What happened to the questions in the Watchtower and why?

by Listener 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Listener
    Listener

Could someone please advise why the questions for public study on a Sunday are no longer in the Watchtower?

Also a while ago now the gatherings in private homes during the week for study also stopped.

I was told that it was in preparation of Armageddon so that individuals could become more independant and have more time to establish their relationship directly with Jehovah. This was because the GB felt people were relying on the organization too much in providing their spiritual needs and with Armageddon it may be that JWs will not be able to access the support network that they currently have.

Another person told me that the smaller group meetings in private homes was stopped because there was a possibility that groups would start interpreting the bible in a way not supported by the organization and would cause disunity. This is a fundamental issue for the organization as they are able to seperate themselves from most religions. Their unity means that what is believed in one part of the world is the exact same as what Jws believe in another part of the world.

This all seems a little strange to me as the 'putting on of armour' helps to strengthen ones resolve in time of warfare and this is what meetings were about as it helped to keep removed from worldly things. But at the same time I'm sure the thinking would be that if individuals learn now to strengthen their direct relationship with God directly then this will strengthen their resolve.

• blondie
    blondie
    Could someone please advise why the questions for public study on a Sunday are no longer in the Watchtower?

I'm not sure what you are asking.

There are not study articles in the WTs date the first of the month.

All study articles are in the WTS dated the 15th of each month and have the questions.

As to the book study being combined with the school and service meeting, I personally feel it is because it is harder and harder to have enough elders to conduct them and private homes to have them in.

The other reasons you were given could just have been true years ago. Historically, the WTS started out meeting in small groups in private homes. Even during the middle of the Great Apostasy in 1980 and 1981 did not move the WTS to eliminate them.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/157205/1/Book-Study-provision-from-Jehovah-quotes-KM-so-why-cancelled-by-GB

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

welcome listener,

the society has dropped the book study at peoples homes a while ago , whatever the excuse they give the real reason is noone was attending, the book study has always had the lowest attendance of the meetings. instead they made it a family worship night which basically lets the family decide to spend time reading bible literiture and yet very few of the flock are taking this seriously as there is always something from the platform about not having a regular FWN. you wont see questions in the mags because you are reading the glossy get you in the door love bomb magazine. they separate the public version from the affectionatly known kool aid edition. that one is for those attending meetings and has all the questions. drink up

• yknot
    yknot

Yes the 'Public' WT is void of questions.....while the 'study edition' has them and is covered on Sunday....

Another reason to end the private Bible Study groups was pedophiles were taking advantage of the arrangement and costing the WTS millions.

Another thing going on at the time was soaring gas prices..... many were forced to choose between the BS and TMS/SM....and BS was winning by a landslide

The rest is about 'control, control, control'.....

The SE WT and Congregation Bible Study as it is now call are also on a shortened format with the WTS desiring only uber-dumbed down just repeat the paragraph sentence answers

• Listener
    Listener

Thanks for the answers.

I am most surprised about the short supply of elders. I guess this is one reason why they started allowing single borthers to serve.

Talking about things being dumbed down, the watchtower magazine has certainly changed greatly over the years. So much so that just about all of it's artices read like an old Awake magazine. There are very few 'meaty' topics discussed these days and very few opinions/views of the organization expressed. It seems that the organization is being very careful in what it now publishes.

• yknot
    yknot

oh no they are not 'careful'......

Here they are having to rely on 'Jesus meant' explanation.....versus the bold gibberish chronology spin Fred would have written....

What does this explanation mean to us? Although we cannot measure the exact length of “this generation,” we do well to keep in mind several things about the word “generation”: It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period; it is not excessively long; and it has an end. (Ex. 1:6) How, then, are we to understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”? He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation. That generation had a beginning, and it surely will have an end. The fulfillment of the various features of the sign clearly indicate that the tribulation must be near. By maintaining your sense of urgency and keeping on the watch, you show that you are keeping up with advancing light and following the leadings of holy spirit.—Mark 13:37.

and now we have three classes...

1 GB-anointed

2. non-GB anointed

3 GC R&F

Hence, anointed Christians along with their other sheep companions strive to stay spritiually strong, cultivating the fruitage of the spirit and working for the peace of the congregation. All Christians, whether anointed or of the other sheep, work hard at preaching the good news and making disciples under the direction of the Governing Body. Anointed Christians are content to do this for as long as it is God’s will that they remain on earth as Jehovah’s servants.

and here is the solid power grab!

When the time comes to clarify a spiritual matter in our day, holy spirit helps responsible representatives of “the faithful and discreet slave” at world headquarters to discern deep truths that were not previously understood. (Matt. 24:45; 1 Cor. 2:13) The Governing Body as a whole considers adjusted explanations. (Acts 15:6) What they learn, they publish for the benefit of all. (Matt.10:27) As time goes on, further clarifications may be needed, and these too are honestly explained.
  • Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome Listener!

In regards to studying the bible.

John 14:16 (New International Version)

16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever

John 14:26 (New International Version)

26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 15:26 (New International Version)

26 "When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me.

1 Corinthians 2:14 (New International Version)

14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

John 3:5-8 (Contemporary English Version)

5 Jesus answered:

I tell you for certain that before you can get into God's kingdom, you must be born not only by water, but by the Spirit. 6 Humans give life to their children. Yet only God's Spirit can change you into a child of God. 7 Don't be surprised when I say that you must be born from above. 8 Only God's Spirit gives new life. The Spirit is like the wind that blows wherever it wants to. You can hear the wind, but you don't know where it comes from or where it is going.

Blessings,

Stephen

• Listener
    Listener

So Stephen, are you saying that we can all benefit from the holy spirit in understanding the bible and things not normally understood by others but we must first bebaptized?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Listener

As with all Watchtower literature, if you look carefully you will find that there are more questions than answers. And the more you find out, the less you know.

• Listener
    Listener

That I am learning and it is all very confusing. I'd say I was taking baby steps and I'm progressing as I'm no longer being spoon fed (as such). Whilst reading the bible alone can be very eluminating it is so easy to miss a lot.

It is made even harder with so many versions of the bible itself, which can translate into such different meanings. I'm sticking with my King James version for the time being.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit