Article: Five JWs Deported from Bali for Conducting Door-to-Door Religious Ministry

by AndersonsInfo 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    I guess the entire country of Bali is a "do not call", now.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

As already mentioned, WHERE WAS THE HOLY SPRITS PROTECTION??

Oh that's right....there is no magical HOLY SPIRIT directing witnesses.....

Reminds me of the biblical account where the Baal worshippers were challenged :"call out louder...maybe he is in the toilet!"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It's already been said how JW's should wonder where the Holy Spirit and/or angels were for this.

It's already been said that they are lucky deportation was all they got. They were violating a law and I bet they knew it. I think there are different visas for tourists and for preachers. Bali probably doesn't issue the preacher visa.

• Watchtower-Free
  • sir82
    sir82

So were these missionaries sent in by the WTS, or just ignorant nitwits who figured that "Jehovah would protect them" as they decided to flout "Caesar's laws" on their own?

I wonder if there is any way to find out for sure.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

@ Watchtower-Free - this is something the WTS will never post on their 'newsroom' link.

I've always wondered why faithful witnesses who were killed doing WTS work were never mentioned on their site or in their magazines. When they were mentioned in magazines they would downplay the deaths as something that Jehovah willed which always made me sick. The WTS always try to play both sides of the argument.

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity
    They should have gone to Papua. Anything that diverts the Papuans from raising the Morning Star Flag would have made them the darlings of the police over there, I imagine.
  • TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"While the Jehovah Witness is a recognized religious sect in Indonesia, it is expressly forbidden for any religion to actively promote their religious doctrine to differing sects or religions."

You're free to be a Christian - but shhhh! don't tell anybody. Exactly how dictatorships work. Like in the old East-European countries and the USSR - it was allowed to be a Christian, AND it was allowed to be an atheist, but ONLY atheist propaganda was allowed, NOT Christian. Finely tuned rules. Indonesia is a corrupt Moslem country, and like in many of the Moslem countries - and Hindu - , Christian Groups are allowed, but not foreigners and not preaching to Moslems. There are no JW missionaries in Indonesia, so these were tourists trying to spice up their holiday a bit thru invigting to the Memorial, but that clearly was too much for the smiling and friendly Indonesian authorities. Fascist corrupt nations are themselves alike.

• steve2
    steve2

TOH, you need to do your homework. Violent factional religious conflicts have bedevilled Indonesia for decades. Full credit to the secular authorities for coming down swift and hard on any breaches of that country's clear laws against religious proslyetizing - which has led to an uneasy peace - but peace it is compared to the unrest of recent times.

Anyone who has lived in that 'neck of the woods' will know what I am talking about. I worked in Indonesia and was based also in Singapore (where JWs are banned) and Malaysia (where the witnesses are recognized but face the same restrictions as exist in Indonesia). At various times, religious differences have led to all manner of violence and public disruption.

BTW, Indonesia authorities responded to the 5 male tourists' religious activities only after members of the public protested about their door-to-door work.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I bet we won't see this on the website!

But I also bet that these people will be viewed as legendary idols amongst their home congregations when they return....and will be held up as examples etc at assemblies for years to come!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit