Do you require chocolate?

by compound complex 17 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Is chocolate one of the major food groups?

I love but never actually buy chocolate; today I succumbed to a seller's entreaty to give the ol' Chocolate Chewie Bistro Cake a try [for half price].

I'm entering into a coma even as ...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Yes.

I'm convinced that the only way it will hurt me is if I don't get it.

• nelly136
    nelly136

nooooo, i used to eat it in huge amounts, it put me in a really good mood.....unless i missed a chocfix........then i'd be in a really bad mood.

going cold chocolate was not nice.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Benefits of Chocolate

for Healthy Eating

Good news! Not only is chocolate delicious, there are numerous health benefits of chocolate to you from the compounds in the cocoa fruit.

Antioxidants

The cocoa bean is a rich source of naturally occurring antioxidants. Cocoa powder and dark chocolate typically have the highest amount of antioxidants of any chocolate products because they contain the highest cocoa content. Therefore, these products give the greatest health benefits of chocolate.

Cocoa powder has the most antioxidants and therefore the greatest benefits of chocolate, according to a study presented at Experimental Biology 2005, an annual meeting of biological scientists. The study showed that cocoa powder contains more antioxidants than any other chocolate products and that processing chocolate decreases antioxidant content. Researchers associated with the Agricultural Research Service conducted the study.

blood cells

In this study, scientists found that the ranking of antioxidant benefits of chocolate from highest amount to lowest were natural cocoa powder, unsweetened baking chocolate, alkalinized or "Dutch" cocoa powder, dark chocolate, semi sweet chocolate, and milk chocolate.

"Research on antioxidants is only in its infancy," explains Penny Kris-Etherton, Ph.D., professor of nutrition at The Pennsylvania State University and author of research published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. "We already know that increased consumption of fruits and vegetables results in an increase of antioxidants in our blood. We believe chocolate consumption may have the same effect."

Antioxidants in the blood stream essentially neutralize substances called free radicals - small reactive molecules that cause damage to cells - which scientists believe may be the triggers for serious diseases such as cancer and heart disease. They also may cause cognitive deterioration associated with aging.

berries

Flavanols are the main flavonoids found in cocoa and chocolate. Research over the past decade has identified flavonoids as providing diverse beneficial physiological and antioxidant effects. Flavonoids are natural antioxidant compounds also found in fruits, vegetables, and certain beverages such as tea, red wine, and grape juice.

Studies have shown that chocolate contains a very high level of antioxidants, ranking far above nearly all other fruits and vegetables for antioxidant content.

Research conducted at the University of Scranton has demonstrated that the quality and quantity of the antioxidants in chocolate are very high even compared to other common foods and beverages with high levels such as black tea, red wine, raisins, strawberries and other plant products. Cocoa powder ranked the highest of the chocolate products, followed by dark chocolate and milk chocolate. Dark chocolate contained over twice the polyphenol antioxidants as prunes, which ranks highest among fruits. The following list shows foods ranked high for antioxidants.

Notice the chocolate benefits on top...

Top Antioxidant Foods
    ORAC* Units per 100 Grams

Dark Chocolate13,120
    Milk Chocolate6,740
    Prunes5,770
    Raisins2,830
    Blueberries2,400
    Blackberries2,036
    Kale1,770
    Strawberries1,540
    Spinach1,260
    Raspberries1,220

*ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) is a measure of the ability of foods to subdue harmful oxygen free radicals that can damage our bodies.Source: Data from U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Journal of the American Chemical Society

"The findings provide further scientific evidence that cocoa is a rich source of antioxidant activity, such as other antioxidant-rich foods including red wine, cranberries and blueberries," said Chocolate Manufacturers Association President Lynn Bragg. "This research increases knowledge of a wonderfully familiar food, and comes at a time when we are finding new ways to use cocoa and chocolate (e.g., as an ingredient and flavor) in a variety of foods. There are benefits of chocolate for everyone and it can be enjoyed - in moderate portions - as part of a balanced diet."

wine

Scientists say antioxidants may reduce the risk for developing heart disease, as well as offer some other potential health benefits (click to Heart & Chocolate page). A 1.5 ounce chocolate bar contains about the same amount of total phenolic compounds as a 5-ounce serving of red wine, which has been associated with a reduced risk for coronary heart disease.

blood pressure

Blood Pressure

If you have high blood pressure, a daily large bar-sized serving of flavonoid-rich dark chocolate might provide health benefits by lowering your blood pressure and improving insulin resistance, researchers report in Hypertension: Journal of the American Heart Association. This study suggests that flavonoids in cocoa appear to have benefits for vascular function and glucose sensitivity as well. The carefully controlled study found that a daily serving of chocolate reduced systolic and diastolic blood pressure by 15 and 9 points respectively. Flavonoid-rich foods should be part of an overall healthy diet, and some dark chocolate could be part of that diet, along with fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.

cough medicine

Cough Suppressant

Surprising health benefits of chocolate also include cacao is as a cough suppressant. Recent studies have found that theobromine, a compound found in cocoa, is more effective as a cough suppressant than prescription codeine. This molecule suppresses the "itch" signal from the nerve in the back of the throat that causes the cough reflex. It is possible to get an effective dose from 50g of dark chocolate (a “regular” size chocolate bar), which contains 2 to 10 times more cocoa than milk chocolate. Theobromine was also free from side effects in the blind tests. (Persistent Coughs Melt Away with Chocolate, New Scientist, 11-22-04)

Clearly there are numerous health benefits from consuming chocolate, especially products with high cocoa content such as cocoa powder and dark chocolate. There are also many ways to incorporate cocoa and chocolate into a diet in a way that enhances the flavor of other healthy foods. For some great ideas, click to Chocolate Recipes page.

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/pasta-chocolate-diet.gif

................................. ...OUTLAW

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I used to like chocolate until I read some report about chocolate contamination about twenty years ago. The document referenced was an official gov. doc. and it listed how many roach parts and rat hairs per pound are allowed in the inspection samples. Then, the article that referenced the legal amount of contaminants went on to disclose and document how much over the limit a certain well known chocolate factory had been found consistently. Apparently, they just get slapped with some fines and a reprimand. Business as usual and no one is any the wiser and nothing ever changes.

I have wondered if the contaminants like this and the spread of insect bacteria could be one reason so many people have developed "allegies" to "chocolate".

I used to really like Hershey's kisses and the chocolate dessert mints with the little sprinkles on them. I can't remember the last time I ate chocolate.

I don't ever eat chocolate in summer. One time I bought a peppermint pattie and there were worms in it which I discovered on the second or third bite. It was summer and sometimes chocolate can go bad in transport due to heat.

I would think the best time to buy chocolate is after Halloween and preferrably in colder months. Candy is probably fresher after Halloween when it is restocked.

Well, sorry if I rained on your parade....but now you know.

• compound complex
    compound complex

You are all an inspiration! And OUTLAW - what can I say?!?!?! Graphic graphics!

No rain on my parade, Cam! I read years ago that Knorr Foods had a very high allowance of filth. Curious.

I guess, then, CoCoa is good for CoCo? Am I good for myself?

Thanks!

CoCo Bean

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Virtually EVERY foodstuff has a degree of contamination. Don't look in the flour you're baking with too closely. Yet here we are...

And, yes, the M&Ms are calling to me...sweetly...softly...

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

CoCo Bean

is this where CoCo Cane comes from?

• compound complex
    compound complex

And, yes, the M&Ms are calling to me...sweetly...softly...

!

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Outlaw, you naughty dawg! I was feeling pretty secure in my heterosexuality until you posted that picture!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit