The Governing Body are Governing Pharisees

by believingxjw 12 Replies latest jw friends

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

An excerpt from the December 15, 2001 Watchtower article, Learn From Me.

""From a study of Biblical and secular evidence, we can conclude that the Pharisees thought highly of themselves as guardians of the public good and the national welfare. They were not satisfied that God’s Law was fundamentally clear and easily understood. Wherever the Law seemed to them to be unspecific, they sought to plug apparent gaps with defined applications to eliminate any need for conscience. These religious leaders attempted to devise a precept to govern conduct in all issues, even trivialities.

The first-century Jewish historian Josephus makes it obvious that the Pharisees considered themselves to be kind, gentle, just, and altogether right for their task. Doubtless, some of them came fairly close to that. Nicodemus might come to your mind. (John 3:1, 2; 7:50, 51) In time, some of them embraced the Christian way. (Acts 15:5) The Christian apostle Paul wrote about certain Jews, such as the Pharisees: "They have a zeal for God; but not according to accurate knowledge." (Romans 10:2) However, the Gospels present them as they were seen by the common people—proud, arrogant, self-righteous, faultfinding, judgmental, and demeaning.

Jesus castigated the scribes and Pharisees as hypocritical. "They bind up heavy loads and put them upon the shoulders of men, but they themselves are not willing to budge them with their finger." Yes, the load was heavy, and the yoke imposed on the people was harsh. Jesus went on to call the scribes and Pharisees "fools." A fool is a menace to the community. Jesus also called the scribes and Pharisees "blind guides" and asserted that they had "disregarded the weightier matters of the Law, namely, justice and mercy and faithfulness." Who would want Jesus to think of him as Pharisaic?—Matthew 23:1-4, 16, 17, 23.

Almost any reader of the Gospel accounts can see the critical nature of most Pharisees. After Jesus invited Matthew Levi, the tax collector, to become a disciple, Levi spread a big reception feast for him. The account says: "At this the Pharisees and their scribes began murmuring to his disciples, saying: ‘Why is it you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?’ In reply Jesus said to them: ‘. . . I have come to call, not righteous persons, but sinners to repentance.’"—Luke 5:27-32.

Levi himself appreciated something else Jesus said on that occasion: "Go, then, and learn what this means, ‘I want mercy, and not sacrifice.’" (Matthew 9:13) Although the Pharisees claimed to believe in the writings of the Hebrew prophets, they did not embrace this saying from Hosea 6:6. If they were going to err, they made sure it would be on the side of obedience to tradition. Each of us could ask ourselves, ‘Do I have a reputation for being a stickler for certain rules, such as ones that reflect personal opinion or common approaches to a matter? Or do others think of me as being first of all merciful and good?

Pick, pick, pick. That was the Pharisaic way. The Pharisees looked for every flaw—real or imagined. They kept people on the defensive and reminded them of their failures. The Pharisees prided themselves on tithing the tiniest herbs, like mint, dill, and cumin. They advertised their piety by their dress and tried to direct the nation. Surely, if our actions are to be in harmony with Jesus’ example, we must avoid the tendency of always looking for and highlighting the flaws in others."

The title of this article is Learn From Me, it appears that the Governing Body has learned quite well from the Pharisees of Jesus' day. The Governing Body is today's Pharisees. The Governing Pharisees.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Wow...deep stuff.

• mamalove
    mamalove

Huh, kind of like hand holding, flip flips, denim, facial hair, the must wear panty hose rule even in the heat of summer, oh and the panty hose have to be certain colors, white shirts for talks rule.....

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

To be honest, itisn't just the GB, ALL organized religion has Heirachies and it is those that are the modern day Pharisees.

Fact is, Jesus and Paul's critique ( far more Jesus' than Paul's) was aimed to ALL that are self-righeous and he used the Pharisees are prime examples.

The Pharisees and scribes took it upon themselves to speak for God ( sound familiar?) and even to add to the word of God rules nd regulations so as to control the masses (sound familiar?).

God gave us 10 commandments and the scribes and Jewish letters felt free to add to them a long laundry list of rules with the appicable punishments to go with them of course and they had the audacity to do such in God's Name ( Suund familar?).

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Governing Pharisees .... Yay ! could not have put it better.........

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Great stuff.

Bangalore

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    The Governing Body are Governing Pharisees

They sure are!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

They are The New Pharisees

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

Bump! This is another great post!

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

What amuses me is not living up the way they guide the congo, like saying one thing and doing exactly the opposite.

just like my PO/cobe who is screwing atleast 3 sisters that i know of, he also tried his luck on my wife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit