Is your Intellect Pre-Enlightenment or Post-Enlightenment?

by Terry 36 Replies latest social current

• beksbks
    beksbks

Oh Jeffrey, you always knew what turned me on

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

"Searching for intellectual solutions to the conundrums of life isn't living"

Are you shittin me? Searching for answers is living at it's most concentrated.

I'm definitely Post.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Searching for answers is living at it's most concentrated.

Not if you get so concentrated you can't connect with another human being, or even yourself.

• Quentin
    Quentin

If we are not modern, intellectual and non-religious, then we must be knuckle dragging, uneducated neanderthals, enslaved by religious dogma.

Good defenintion of Pre-enlightmemnt, except you can leave the non-relegious part out, since there are as many knuckle dragging, uneducated neanderthals romaing around the post-enlightmet side of the bridge. Beliving in God does not make you an idiot, nor does non-belife. God, or no God, how you treate others is the key to who/what you are as a person.

The Good Samaritin is an excellet story of what makes a person tick. Samaritin's were dogs to the Jew of the day. Yet the Samartin was the only one who helped another in distress. Was the Samaritin pre, or post? Doesen't matter, he did what was right. That is how we should look at ourselves today.

Terry's question is not a personel attack on anyone. It's a yes or no answer. If you are engrained in one side, or the other, you lose sight of what's right. You lose yourself to a dogmatic, unrealistic life style.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

In answer to the topic thread, what little intellect I have is invested in being a Post-Enlightenment freedom fighter.

"I will not make any deals with you... I've resigned... I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered! My life is my own."

Patrick McGoohan as Number 6

• Thetis
    Thetis

I think that I go back and forth over that bridge to pre-enlightenment. When I feel strong, then more towards the post-enlightenment side, but when at a low ebb, the other way. One thing I do know though, is that I do examine religions far more objectively than before. I try and examine both sides without the JW blinkers. However, not so easy to achieve. How do you erase a life time of brainwashing in a short space of time?

Initially I felt fearful when something major happened in the world - I knew I was doomed. I then progressed to accepting this fate. I now think neither...

• Terry
    Terry

In general, I find people to be rather puzzling.

The path of least resistance seems like a sellout to me.

Not everybody is born a genius, certainly. But, to simply go along with the lemmings is not the best of all possible worlds.

Curiousity has benefits. But, working as I do in a bookstore, I see an awful lot of people wasting their mind. So many women buy huge stacks of pulp romance, for instance. Others read the self-help gurus, enligtenment quacks and conspiracy tomes. Come on! Isn't there anything at all to be gleaned from actual facts?

A large number of people don't seem to KNOW much about the world either before they were born or even now concerning who/what/when/where/how. I think it is inexcusable to life your whole life and NOT know as much as you can about everything (real.)

Religion is an enormous tarpit that sucks you down and swallows your bones.

My youth was wasted in that tarpit.

I've been on overdrive since I passed 40 trying to make up for all that lost time in the JW's.

There is alot to learn and the time avalable is short. Why wouldn't I want to be Post-Enlightenment? I've seen the other side!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit