'All Along the Watchtower' - Its True Meaning Revealed!

by sd-7 18 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

For many years, the significance of Bob Dylan's song, All Along the Watchtower, has been unclear. What meaning does it have for us today? How do we understand it in light of what the Bible says? Let us consider.

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief.

--Some who take Jehovah's commands lightly wish to find an escape route from Jehovah's organization. Often they will talk to the "thief", here collectively referring to apostates who lurk in the congregation to deceive unsuspecting ones. (John 10:1, 10)

"There's just too much confusion. I can't get no relief."

--The joker here, as a result of his spiritual weakness, has lost sight of the happy hope that Jehovah's people share. Without Jehovah's clear direction, he has fallen prey to the religious confusion common amongst those who do not have Jehovah's holy spirit. As a result, he has become "faint out of fear" in expectation of the great tribulation to come. (Luke 20:25, 26)

"Businessmen, they drink my wine."

--Sadly, the joker has mistakenly come to see anointed ones as little more than profiteers, men using their theocratic appointments as a means of personal gain. How far from the truth that is! The anointed remnant, above all others, is exemplary in imitating the self-sufficient apostles of old, thus avoiding the snares of the money hungry religious leaders of Christendom. (1 Tim. 6:3-10) These anointed ones, as part of the new covenant, are the only ones who are permitted to partake of the Memorial emblems, including the wine, which represents Christ's "blood of the covenant." (Luke 22:29, 30)

"Plowmen dig my earth."

--The joker now turns his jealous, apostate leanings towards the great crowd of "other sheep", who will look forward to tending to a Paradise earth in the near future. No doubt, these modern-day "plowmen" will dig the earth that once belonged to the wicked, but at most, for the sake of clearing away the disgusting remains of all who fail to recognize Jehovah's sovereignty. (Jer. 25:33; Rev. 7:9-14)

"None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

--The joker here concludes that Jehovah's people do not esteem God's Word as of high value. Far from the truth! Jehovah's Witnesses have long extolled the value of reading God's Word regularly and holding fast to their scriptural hope for the future. (2 Tim. 3:16, 17; Deut. 6:6, 7)

"No reason to get excited," the thief he kindly spoke.

--The thief, here representing apostates, is amongst those who mock Jehovah's purposes, and falsely reason that the end of this system of things is far off. In doing so, he fails to realize that he is fulfilling Bible prophecy regarding the last days. Too late, all such ridiculers will be reminded at Armageddon that Jehovah is not one to be mocked. (2 Pet. 3:3, 4; Gal. 6:7, 8)

"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke."

--The thief is clearly shown to be a composite thief, as there are, sadly, many in the congregations who manifest an attitude similar to that of Satan the Devil. They scoff at Jehovah's reminders. How urgently we need to "avoid them"! (Rom. 16:17)

"But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate."

--The thief invites the like-minded joker to indulge in the self-deception that nothing bad will befall them, that in fact, they are escaping to "freedom" outside of Jehovah's organization. It will not take long for them both to realize just how wrong they are. (1 Thess. 5:3)

"So let us not talk falsely now. The hour is getting late."

--As the signs of the great tribulation are fulfilled, even apostates will be forced to recognize the truth that Jehovah's Witnesses taught. But by then, it will be too late. Likely, the apostate ones merely rest for part of the early evening, then get up to "have a good time", engaging in immoral revelries that defile the flesh and spirit. (1 Cor. 10:7, 11)

"All along the watchtower, princes held the view."

--Spirit-appointed elders continue to shepherd the flock with tenderness, making sure that apostates and those with worldly tendencies do not harm or contaminate Jehovah's clean people. (1 Pet. 5:2; 1 Tim. 6:3-5)

"And all the women came and went, their footservants, too."

--Godly women, living in loyal subjection to the headship arrangement, support their faithful husbands by not jealously demanding more of their time than is really needed. Such women devote themselves to the ministry so that their full attention is on spiritual things, both they, and their "footservants", any children who gladly accompany them in praising Jehovah. (Ps. 68:11; Isa. 52:7)

"Outside in the distance, a wildcat did growl."

--The wild beast, the "disgusting thing standing where it ought not", has been directed to take decisive action against Babylon the Great at the start of the great tribulation. Its growl in anticipation of that act may come in the form of specific declaration. We are wise not to speculate. Whatever the case, Bible prophecy will be fulfilled, and the world empire of false religion will come to an end. (Rev. 17:15-17; 18:2)

"Two riders were approaching; the wind began to howl."

--These two riders are angelic warriors who fight under the banner of Jehovah God and Jesus Christ, who will completely conquer this wicked system of things and its political, religious, and commercial elements. All opponents of God's sovereignty will be completely destroyed. What a glorious time that will be! (Rev. 14:19, 20; 19:19-21)

Can You Recall?

• What did the "joker" suffer as a result of his apostasy, and how can we avoid it?
    • What false reasoning did the "thief" use, and why do we know that Jehovah's promises will never fail?
    • What future event must we remain on the watch for, and how will you feel once it happens?
  • zoiks
    zoiks

Ah, WTS "reasoning" tactics can be used to twist anything into...anything. Sd-7 has obtained the formula. There is no telling what he'll do now!

• caliber
    caliber

Your application is not surprising as the WT has every event or character in the Bible relating to the anointed remnant today .

"A good student is like his teacher " ..... it has been said

Is this "spirit directed " or just off the top of your head ???

• Listener
    Listener

I am wondering where this article comes from, is it something you wrote yourself sd-7 or from the watchtower? Anyway here is my view on several of the comments

"

"All along the watchtower, princes held the view."

--Spirit-appointed elders continue to shepherd the flock with tenderness, making sure that apostates and those with worldly tendencies do not harm or contaminate Jehovah's clean people. (1 Pet. 5:2; 1 Tim. 6:3-5)"

How can it be claimed that the elders are spirit appointed?

"Businessmen, they drink my wine."

--Sadly, the joker has mistakenly come to see anointed ones as little more than profiteers, men using their theocratic appointments as a means of personal gain. How far from the truth that is! The anointed remnant, above all others, is exemplary in imitating the self-sufficient apostles of old, thus avoiding the snares of the money hungry religious leaders of Christendom. (1 Tim. 6:3-10) These anointed ones, as part of the new covenant, are the only ones who are permitted to partake of the Memorial emblems, including the wine, which represents Christ's "blood of the covenant." (Luke 22:29, 30)

Aren't those claiming to be annointed fortelling their own future and thus prophecing?

The claim that the annointed are, above all others, exemplary in imitating the self-sufficient apostles of old is not right. Who is making this claim? I agree that many may strive to do this but the case is that they are not above all others in this aspect. There are many faithfull servants that are exemplary and some more than the annointed. Who has made this judgement and put these annointed on such a high pedestal?

• Listener
    Listener

"And all the women came and went, their footservants, too."

--Godly women, living in loyal subjection to the headship arrangement, support their faithful husbands by not jealously demanding more of their time than is really needed. Such women devote themselves to the ministry so that their full attention is on spiritual things, both they, and their "footservants", any children who gladly accompany them in praising Jehovah. (Ps. 68:11; Isa. 52:7)

This is so subjective. It is actually telling husbands that they have a right to do only what is really needed in helping their wives. That is not right and they should be doing all that they can in supporting their wives. They should remain single if they are not willing and devoted to providing a wholly loving and caring relationship. That means that their own full attention should not always on spiritual matters (although always acting in accordance and obediance to God) but the caring of their family, both with their time and support. They should be weighing up their responsibilities in not taking on too much ministerial work so that they can also devote their time to their family.

To twist this responsibility of husbands around to the wives by saying they should not be jealously demanding is quite unfair. There are some elders who have very little time left for their own families, of course this will make their wives jealous and although it is right that she is not allowed to demand more she should not be put in the position to be made to feel this way. And what is the answer to the solution that is provided? Well she needs to be devoting her full attention to spiritual things and the ministry. But this also overlooks her own full responsibilities as likewise, she needs to spend her time looking after her children and caring for the family and their needs.

By the way, those scriptures quoted have very little to do with the comments made.

• DocBob
    DocBob

sd-7, you are WAY too good that this. I recommend some serious professional counseling. :)

• TastingFreedom
    TastingFreedom

You are the true channel rather than the Watchtower, or you are simply delusional and need your meds right now!

• zoiks
    zoiks

Hi Listener, and welcome!

Satire is one of my favorite forms of comedy. Sd-7 is particularly good at satirizing the WTS' way of 'reasoning' as well as their writing style.

• Listener
    Listener

Thanks Zoiks, I'm having a good chuckle and my comment about scripture quotes just makes it funnier.

• Damocles
    Damocles

I had a irresistable urge to get up and go back to the bathroom as I read those words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit