JW's don't go church... they go to the Kingdom hall

by loosie 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

On a good day I use 'church' when talking to Dubs, usually describing their religion, or KH as 'your church', their doctrines as 'what your religious leaders teach'.

The grammar I use doesn't give them wiggle room to pronounce that they are 'not a church' and none have tried to 'correct' me.

To make them feel comfortable, I make it clear that, although I was born to members of their church, I never joined it and don't follow a bunch of men in the Vatican, Utah or Brooklyn.

Never let them get away with anything that makes them look at all special or different. There is always someone doing whatever it is that they are boasting about, and probably doing it better.

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

They're so big on calling it a church for the same reason that they're so big on all the other jargon - they use "in group" language to seperate themselves from outsiders. And they also update the language every so often so that people can't just drift back in like nothing happened after they leave for awhile.

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

Excuse me, on NOT calling it a church

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "They're so big on calling it a church for the same reason that they're so big on all the other jargon - they use "in group" language to seperate themselves from outsiders. And they also update the language every so often so that people can't just drift back in like nothing happened after they leave for awhile. ...."

Yup. Very true, Liberty 93 - I assume you left in 1993???

Welcome to the board!

Zid - the resident she-devil...

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Another aspect is that they can trademark the Kingdom Hall TM name so that no one else can use it. Their basic nature is a corporation with a brand and product to sell.

If you have more new light, then that means you had more old darkness.

- Kurt Bethel

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

This was just another invention of Rutherford to make it look like JWs were different from everyone else. He was obsessed with being different. He wanted to create a legacy that would be traced back to himself. Hence the terms "Jehovah's Witnesses", "Kingdom Hall", etc...

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

When I first heard of Kingdom Hall I thought it was a holy roller place. The name made me think of a pool hall. So I figured a Kingdom hall would be a rowdy place.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

The KH could do with being a bit more rowdy. That would at least make it interesting.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

KingDung Hole..

It`s where JW`s get fresh WBT$ Crap..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

See Ambersun's reply. A church might be a building but also a congregation or spiritual body. To me these convey something that is warm, human. The term 'Kingdom Hall' conveys nothing!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit