Advice for a single "brother"

by gutted 12 Replies latest social relationships

• gutted
    gutted

Hey gang,

I thought, hell, I've gotten great advice here as far as religious matters, why not as far as dating.

Little background: I'm 26 and single. I've never had a real life gf, I've had a couple of online worldy gfs when I was in the "truth" but never met them because of the JW thing.

Basically I want to meet someone and start dating. I'm looking for any tips as I'm a fish out of water in this regard. Maybe from someone who has been in a similar situation. What are good places to go, things to do, ways to approach that have worked for you (guys) or that you liked (gals).

Sincerely & discreetly,

Your brother

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Get involved in clubs, volunteer groups, weekend sports (hiking, tai chi in the park, swimming), gym classes (stretching, aerobics, kickboxing), take a community college course.

You'll meet people! You'll engage in conversation, find similar likes, find interesting differences.

It's great to meet people, get to know them, and see what pops up.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I'll give advice from a female perspective. I've had guys approach me in many places. The bookstore is often a good place. Just be nice and polite. You don't have to have a cheesy line or anything. Just smile, introduce yourself, ask her name. Be casual. Compliment her. Be prepared for rejection; don't freak out when it happens.

• miseryloveselders
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

What VoidEater said.

Engage is fun/positive activities outside your home. You'll meet people. Be yourself.

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Just get out there really. If you've done the online thing, try that; match, chemistry, plentyoffish, etc.. But more than anything, just get out there and do what you like; get involved in a hobby or a project and link up with like minds and basially meet like-minded people.Volunteer.

Get out of the habit of thinking that you inept at dating or don't know how to do it. Whenever you go out on a date, you learn something about the experience, so essentially there is no right or single correct way to do it beyond 'not being an a$$hole.' You're essentially just meeting a person and you meet people all the time; don't make it up to be some big thing you can't do

Build up your confidence because women like that; no matter what 'type' of guy you may be, confidence is one of the most important things a man (or woman) can possess when attracting anything, from a date, a job, friends, etc. if you have trouble talking to people, this may be an area you might want to work on. Start small and work your way up.

Don't try to hard. Get out of the witness mindset that you're looking for 'a mate'. You're not a penguin for heaven's sake nor are you gonna settle down with the first 5 or 10 women you date or hang out with. Relax and go with the flow.

Take yourself to a gym because a healthier body goes a long way in helping you to feeling better about yourself, being confident, and helping others to come to you. And no, you don't have to be a gladiator or ripped; working out just does something for you. (However you could just say 'eff me' 'cause ther are tons of people who like a big guy...if you are a big guy.. myself included, heh)

And over all, be yourself.... just be open to trying new things and making yourself uncomfortable at times to get over the JW awkwardness. Matter of fact, 'own' and 'work' the JW awkwardness 'cause there are tons of people who find that interesting. For some strange reason (worldly people are weird and crazy afterall...)

Aaaand thats all the advice I have. Dating 'sucks' for everyone; but you're doing yourself and a special person out there a disservice by being a hermit.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Also, when you go out, even just to the store, running errands, etc be conscious of how you look. You would think that goes without saying but so many people go out looking like they just rolled out of bed, or grown men who walk around in the huge jeans/pants hanging down; instant turn-off.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Don't be afraid to get shot down/rejected. "Go for 'No', as they say in retail. Eventually you'll get a 'Yes'.

In a few weeks, you'll be on here, asking us how to "break up"with a girl.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Have you tried Craigslist?

• wasblind
    wasblind

WARNING: have fun meeting people, but do not lower your standards.

follow your instincts, if it doesn't feel right, walk away. Now here's a

dollar to catch a cab, and a dime to call home. Also keep in mind the

good advice that have been given from the posters above. Take care

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit