What did you give up to become a witness?

by sleepy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

What did you give up to become a witness?
    Was it something you are still glad about or something you regret.

I'll start of with things I gave up.(even though I was brought up in the truth talks and the mags made you guilty about certain things)
    I threw out a load of CD,s that I wish I had today , I'll have to try and find them all second hand.
    I left the band I was in as i thought i couldn't carry on and be a witness , we played a few gigs and i believe we could have gone somewhere with it.I sold my amp and quitar.
    Gutted.

• jaded
    jaded

My life. (I know this wasn't what you were looking for, but it was the first thing that popped into my head)

• SYN
    SYN

My virginity! Haha, no, I was actually too young to remember giving anything UP...

"I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone." -- Charles Darwin, The Origin Of Species, 1869.

• Martini
    Martini

Love,Sex,Money and Drugs.(I know this wasn't what you were looking for, but it was the first thing that popped into my head)

Martini
    Ahh, but at least I never missed the Alcohol!

It's a JOKE, okay!!! sheesh!

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

I remember being 6 years old and listening to mom try and explain why we weren't going to celebrate Christmas anymore. I just cried.
    I realize now how hard that must have been for her. I hope the meals in the psych ward are good

Lizard

• terafera
    terafera

WHAT DID I GIVE UP?

my childhood.

memories of celebrating holidays with my dad (who died before I left the Org).

a college education.

plans for a future in THIS life.

any sense of 'normalcy'.

my self-esteem.

independant thought.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Education.

Because Armageddon was predicted in 1975, my mother and father did not think learning math and science would be any good. This attitude was very strongly pushed by the magazines and the elders. Overall, education was not high on a list for young people.

When Armageddon did not occur and I was in high school, I could barely do long division. The high school I went to required one year of math to graduate. I took Introduction to Algebra. Got a D. I graduated high school, however, I was taking Home Ec and Typing. I should have been taking math and science. I got no direction from my parents.

I did not graduate college because of math. I could not pass a college math class. It took 16 years for me to finally get my degree.

This more than anything enrages me.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I gave up my high-school girlfriend, whom I was madly in love with. Couldn't have a "worldly" girlfriend, y'know. That was in 1969.

A few months after my JW ex-wife left me in October of 2000 for being such a lousy JW, I contacted that girlfriend from years ago, and found that she had been widowed a few years before. We had dinner together last January for the first time in almost 32 years. In June, I asked her to marry me, and we tied the knot on October 7, 2001. My JW daughter stood up for me at the wedding.

Hey, they say when you come out of a cult, you should pick up your life where you left off...

Tom
    "The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure; to live it you had to explode." ---Bob Dylan

• JBean
    JBean

Hiya Tom! Congratulations on your marriage...it really seems like you are now living the happy ending! (Even tho' you probably had to go through a lot to get there!) It proves to me to never say never! Jbean (ps: since I was born into the JW's I guess the only thing that I had foregone was the college education... doing that now tho!)

• terafera
    terafera

WOW Neon..

That is awesome!!!

Good for you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit