Why do some expect the WTS to one day end? It's simply not going to happen folks........

by jambon1 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

Homo Sapiens will support cults for AT LEAST another couple hundred years, IMO.

I hope I'm wrong.

om

• bigmac
    bigmac

i wonder what will come first--the collapse of the WTS or armageddon?

neither in my lifetime

am i bothered?---no, & haven't been for 30 years now.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

i dont think they will end completly, i believe they are sitting on 1 billion in real estate. however they will not exist as we knew it, and it will be alot smaller. the wts is in trouble in its current state, and they will continue to downsize. but in 10-15 years it will not be reconizable. imo

• blondie
    blondie

I don't believe that the WWCOG is gone but merely splintered off the original group and several other groups. There is an orginal group that meets in Milwaukee where one member shot several others killing two. Roderick Meredith heads the break off group from the original and I have seen tv shows that they sponsor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Church_of_God

• jgnat
    jgnat

There are always a core who "believe" to the bitter end, regardless of the facts. It's not facts that hold them. The failure of their belief system is a much deeper horror that they will avoid at all cost.

It's a rare person who will reach deep inside and face their own self-delusions. This is much broader than religion and can include images of our self-worth, body image, intelligence, success..... Hence, mid-life crisis. Which is easier, to settle for who we really are, or buy a motorcycle and exchange our spouse for a younger model?

As an organization, I think the WTBTS is vulnerable to failure. Maybe not a catastrophic collapse, but a slow whimper. The Quakers and the Shakers faded out because of their strict abstinence provisions. They could not reproduce to the next generation. Besides, their ascetic lifestyle, though attractive on paper, is very difficult to sustain.

Who thinks the society is adaptive enough to sustain itself through a future where the printed word is only found through the internet...no printing presses?

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Follow the money and nothing else. Has long as the money is there, they continue to exist.

How do you lose billions in real estate?

Religious wise they know that they will keep getting tax breaks.

Once the religious aspects disappear they will have too pay millions in taxes.

So, they will keep a tight grip religious wise, to not have to pay those taxes.

My thoughts, anyone else think like me.

Blueblades

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I agree with Metatron. Compare the WT org with that of 50 years ago and it is barely recognisable. If you could bring a JW stalwart of 50 years ago forward in time and show them the quality (or lack of it) of the literature, mnistry or the lack of dedication from the majority of JWs now, they would be shocked.

I don't expect it to come down like a house of cards one day but, IMO, anyone who views the WT as invincible has built the org up in their mind to be something it isn't.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

IMO, it took them 130 yrs to get where they are now and it'll take at least another century for them to fade away. There will be no catastrophic collapse. I have to repeat PT Barnum's quote about there being 'a sucker born every minute'. As long as religion exists, cults will too...

V665

• flipper
    flipper

JAMBON- I feel you are using black & white reasoning. There is simply no way of knowing whether or not the WT society will one day end. It very may wel end, but years down the road. Or it may continue as it gradually sees it's demise. No one knows the future

• factfinder
    factfinder

Some people are happy being witnesses. Whatever the teachings and problems are they have something making them happy and will overlook everything else. As long as there are people like that in the org it will continue.

I do agree though that in 50 years or so it will have undergone so many changes that none of us would recognize it if we are still alive then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit