I got to thinking about this today.

by MrFreeze 10 Replies latest jw friends

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I was taking a long, long car ride today and of course all that time you get to thinking. I thought about this. When it comes to JW's dating, they always have to have a chaperone there. That means anytime JW's propose, there are multiple people there, thus putting added pressure on one party to agree. And as we know JW's believe, once you say "yes" to the proposal you are as good as married and can't back out of the engagement. Do you think the added pressure of chaperones being there has increased the number of people who have said "yes" instead of "no" thus leading to more marriages that aren't happy? I don't know maybe it's a stupid point but it's something I thought about.

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

Why is a chaperone needed if youre in a public place?

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

The whole JW system of dating and spending time with the opposite sex is distorted and warped. There is nothing natural or healthy abou it. The decision to marry is based on wanting to have sex. The couple really doesn't even have a chance to really get to know one another. And you certainly can't talk about your individual hopes and goals because the WTBTS tells you what those are. SICKOS!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

frigginconfused, it's because they might get a little too romantically inclined and then head off on their own after they are done with their "date". The whole chaperone thing is stupid anyway. There's nothing to stop them from getting together on their own anyway.

And I agree scarred, the whole arrangement is awful.

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

My judgement is totally clouded on this. One area where being raised a JW has stunted my growth. I really do not know if sex before marriage is wrong in every situation.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV
    The couple really doesn't even have a chance to really get to know one another. And you certainly can't talk about your individual hopes and goals because the WTBTS tells you what those are.

Wow, Scarred for life. That really gets to the crux of it. How can a marriage succeed if the young couple can't get to know each other, or be able to figure out their own hope and dreams? It's little wonder that most JW youngster's marriages quickly turn into an unbearable grind.

V665

• sweet
    sweet

is there anything in the bible about chaperones anyway??? that's what i'd like to know...

well the whole sex before marriage...i mean if we look at the world around us i can see why God did say for us not to fornicate....it doesn't really take a rocket scientist to see the whole world around why that is the case....

let's see: sex without marriage leads to:

-abortion

-single parents

-baby mamas/baby daddy's drama

-STD'S

-some dude that can't keep his man hood in his pants have sex with multiple chicks....having to pay multiple child support to different woman he impregnated...has to get 2 or 3 jobs or more...has so much stress in his life could commit suicide...

-the list goes on and on....

of course this just doesn't happen in the sex before marriage scenario....spouses who cheat on their mates...etc...etc..

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

A lot of the stuff in your list happens to married people too. And there are people who have sex without marriage who never have those problems. I think the difference is safe sex, and that is not necessarily synonymous with marriage.

• teel
    teel

Sweet, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to avoid those things... some people are stupid, what can you do? Of course there's the occasional accident, but that's the minority. Most of the times those problems you listed show up because of one single reason: people ignore the huge warnings to practice safe sex. Not to mention JWs don't get any sex education that's worth mentioning, so they are the prime target for exactly those problems.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Vampire, I saw it happen over and over and over again with older cousins as well as people within my congregation. Is it any wonder that I saw that I wanted no part of this? I bolted when I got to "dating age".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit