"Just as the days of Noah"

by sabastious 94 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Luke 17: 26-35: 26 "Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27 People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.
    28 "It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. 29 But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.
    30 "It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed. 31 On that day no one who is on the roof of his house, with his goods inside, should go down to get them. Likewise, no one in the field should go back for anything. 32 Remember Lot's wife! 33 Whoever tries to keep his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it. 34 I tell you, on that night two people will be in one bed; one will be taken and the other left. 35 Two women will be grinding grain together; one will be taken and the other left."

From this scripture, it would seem that Armageddon (from a Biblical standpoint, that is) is going to be something very similar to what the JWs teach.

This, to me, is such a dangerous scripture and I believe has a large part in the creation of destructive Christian groups. We all ridicule the JWs for believing that God is going to destroy everyone but it's WHAT THE BIBLE says:

Just as in the days of Noah... God will destroy them ALL.

8 People were left after the Flood. According to the above scriptures there will be an equal ratio left after the big A.

How would the Christians explain these words of Jesus? Is he really going to come back and kill everyone (including children, just as in Noah's day)?

-Sab

• snowbird
    snowbird

Since you don't like Revelation or The Message Bible, ta da!, I bring to you Zechariah from the American Standard Version.

Zechariah 14:3 Then shall Jehovah go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. 4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east; and the mount of Olives shall be cleft in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south. 5 And ye shall flee by the valley of my mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azel; yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah; and Jehovah my God shall come, and all the holy ones with thee. ASV

I see Him fighting only against those who fight against Him.

Syl

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    How would the Christians explain these words of Jesus? Is he really going to come back and kill everyone (including children, just as in Noah's day)?

Nope. Noah never was. Jesus might have been, but is no more. Neither is coming back, even metaphorically. The kids will be fine. No ratios to worry about. No concern of the 'end' either.

Now the alter ego/dark opposite of Santa and The Tooth Fairy do bother me. Atnas and Yriaf Htoot are seeking to capture souls to take them to hell. This is something to worry about, since they cover their tracks well.

Jeff

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

MOST Christians alive today are not Apocalyptic. Rather, they are actively trying to promote the ideals of Christ and his Kingdom on the Earth, right now.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well, IF you choose to use the bible, as AK-Jeff clearly does not, to explain or try to understand what happened and will happen, then you have to understand what was written and how and why and for whom.

Whether Noah was an actual person or not is irrelevant to the story:

A man was warned that a great catastrophe would happen, almost no one believed him, they were killed and those they did, survived.

The story of Soddom is one of "God's justice may seem tardy but it will come", yet they could have been saved since Abe struck a deal with YHWH, unfortunatley for them, there weren't even 10 woth saving ( if I remember the number correctly), Lot's wife disobeyed and made her choice and paid the price too ( though the rest of the story is rather disturbing to say the least).

So what can we get out of these stories?

God's judgment will come, people will be warned, they will have ample time and the evidence will be conclusive, the choice is theirs and they will have no one to blame but themselves for THEIR CHOICE.

Or at least that is one POSSIBLE interpretation.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Just as there was no earthwide flood that killed every living creature except for 8 people and several dozen species of animals in a big wooden box there is not going to be a genocidal war between God and men.

So technically, the clause "just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the son of man will be" is true.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Since you don't like Revelation or The Message Bible, ta da!, I bring to you Zechariah from the American Standard Version.

That made me laugh (in a good way!) good form!

So how does your scripture synergize with my scripture about the big A being JUST as Noah's day? Your assertion would make it seem very different than Noah's day.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    God's judgment will come, people will be warned, they will have ample time and the evidence will be conclusive, the choice is theirs and they will have no one to blame but themselves for THEIR CHOICE.

This sounds very JW.

I kind of side with the people Noah was warning, why would they all be destroyed? They already were being punished because of sin through death. No need for a second punishment.

When did God set rules about being "too immoral" when he gave humans the boot from the Garden?

-Sab

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The one common ground it seems in the Gospels, the epistiles and revelations in regards to Armegedon is that it will come "by surprise" to an extent and that it will catch most people unawares because it can't be predicted, but that Judgement will PRECEED "destruction".

• sabastious
    sabastious
    but that Judgement will PRECEED "destruction"

Can you give a tangible reason as to why there needs to be destruction before judgement?

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit