Marking 7 Years out of the Watchtower

by lovelylil2 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Woody22
    Woody22

Thank you lily for your story. It is so true when you come to realize JWs do not have the truth that you really find freedom.

I am not a born again

christian by name, but have joined another denomination and really found some loving people.

Wishing you continued happiness in your life.

Woody

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

thanks woody.

The body of christ is supposed to be like a family. We love and support each other and although some variations in belief, Paul said to let our "love" cover these differences.

I found the so called christians in the Watchtower to be judgemental, gossipers, ready to turn in those of different opinions to the elders or big brother as I like to call them.

So glad you have a positive experience in your new church home. lilly

• lavendar
    lavendar

What a wonderful, uplifting, encouraging post, Lovelylil.

Thank you for putting HOPE in our hearts....that someday our loved ones will see the light too...and finally realize the WTS is NOT what it claims to be.

God bless you!

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Thank you all for your comments.

I will keep your family members in my thoughts and prayers. There is one ministry I associate with that hosts an annual day of "Prayer for the Captives". It is for captives in false legalistic religions. I often think about the JWs I knew when I think about this prayer day.

The best advice I can give someone with loved ones still in the WT is to be very patient and love them unconditionally. This is something they are simply not used to because they are only loved (and its a fake love) if they work, work, work for it. No matter what remember their adverse reaction to you is one of fear and let them know you love them. Even if they remain in the WT.

Do NOT get into screaming matches over doctrine. It simply does not matter what you or they believe about the bible. Simply tell them as I told my husband, if you want to remain a witness I respect that and will support you but that life is not for me. I have chosen a different path, then explain briefly without putting them down. If you are still a christian you may say, I do not believe I need the WT organization to interpret the bible for me because Jesus promised Christians the Holy Spirit and that spirit will teach me.

When I said this to my husband he could not respond. Because if he said this was not true he knew he would be refuting scripture. So he let it alone. Eventually when he saw the kids and I were happy with our new path, happier then he was in a works oriented cult, he left. He told me if the elders were concerned about our spirituality they would have come by and corrected us lovingly with the bible and prayed with us, etc. But since they did nothing and ignored him even though he was still an active witness, they condemed themselves in my husband's eyes without me having to even open my mouth.

My journey has not been easy, my husband lost his faith completely for a while but has regained it in the last few years. There has been a lot of angst, lot of crying, lots of therapy and rebuilding our lives. For 10 years our lives stood still, it was as if time stopped when we entered the cult. We stopped trying to exceed at work, learn new things, attend family functions and stopped making new friends. We lived in the same area for two decades and did not even know our nieghbors. Once we left the Tower, we found that time kept going and everything and everyone around us changed and grew and we had to figure out what the heck we are going to do with the rest of our lives. How many people in the world do you know who have to do that in their 30's?

That is what a cult does. It stunts your growth and keeps you captive. We really were in a prison for 10 years. Peace, Lilly

• CHILD
    CHILD

Congratulations!

• Quandry
    Quandry

You know, it is interesting that you posted this.

Today I was talking to a woman at work who is Bhuddist, but her brother has become a Seventh Day Adventist.

She knows I was a JW and was asking me questions about the Bible. She knows next to nothing.

I was explaining to her that althought I do not belong to any denomination, as they all have their own interpretations, I do consider myself a Christian, due to the wonderful teachings of Jesus, and the life he led, and the fact that he demonstrated such love to others.

I am so glad that your prayers were answered and that your family has a measure of peace.

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

I do not belong to a denomination either. I personally believe to do so would be dividing the body of Christ. We are Christians because we follow Christ. I think the bible likens the Christian church to belonging to one body for a specific reason. Jesus did not come to start another religion, there was plenty of religions already available in his day.

Instead, he started a new way..........something radically different than what people experienced up until that time. His words pointed many times to this new way before the Holy Spirit was poured out at Pentecost. For instance, when he met the Samaritan women at the well she said to him "my forefathers have worshipped on this holy mountain", but your followers say to worship in Jeruselem", and Jesus told her "the time is coming and it is now when you will worship in Spirit and in Truth". He also said "the father is looking for such like ones to worship him". This is a very profound statement. Jesus was really saying the PLACE of Worship Is not important at all. Another verse that comes to my mind is this "God does not live in temples made by hands". (John 4:19-26, 1Corinthians12, Acts17:24)

That is because We (the church) are now part of a living breathing entity, the body of Christ. This is not a brick and mortar establishment. We are literally the living temple of God (our bodies) wherein God's Spirit dwells.

In my studies on early Christianity, this is exactly the view the early church had. That THEY (the people) were THE church and met together in many private homes, along the road, etc. with no building with roll calls or denominational names. Not that there is anything wrong with a Christian attending a brick and mortar church but we need to keep it in perspective. We are simply Christ's followers first and foremost. Our allegiance is to him, not our denomination. If we can keep that in mind we will do just fine on our path. Peace, lilly

• Chalam
    Chalam

Thanks for posting your experience Lilly :)

At that moment, I felt a warm breeze enter the top of my head and travel all the way down to my feet. This breeze when it entered enveloped me with what felt like a warm embrace.

My wife had a similar experience with the baptism of the Spirit. She felt like her head was lifted off and a warm jug of water was poured inside which flowed down into her body. This happened one night, a few months after she came to faith. Not many days after, as she was praying she felt like something was 'stuck in her throat'. My pastor told her to 'let it out' and immediately she was speaking in tongues, not just a word or two but full on heavenly dialect. She soon found a strong prophetic gifting too, visions, words of knowledge and such.

My own experience of baptism in the Spirit came one day, quite some time after I came to faith. I was certainly born again and people had prayed and laid hands on me to receive the baptism in the Spirit. However, I felt nothing! Some weeks later I was laying on the grass, looking up and the sky, thinking about life and my faith. At that point I felt overwhelmed with God, His majesty, His creation, His love. The feeling I can best describe as I felt high!

It instantly calmed me and I felt just then as if everything would be alright. It was as if the wieght of the world that was on my shoulders a second before was instantly lifted off me.

That night I kept thinking about jesus and how he said his "load was kindly and light" and he tells his followers to "come to me all who are loaded down, I will refresh you".

Just like Jesus promised :)

John 14:26 (New International Version)

26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 15:26 (New International Version)

26 "When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me.

One of the biggest scriptural reversals I made that took the entire year to accept but I finally did it was that I accepted the diety of Jesus Christ.

Understood, as Jesus is THE way, THE truth, THE life understanding who He is is core.

John 1:1 (New International Version)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

During this time in order not to be influenced by others I stayed away from all other churches and just read the bible myself and asked the Lord Jesus to teach me himself what he thought I needed to learn and frankly he did. I am still growing and learning every day so my conversion is still a process because I am on the right road but need to stay on it. But I now truly believe it is not the job of man or any religion to teach a Christian.

Agreed, primarily Spirit teaches us, He lives within us all 1 John 2:27 He enabled us to test all things, keep the good and disregard the bad 1 Thessalonians 5:21

However, there is a gifting for teacher and God has not changed His mind, we have certainly not reached the point of verse 13 here

Ephesians 4:11-13 (New International Version)

11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

2 Timothy 1:11 (New International Version)

11 And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher.

Hebrews 5:12 (New International Version)

12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food!

James 3:1 (New International Version)

1Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

Finally, bear in mind this

Romans 11:29 (New International Version)

29 for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable.

Agreed, we are the church. We are the living stones being built into one temple, not many! 1 Peter 2:5

However, the churches are those who congregate in a particular geographical location. For example, Jesus addresses the seven churches in Asia Revelation 1:4 The denominational labelling will probably continue, even when we become one, even as the Father is one with Jesus John 17:22 . Denominations do not appear in the New Testament but certainly, different groups do appear. There was a different culture in the church in Corinth compared to say Ephesus or Galatia. Also, other groups are mentioned, the Beareans etc. Acts 17:11 , 1 Thessalonians 1:7

It is almost impossible to stop this labelling. As soon as you start a "non denominational" church it soon becomes a denomination in itself!

We must remember first and foremost we are all part of Christ' body and to ourselves from denominational pride.

Once again, thanks for posting. It is great awesome what the Lord has done in you and your family, such a message of the power of God and hope!

Every blessing in Christ,

Stephen xx

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Thank you Stephen. I agree with all your comments. I do now attend two regular churches but keep it in perspective. I am loyal to Christ first, not my denomination or church group. God bless! Peace to you and yours, Lilly

• Chalam
    Chalam

Amen!

Look forward to hearing some more :)

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit