questions about obtaining Higher Education for JWs

by AjaxMan 24 Replies latest jw friends

• DIM
    DIM

they allow college now, but it is still frowned upon by most people within the congregation.

i'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight-short-sighted-narrow minded hypocritics. all i want is the truth just gimme some truth - John Lennon

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

DIM,

Is there or was there any article in WTS publications that states that it is allowed to attend college and particularly 4 year university or higher education?

Ajax

• DIM
    DIM

Ajax,

i'm sure there has been articles, i'll do a search on the CD-Rom later today....4 year colleges are not officially approved and are a great cause for concern, 2 year colleges are the norm for most JW kids after high school...if they go to college.

i'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight-short-sighted-narrow minded hypocritics. all i want is the truth just gimme some truth - John Lennon

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

Although the WT publications meant for the public (Asleep! and Watchtower) have lightened up on higher education in the last 10 years, very rarely have they actually used the words 'university' or 'college'. Instead, they use the term 'supplementary education'. I tend to think they use this term to encourage some type of limited vocational course, as opposed to a traditional university education.

The Society has never ENCOURAGED university learning though, as INTERNAL publications (Kingdom Ministry & talk outlines) strongly discourage, even condemning it. Therefore, the Society gives the public the impression they are pro-education, where the facts speak otherwise.

In addition, as I know from personal experience, most who are a full-time college students will have a VERY HARD time in the congregation, and will most likely be alienated or left out of the social scene. (At least this is my experience.)

• JT
    JT

nytelcom SAYS:

IF one wants to know is it ok to go to college- be it a 2 yr or 4 yr or for PHD ---all a person has to do is look into the bible

well i showed that comment to the staff here at work and everyone laughed at this guy in terms of he actually believes that the bible comments on whether a person should or should not go to college

so i shared with them teh wt Advice/view/dogma/suggestions/LEANING whatever you want to CALL IT BACK in 1969 when they told young folks that they would never use thier degree- just think a jw who folowed that wonderful god directed advice due to the end being so close would have finished college over 30 yrs agon and they would now be ready to RETIRE

THEY ALL REALIZE THAT THIS POSTER IS A FOOL

and i love it when a jw like this makes a comment like the one that NYTELCOM made

AS I ALWAYS SAY

you could not make up this stuff and expect it to be this good

only a JW can open their mouth this wide and insert foot

james
    just look in the Bible for your answer
    the key is balance

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

Hope this is not too long.

*** yp 177 22 What Career Should I Choose? ***
    A university degree may or may not improve your employment prospects. But one fact is indisputable: “The time left is reduced”! (1 Corinthians 7:29) For all its presumed benefits, would four years or more in a university be the best use of that remaining time?—Ephesians 5:16.
    Would a university education steer you toward or away from your spiritual goals? Remember, a high income is not a Christian priority. (1 Timothy 6:7, 8) Yet, a survey of U.S. university administrators described today’s students as ‘career-oriented, concerned with material success, concerned with self.’ One group of students said: “Money. It seems like all we talk about is money.” How might being immersed in an atmosphere of intense competition and selfish materialism affect you?
    Universities may no longer have the riotous scenes of the 1960’s. But a decrease in university bedlam hardly means the campus environment is wholesome. Concluded one study of campus life: “Students still have almost unlimited freedom in personal and social matters.” Drugs and alcohol are used freely, and promiscuity is the rule—not the exception. If this is true of universities in your land, might living there thwart your efforts to remain morally clean?—1 Corinthians 6:18.
    Alternatives to University Education
    In view of these facts, many Christian youths have decided against a university education. Many have found that the training offered in congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses—the weekly Theocratic Ministry School in particular—has given them a real edge in finding employment. Though not possessing a university degree, such youths learn to be poised, adept at expressing themselves, and quite capable of handling responsibility. Furthermore, while in secondary school, some take courses in typing, computer programming, auto repair, machine-shop work, and so forth. Such skills may lend themselves to part-time employment and are often in high demand. And though many youths disdain ‘working with their hands,’ the Bible dignifies doing “hard work.” (Ephesians 4:28; compare Proverbs 22:29.) Why, Jesus Christ himself learned a trade so well that he came to be called “the carpenter”!—Mark 6:3.
    True, in some lands university graduates have so flooded the job market that it is hard to obtain even commonplace jobs without some additional job training. But often there are apprenticeship programs, vocational or technical schools, and short-term university courses that teach marketable skills with a minimum investment of time and money. Never forget, too, that there is a factor that employment statistics do not take into account: God’s promise to provide for those who give priority to spiritual interests.—Matthew 6:33

Now after reading all of that, what conclusion would one reach about a university education?

Pureheart

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

NotBlind,
    Ditto to all that you said. This is such a sore subject with me. All of the vacilating the WTBTS "appears" to do on this subject. In the nineties, there was a WT article(s) sort of giving the ok to higher ed, although university has never gotten the nod really. Always the reason for continuing with post HS education- to support yourself in the pioneer work. Uh huh.. The articles brought out how this was a matter between parents and their children and that no one should be judged by other's for the decision they make. Then, in 2001, a kingdom ministry insert giving a rather cut and dry negative attitude toward higher ed. As long as I have been involved with these fanatics, they have done this flip flop every few years. Give the ok and then, sooner or later, take it all back! And so on and so on.. Everyone knows the REAL way the WT wants you to go, no matter what pretentious PR drivel they come out with in the rags.
    There is nothing new under the watchtower sun.
    Chakka

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

HAA HAA HAA HAA!!!

In view of these facts, many Christian youths have decided against a university education. Many have found that the training offered in congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses—the weekly Theocratic Ministry School in particular—has given them a real edge in finding employment. Though not possessing a university degree, such youths learn to be poised, adept at expressing themselves, and quite capable of handling responsibility. Furthermore, while in secondary school, some take courses in typing, computer programming, auto repair, machine-shop work, and so forth. Such skills may lend themselves to part-time employment and are often in high demand.
    I'll clear my resume of educational references and put down the Theocratic Ministry School. Let's see how many jobs, other than window washer, I get.

What a joke! This is the B/S they gave me 20 years ago. I went to the community college simply because my mother thought I would never get married and be "leeching" off of her. When she found out loans and grants would pay for the 4 years I was on my way.

It was a wonderful experience.

Universities may no longer have the riotous scenes of the 1960’s. But a decrease in university bedlam hardly means the campus environment is wholesome. Concluded one study of campus life: “Students still have almost unlimited freedom in personal and social matters.” Drugs and alcohol are used freely, and promiscuity is the rule—not the exception. If this is true of universities in your land, might living there thwart your efforts to remain morally clean?—1 Corinthians 6:18.
    The above all is true. It also taught me how to balance my meager budget, pay my bills, apply for a credit card, make my own decisions, and become independent.

I lived in a co-ed dorm-that allowed alcohol (I was 21). 32 young men and 12 young women. I slept with only two of them. I drank and did drugs with all of them. Oh Glory Days!

AHHH! Key word. Independent. Don't want that. Too hard to "lead" when someone is "independent."

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

here are just a few quotes from the WT of Sept 15, 1971.
    Perhaps adequately demonstrating the orgs position in the early 70s..

page 563 :..."All worldly careers are soon to come to an end.So why should todays youth get interested in "higher education" for a future that will never eventuate? The colleges are falling into chaos anyway"...

..."there is the "highest education" that Jehovah provides thru his organization, preparing for a satisfying career of full time service that goes on forever"....

...."politically,commercially,morally- this world has had it. Education is in disorder"....

..."parents fortify your children,see that they avoid the bad influences at school-dances,parties, dating."....

all in all something of an anti education position.
    Of course, there was an expectation in the air at that time,stances are always more extreme in a crisis situation.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Yep, I remember the attitude toward higher education from the mid- to late-70s...and have noted the "softening" of this attitude in recent years. Many of the JWs of my generation, who did not go to college as I did, have now gone to community college as adults--it's common in my mother's congregation.

What's most irritating about this, though, is the organizational amnesia that accompanies this change in doctrine (and, I suppose, accompanies all such changes in doctrine). When I mentioned the fact that JWs have changed their minds about college, my mother said "Oh, no we haven't! It's always been all right to get an education!"

It's as if the old doctrine never existed. This, in spite of the fact that these very WT and Awake articles are in very dusty and unopened bound volumes lining the shelves in my mother's house.

Far more frightening to me than the fact that the Borg change their doctrine over time is the fact that they act as if the doctrine never changed.

Jankyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit