Do you ever "spiritualize" songs?

by Inkie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Inkie
    Inkie

Do you ever or have you ever “spiritualized” secular songs? I find that I have done it quite a bit in my life. I don’t really know why—just recognize that I do it. Awhile back I fell in love the song “Make It Real” by The Jets. I just love that song and in the process of loving that song whenever it was played on the radio, I tended spiritualized it, and by that I mean that I sang it to God and loved God while in the singing of that song heightened by the beautiful music and beautiful lyrics and beautiful voices. It was me with those lyrics pleading with God. This—singing it to God—happened for quite a length of time whenever it was that I heard it played.

Curiously, one day, after having sung it to God for I don’t know how long, I had an epiphany so to speak. In a “moment of time,” while in the middle of my singing it to God I suddenly realized that I wasn’t singing that song to God, but rather, God was singing it to me. Wow! Upon that realization I had a profound awareness of God calling me, pleading with me, with the lyrics of that secular song and not the other way around as I had first thought of it. It made an even greater impact on me than I had originally had after spiritualizing it.

Anyway, I just thought I ask you all the question I did: Do you ever or have you ever “spiritualize” secular songs? If so, what songs?

--Inkie

Make it Real, by The Jets:

Tonight it's been a year
    we met each other here
    Here I am all alone
    as thoughts of you go on

Hear me cryin' out to you
    you said, "Never, never would I leave"
    Here's a tear from me to you
    and maybe it will make you hear me

chorus:
    I loved you
    You didn't feel the same
    Though we're apart
    You're in my heart
    Give me one more chance to
    Make it real

In a dream you are here
    You smile and hold me near
    And in my heart I'll pretend
    that you are here again

Hear me cryin' out to you
    You said, "Never, never would I leave"
    Here's a tear from me to you
    and maybe it will make you hear me

chorus

Make it real

• watersprout
    watersprout

That song is beautiful!

I can't recall ever spiritulizing a song, i probably have done, just can't remember off the top of my head...

Babysprout loves ''you raise me up'' when Ill divo sing it. She sings it with such passion and her arms go up in the air and she closes her eyes and you can see the love on her face..... She is tone deaf and only sings in one note.... flat...... But it's the love she has for Christ when she sings it that makes it sound sooo beautiful....

Peace and light my brother in Christ

• Libelle
    Libelle

Yeah, a few here and there. La Montana (The Mountain - don't know how to make the tilde over the n) by the Gyspy Kings is very spiritual to me.

• watersprout
    watersprout

I remembered the song that used to affect me... When i read the lyrics i finally understood that God was reaching out to me.

''When you believe'' Whitney and mariah duet...

'Many nights we prayed with no proof anyone could hear,

in our hearts a hopeful song we barely understand.

Now we are not afraid although we know there's to fear,

we were moving mountains long before we knew we could.

CHORUS

There can be miracles when you believe,

though hope is frail it's hard to kill.

Who knows what miracle you can achieve when you believe

Somehow you will, you will when you believe.

Verse 2

In this time of fear when prayers so often proves in vain,

hope seems like the summer birds swiftly flown away.

And now i'm standing here my hearts so full i can't explain,

seeking faith and speaking words i'd never thought i'd say.

CHORUS

There can be miracles when you believe though hope is frail it's hard to kill.

Who knows what miracle you can achieve when you believe

Somehow you will,

You will when you believe

Verse 3

They don't always happen when you ask and it's easy to give in to your fear.

But when your blinded by your pain, can't see your way safe through the rain.

Though of a still resilient voice says love is very near.

CHORUS

There can be miracles when you believe though hope is frail it's hard to kill.

Who knows what miracle you can achieve when you believe,

somehow you will.

You will when you believe.

You will when you - you will when you believe.

Peace and light my brother in Christ

• undercover
    undercover

Closer by Nine Inch Nails

• snowbird
    snowbird

I loved you
    You didn't feel the same
    Though we're apart
    You're in my heart
    Make it real

Inkie, I love that song!

Once, when my little JW daughter was about 2 and 1/2, we were listening to it on the car radio.

She wanted to know who the singer loved. I told her that I didn't know.

She then said, with such touching innocence, "Maybe me?"

That has stayed with me these 19 years.

Syl

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Nas-NY State of Mind

It drops deep, as it does in my breath, I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death

behind the walls of intelligence life is defined, I think of crime, when I'm in a New York State of Mind.

This verse always reminded me of Ecclesiastes verses on death, and how as JWs we had a condescending view towards anyone who didn't view death and the afterlife as we viewed it. We saw ourselves as being more intelligent. This verse also makes me think of Jesus prior to resurrecting the little girl stating that she was sleeping.

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

Snowbird

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

I love Amazing Grace, always means so much to me whenever I hear it.

• four candles
    four candles

We changed the words to 'Merry Xmas Everybody' by Slade to......not sure if I can remember it now,but it was something like this.

Are you putting your bibles in your bag?

So here it is the new system,everybodys having fun,

Look to the future now it's only just begun

Well,proper senior moments,I can't remember the rest.....good job really,I was feeling slightly nauseous after that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit