How did Jehovah's Witnesses come to use the phrase: New Light?

by Terry 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

In the middle of the 18th century in America, a crisis of faith arose.

Traditional belief about the destiny of Christians in the New World had been tested and proved false. Instead of spreading a pure and just society across North America which the whole world would see and hold in great esteem, everything was chaos, controversy and opposition!

Puritans, Congregationalists, Baptist, Catholics hated each other even though Christ was the center of their very worship!!

The source of this conflict and crisis was not merely variance in interpretation of God's will for man. The astonishing progress of the Western World in technology, manufacturing, medicine and Science challenged man's place in nature and popped the bubble of religous mythology.

The world was changing and True Believers had to cope or go insane!

The task at hand was either:

1.Retreat into fundamentalist refusal to accept modernity, change and Enlightenment

or

2.Reshape one's interpretations of the old religious world view to accomodate Science and Modernity and....(gulp!) ease into Enlightenment.

A clash of civilizations (psychological and emotional) was at hand.

Into this delicate balance of mental disturbance came what is now known as THE GREAT AWAKENING!

We have all seen those revival tent meetings with bible pounding evangelists ranting and working up the crowds---right?

The object of the sermon is to create an over-wrought frenzy of feeling that will reach a fevered pitch leading to the Preacher's call for action!

This is how the Great Awakening began.

It had an amazing effect on the population of the British North American colonists in the mid 1700's.

"Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" by Jonathan Edwards ripped apart the fence-sitting, back-sliding former church goers and lukewarm

believers and plunged a white-hot dagger of remorse and anxiety deep into their hearts.

The listeners became hysterical as wild animals plunging into bouts of ecstacy and depression, tears and laughter which sometimes led to suicide.

Not everybody embraced these antics!

Mainstream churches feared schism and backlash and began speaking out against the extravagant showmanship and excesses of the tent preachers.

Others embraced the enthusiasm of spiritual revival and encouraged awakening to new christian commitment.

These naturally opposed factions were respectively called OLD LIGHT and NEW LIGHT believers.

These phrases (Old Light/New Light) began to enter common parlance as referencing former ideas which, while true at the time, were now expired and no longer optimum for growth and understanding....in contrast to....new ideas much closer to absolute truth and indicative of forward-thinking believers willing to step outside the mainstream.

By the time Adventists split from mainstream churches pursuing definite dates for Christ's return, Old Light and New Light, could be used to distinguish and divide off believers in any suddenly new concept arising for prophetic purposes.

You don't believe Christ will return in 1884? You must be Old Light!

You accept that Christ will destroy the wicked in 1914? You have received New Light!

These phrases (Old Light/New Light) became polemical terms used pejoratively.

Sects and cults always had newly discovered thoughts and interpretations likely to send mainstream believers into skepticism. The cultist would decry the mainstream believer as "Old Light" and their new beliefs as "New Light".

Thus, this passed into the Watchtower through history from the Great Awakening through Adventism and plopped into a modern explanation of how the Watchtower can pull ridiculous ideas out of its collective ass like a magician pulls a rabbit from a tophat!

We've got NEW LIGHT! (Implying that everybody else is groping about in the darkness of Old Light).

So, there you have it, kiddies; the history of the phrase: New Light.

(Brief Wiki article:)

The terms were first used during the First Great Awakening, which spread through the British North American colonies in the middle of the 18th century. In A Faithful Narrative of the Surprising Work of God (1737), Jonathan Edwards, a leader in the Awakening, describes his congregants vivid experiences with grace as causing a "new light" in their perspective on sin and atonement. [ 1 ] Old Lights and New Lights generally referred to Congregationalists and Baptists in New England who took different positions on the Awakening than the traditional branches of their denominations. New Lights embraced the revivals that spread through the colonies, while Old Lights, suspicious of the revivals (and their seeming threat to authority), wanted to suppress them. Historian Richard Bushman credits the division between Old Lights and New Lights for the creation of political factionalism in Connecticut in the mid-eighteenth century. [ 2 ] Often "many "new light" Congregationalists who had been converted under the preaching of George Whitefield left that connection to become "new light" Baptists when they found no evidence of infant baptism in the apostolic church. When told of this development, Whitefield famously quipped that he was glad to hear about the fervent faith of his followers but regretted that "so many of his chickens had become ducks." [ 3 ] The Presbyterian Church in Pennsylvania would experience a division during the Great Awakening, with those elements of the denomination embracing the revivals called "New Sides" and those opposed to the revivals called "Old Sides." [ 4 ]

The terms were also used during the Second Great Awakening in America, in the early 19th century. New Lights were distinctive from the Old Lights in that they were more evangelical and, as historian Patricia Bonomi describes, carried "ferocity peculiar to zealots...with extravagant doctinal and moral enormities." [ 5 ]

The terms were also used in 1833, with "Old Lights" referring to the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

How did Jehovah's Witnesses come to use the phrase: New Light?

When their past proclaiming doctrines became redundant and invalid, a new and brighter light had to be devised

in an effort to validate themselves as being truly spiritually directed by god.

The new generation doctrine is an example of this.

Most religious organizations like the JWS have a built in self supporting mechanism operating within the organization itself,

the WTS publishing corporation is structurally designed in this fashion as well.

• Terry
    Terry

What is amazing is that instead of calling the Christendom belief system OLD LIGHT they must call their own previously held "Truth" as OLD and the haphazard backtrack explanations as "New Light"!

The Watchtower Society is a snake swallowing its own tail!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Good analogy Terry,

It is known that apocalyptic religions eventually fade out or they reform into something quite different,

my expectations are the WTS over time will eventually reform into another Christian based faith,

especially now with the advent of the information age riding behind their backs.

In these modern times religious validity has an expiry date, the WTS. time is just about up.

• Terry
    Terry

I like to hold the Mormon Church up as an example of a really wild crackpot cult that managed to become mainstream while improving conditions for its members and devoting considerable effort to social needs.

The Watchtower cult has made NO IMPROVEMENTS for its members and is going in the opposite direction!

Mormons are encouraged to become prosperous and have social support in that direction with education and health care facilities as well as cultural and political activity on a grand scale.

Jehovah's Witnesses struggle with their family and personal problems with hardly a helping hand in sight and are completely on their own with health care, child care and education (such as it is) on the bottom rung.

If the Mormon's can succeed in joining the human race and contemporary society without giving up its piety or theology, then, it can only be

the backward leadership and pre-Enlightenment obstinancy of the Governing Body to blame!!

• VM44
    VM44

Good article Terry.

The Watchtower cannot become mainstream. It would be like "becoming a part of the world" that is to be destroyed at Armageddon, which is always "just around the corner."

The Watchtower "solution" is to continually emphasize the "authority" of the FDS and the Governing Body in particular.

It will be interesting to see where that tactic will take them in the future.

--VM44

• JeffT
    JeffT

Since none of what you posted has anything to do with how JW's use the terms "new light" and "old light" I am not sure what point you think you're making. The one quote you provide shows that the terms were used during the two periods of awakening to refer to individuals or organizations that followed old or new churches. In other words the terms were applied externally.

The WTBS uses these terms to explain changes in its own doctrines and beliefs. Thus the terms are appled internally.

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/new_light_doctrine.html

"This is a progressive process, food being continually provided, and as we advance in the stream of time and observe further fulfillment of prophecy new truths are discerned and brought forth and constitute fresh and nourishing food for our day. Some truths were not essential for us prior to the time of their discernment, otherwise Jehovah would have caused them to become known earlier."

Do you have a source for this statement?

The astonishing progress of the Western World in technology, manufacturing, medicine and Science challenged man's place in nature and popped the bubble of religous mythology.

Do you have a source for this statement.? This sounds like the industrial revolution which didn't start until the last half of the 18th century.

The world was changing and True Believers had to cope or go insane!

The task at hand was either:

1.Retreat into fundamentalist refusal to accept modernity, change and Enlightenment

or

2.Reshape one's interpretations of the old religious world view to accomodate Science and Modernity and....(gulp!) ease into Enlightenment.

False dilemna.

Into this delicate balance of mental disturbance

A source or just your opinion?

"Even the erroneous viewpoints held by Jehovah's witnesses during the first world war served their purpose in contributing to the fulfillment of prophecy, for Jehovah had long ago foretold a condition of spiritual uncleanness upon his people at that particular time and the cleansing work that would be done. Hence such things are to be expected according to prophecy and their occurrence is a confirmation that this is Jehovah's organization, rather than a cause for raising question concerning Jehovah's use of the organization."

Traditional belief about the destiny of Christians in the New World had been tested and proved false.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I always thought they got the phrase from Proverbs 4:18....

"But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established."

~PS

• Quandry
    Quandry

Thank you, Terry.

A woman who works with me is asking me about Seventh Day Adventists....she is Chinese, Bhuddist, and knows nothing about Christianity. The poor woman's husband is Catholic and her brother has become a SDA. She knows that I was formerly a JW. I told her that JWs and SDAs used to be together, and that I'd do some research and get back to her. I really don't relish the idea of spending time gathering the info, but I hate to see her sucked into the SDA church without knowing anything of their history. Your information is a good starting point.

• clarity
    clarity

Thanks Terry,

The way I understand this "new light/old light" garbage teaching is that it was already 'out there', and as usual watchtowerites pick-up anything that may be useful for promoting their agenda. And no, Jeff, I also haven't provided refs .... just look at the history ... it's all there!

I do remember hearing/seeing the sort of 'tent' revival mtgs you speak of Terry, it was common especially in the Prairie provences in Canada in the 30's through the war years. Usually held at a lake, which was convenient as the newly frenzied would jump in and be baptized!!! Quite the "Awakening" alright! lol

Now as for the constantly ever changing "fresh and nourishing food", well, think about it.....Jehovah looks down and says" hmmm, what'il I give them today? Hmm I'll just tell them that Armaggedon will happen in 1914, OK yes that will keep them busy sorting that one out... oh wait how about if I tell them 1925, that could really get things going. I'll make Rutherford say that "Millions Now Living Will Never Die"(later they could chg to 'may never' lol) "

"Geez, whoops! getting too many 144,000 guys here... Ok now give this a try "say to them, hmmm,.. door is now closed and make up a whole 'new bunch' of people called great multitude, great crowd whatever ... they could live on the earth. Forever. And then say "about the generation thing and they'll never die. Be prepared ahead of time to change that one lol!! And on and on and on and on and on...........................................................clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit