"Shadenfreude" is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others

by artemis.design 5 Replies latest jw friends

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

I have only resently come across his German loanword, but it has become my new favourite word. We don't have an English equvalent, but it sums up so joyously what I feel everytime I hear some misfortune regarding JW organisation.

Am I bitter & twisted???

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I came across that word recently also.... you must be doing some heavy reading.

Bitter? Probably. Twisted? I don't think so. You are un-twisting, from the heart and mind-bending of the Borg. It's a process that goes in stages. Maybe the day has already arrived that you just don't care. Having a deep-rooted, uncontrollable desire to help others unbend might never go away though, until the Cult is gone and can't claim any more lives. There's no bitterness in that, only love.

~PS

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

I have been out for a long time, and am lucky I still have some limited contact with my family.

I don't hate any 1 peron, or have any bad feelings towards anyone as an individual. But everytime there is something that shows the borg up, suffer some kind of embarrassment or misfortune, I definatly do feel Shadenfreude.

I think you are right, I am desperate to get my brothers and sisters out. Maybe that is why??

From reading a lot of the posts, I don't think I'm the only one that feels this.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson has a great line using that word...

"Dawn was breaking when Agletrudis appeared at Engelthal's gate, wearing a smile so thick with Schadenfreude that it seemed impossible it could fit on a nun's face." Andrew Davidson, The Gargoyle. It is an excellent book, though a bit dark, if you ever have the chance to read it.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

the organization is all about shadenfreude

lets dance on the bones of 6 billion or more humans as we enjoy the pleasures of the new system and even now lets be happy everytime theres a disaster because we're closer to paradise.

• mrsjones5

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit