My view of religion using an analogy of theism vs. atheism...

by unshackled 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• unshackled
    unshackled

Since starting to leave the JWs about 10 years ago (I was a fader) I've spent plenty of time going over what I was taught, scrutinizing the bible and its history, and reading books like the God Delusion for a fresh perspective. I would say I've landed on the atheist side of things, though I don't like the word. (We don't have one for NON-stamp collectors...so why non-believers in a god?) I personally would rather be referred to as a humanist.

Anyhoo, I'm quite content to wait until all the evidence is in. Until then I'm not signing up for one of the god belief systems.

What gets me though is how atheists have been equated with the root of all evil. Of course this attack is mainly coming from the religious groups.

So what do you guys think of this simplistic analogy which to me describes how I as a humanist (or atheist if you must) views our place on this planet. Its a rough draft but you get the idea...

Analogy: Picture a group of people that find themselves on a deserted island, with amnesia, therefore no knowledge of anything about how they got there or why they are there.

One third of the group notices the SUN everyday and the warmth it brings, etc. They decide that must be a "god"...they must worship it.

Another third of the group notices the MOON and decide that must be "god" and therefore they're going worship the moon.

The SUN group and the MOON group eventually argue over their "gods" and who has the right one. They even begin to fight over it, hitting each other with sticks and coming to blows. Some people are injured, and some have even been killed.

The final third of the group, which didn't sign up for either the moon group and the sun group steps in and says: "whoa, whoa, whoa everybody. We DON'T know how or why we are here. But let's keep looking for clues and stop jumping to conclusions and fighting over it."

That non-believing third group represents what an ATHEIST is trying to do today. Offer a voice of reason to stop the fighting over their assumed "gods". If everyone would abandon their made up story and we all continued to attempt to unravel the mysteries of the universe, this world would be MUCH better place. We may not find all the answers, but it sure is better than dividing into groups and fighting over our "guesses".

Thoughts? And thanks for reading.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Anyhoo, I'm quite content to wait until all the evidence is in. Until then I'm not signing up for one of the god belief systems.

^ This is a good explanation of what an Athiest is, imo.

They are not on the offensive, but rather just waiting on (or seeking) more information.

-Sab

• OnTheWayOut
  • believingxjw
    believingxjw

Unshackled,

"The SUN group and the MOON group eventually argue over their "gods" and who has the right one. They even begin to fight over it, hitting each other with sticks and coming to blows. Some people are injured, and some have even been killed"

There is a sub-group that you forgot to mention. Individuals from every faith who do not fight over their faith, hit one another or kill one another over their faith.

• unshackled
    unshackled

@believingxjw: Yes I know not everyone wants to fight over their gods, and thank goodness for them. I offered it as a simplistic analogy that fits when you zoom out on today's world, this is what we have: major conflict between christians, jews and the muslims and we are all being taken for a ride by these "fighting" ones. They are threatening life on this planet. Our "sticks" have become far too big.

We would be better off without these made up answers and focus on a common goal of relying on ourselves to help ourselves. And not an invisible outside source which can't be proven is there.

I like how Sam Harris put it in "Letter to a Christian Nation":

"It is, therefore, not an exaggeration to say that if the city of New York were suddenly replaced by a ball of fire, some significant percentage of the American population would see a silver-lining in the subsequent mushroom cloud, as it would suggest to them that the best thing that is ever going to happen was about to happen: the return of Christ. It should be blindingly obvious that beliefs of this sort will do little to help us create a durable future for ourselves - socially, economically, environmentally, or geopolitically. Imagine the consequences if any significant component of the US government actually believed that the world was about to end and that its ending would be glorious. The fact that nearly half of the American population apparently believes this, purely on the basis of religion dogma, should be considered a moral and intellectual emergency."

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Imagine the consequences if any significant component of the US government actually believed that the world was about to end and that its ending would be glorious. The fact that nearly half of the American population apparently believes this, purely on the basis of religion dogma, should be considered a moral and intellectual emergency.

Man, it's scary to read it like that.

We will either toss aside these audacious ideas that are hurting us all or we will dissolve into the past like so many before us.

-Sab

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Unshackled,

Yes, it's true too many are fighting over religion. I wonder, though, how much of this "religious" fight is actually due to nationalistic, cultural and racial prejudices and bias. The Taliban are fighting for power really, the Israelis for national survival or existing borders, the Christian right in the U.S. for political power, and so on. Did the Catholic Church really burn people at the stake over religion or was it to keep control and power over the masses. Religion has been and is being used as an excuse for war. Take away Islam and would Islamic terrorists become peaceful men and women or would they find another reason/excuse to fight for what they want?

Are greed and hunger for power and territory all due to religion? If all religion disappeared would the world be at peace? No wars, no political greed, no political and social manipulation, no deception on the part of national leaders and corporations etc? People are easily manipulated and led. Take away religion and national leaders and those who want to be national leaders would simply use the old standby, nationalism, which is today alive and well all over the world.

I do agree that religion is getting a beating and for the most part rightfully so. Not because all religions are bad in themselves but because most religious moderates, and their leaders, are keeping too silent or speaking too softly. Allowing the fanatics of any religion to continue to run the media show is wrong. And I do agree that too many Christians are arrogant and self-righteous. Also that too many Christians run with the wrong scriptures in hand in order to make a show of piety and condemnation of others. And that like political leaders whose power can go to their heads so too there are Christian leaders who are drunk with power and who love their organization or religious hierarchy more than they love their members. But then, the other side, is that there are also those atheists who upon interacting with a Christian take out all their frustrations upon someone who had nothing to do with what hurt them and may be someone who is seeking mutual understanding and common ground and not to convert. Whether from an ancestral chimp, mitochrondrial eve or edenic eve we are all related and all brothers and sisters trying to understand life and what all this means this beautiful earth, our children, and what the future is for all mankind or even if there is a future.

I appreciated your non-judgmental reply. Thank you.

• tec
    tec

Believing -

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Thank you so much, Tammy!

• ziddina
    ziddina

OnTheWayOut, that "Edward Current" video you posted...

MUST be a spoof!!!

Best evidence that Fundie Christians don't have a flippin' clue that I've EVER seen!!!

Laugh-out-loud HILARIOUS!!!

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit