Do You Think It's Improper To Make Fun Of The Name "Jehovah"?

by minimus 69 Replies latest jw friends

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

When I was a kid they said it was impolite for children to call adults by their first name. Until an adult said it was OK to use their name, we were to say Mr or Mrs. or Brother or Sister.

I asked....how come it's OK to call God by his name....but not adults??

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    I asked....how come it's OK to call God by his name....but not adults??

Oooo.. logic. I would have gotten a spanking for that sort of 'smart alik' response.

- Lime

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Ahh ok, I guess I'd better say Mr. Jehovah then.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Ahh ok, I guess I'd better say Mr. Jehovah then.

Heavenly Father, Lord, Almighty, God....

I heard a tape of a talk given by a Brother from the Branch office somewhere in Africa. It was being circulated around because he was interesting to listen to. I remember he was talking about praying to Jehovah for help with a matter and he said " So I made it a matter of prayer....I said, Now Look Here Jehovah, I've need your help with something....."

Everyone thought this was so clever but I couldn't help but think it seemed pretty disrespectful for this speck of dust to say "Now Look Here"....to the Almighty.

• crapola
    crapola

I personally don't think it's proper to make fun of the name. I do believe that god's name is Jehovah. It's the false things we have been led to believe about him that has led some to make fun of his name. That's the same as a person making fun of someone because of what another family member has done. Anyway, I feel I need to show respect.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Don't do it near Elisha, I'm just sayin'.

• BrotherPeterGriffin
    BrotherPeterGriffin

I am an atheist, so I don't think that making fun of the name Jehovah is offensive to any higher power. I do believe, however, in being respectful of other people and their beliefs, even when I disagree with them and even when they do not extend me the same courtesy. Thus, out of respect to my mom, my grandma and other people I care about, I don't poke fun at the so-called divine name when they are around. Sometimes, though, when with people who think like me, I may make a joke or two, but very rarely.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Hahaha... MB, that's the most heartwarming story in the OT! All those children were rebellious and disrespectful to Elisha yet so cooperative when it came to standing in line for the she-bears to tear them to pieces.

BPG, we've gotta hear your story. Give us a thread!

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I believe in the God of the Bible. His name derived from YWHW has been transliterated JHVH and Jehovah has come to be an accepted version of His name, just as Jesus is widely accepted and used more than the truer to original version Yeshua. I personally think that it is improper for me to make fun of the name, and, though it makes me uncomfortable to hear others make fun of it, I don't expect everyone to feel the same as I do.

I feel a sadness for those who once believed in that name and can have such disregard for it now. I blame the religion for misrepresenting Jehovah and robbing them of a healthy faith.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Whether it's ok or not...it does bother me. Since I still think of God as "Jehovah" (even though I know that is not his true name) I still view it as an insult to God. Whether it is TRUELY his name or not, you are directing the insult at him....

I understand atheists doing it. But I don't understand "Christians" doing it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit