Jesus Is Not the Atonement.

by whereami 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Some have stated the view that Jesus is YHWH and the Elohim is "God the father", there was a thread about that.

Not sure about it myself since the Qualities of YHWH don't match up wih the qualites shown and preached and exemplified by Jesus, but then again, the scribes didn't always write what was but what they wanted people to think was.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

It is understandable that 2000 years ago there was some confusion among Jews about the new idea of a divine son of God. Theological debates about about atonement and whether Jesus is Yahweh or Yahweh is Jesus are par for the course.

But before I could publicly claim to have a personal relationship with Jesus and that his spirit had borne witness with mine, I would expect to know without a shadow of a doubt whom I was having that relationship with.

If Jesus was unable to communicate such a vital and fundamental piece of information to me, I am afraid I would have to assume that we were not communicating.

My apologies for spoiling the party. I will return to my box and secure the lid.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    My apologies for spoiling the party. I will return to my box and secure the lid.

No, no!

Into the arena with you!

A laurel wreath awaits.

Syl

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

This guy is a joke. If we read Hebrews 9 & 10 in context we can see there really is no conflict. The point was, that the year to year ritual the Jews performed was only meant to be a temporary cleansing looking forward to Christ and was inferior for that reason. This guy isn't very bright either. His use of psalm 49:7 is not correct. If you read the context you can clearly see that was talking about redemption through riches.

Psa 49:6

Even those who trust in their wealth And boast in the abundance of their riches? 7 No man can by any means redeem his brother Or give to God a ransom for him-- 8 For the redemption of his soul is costly, And he should cease trying forever-- 9 That he should live on eternally, That he should not undergo decay. 10 For he sees that even wise men die; The stupid and the senseless alike perish And leave their wealth to others.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    But before I could publicly claim to have a personal relationship with Jesus and that his spirit had borne witness with mine, I would expect to know without a shadow of a doubt whom I was having that relationship with.

I admire your tenacity, a gladiator to the end !

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Sorry Leo, it was 17 months not 18....

Referring to the First Council of Nicea.....

"As yet, no God had been selected by the council, and so they balloted in order to determine that matter... For one year and five months the balloting lasted..." (God's Book of Eskra, Prof. S. L. MacGuire's translation, Salisbury, 1922, chapter xlviii, paragraphs 36, 41).

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

WC

FULL TRINITY that YHWH is Jesus, and Jesus is YHWH.

Snowbird is right. This is not what the Trinity or the bible teaches.

• donuthole
    donuthole

Jesus is the embodiment of the Law and the Prophets.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I would like to add that the vestiges of "human sacrifice" which are bound up with the Atonement idea are troubling to me, to say the least.

Note, of course, that I am no theologian - but just cannot see why a God would legally be required to demand the human sacrifice of his own son (without recourse) or else no other human could live...

• undercover
    undercover

I bet you'd want him to buy you flowers and take you to dinner before putting out too...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit