"are you a jehovah?"

by sweet 34 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

exactly Carla. I remember how relieved I would be if after a minute or two a curious householder would say "oh, so ya'll are Christians then? good deal".

100 years of preaching and half the people don't even know JWs are Christian.

My favorite is "Jehoma Williams" (not that I ever heard that, but another southern witness said he had, and it stuck around as a joke, whether he actually heard someone say that or not)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Oh I don't know, I mean the JW's don't have a problem in caling their 144k "christ" ( Annointed).

• carla
    carla

ha, yeah, someone was trying to talk to me about my jw at an event recently (without him hearing of course) and they say 'I know he's a jehova and all but how can they really believe .....' happens all the time when people attempt to talk about the jw's. At times I have been asked what the heck they mean by 'one of jehovahs witnesses', they don't get it. It's like saying 'one of Baptists' in their mind, it makes no sense. jehovahs witnesses are simply another denomination in their mind or if they know a little bit about them, a cult.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aouw!!! Actually, I think its hilarious when 'worldly' people call JWs a "Jehova"...

It's shorthand-speak; poor grammar, too, but as SixofNine said,

"100 years of preaching and half the people don't even know JWs are Christian. ..."

Actually, as occasionally discussed on this board, MOST mainstream Christians don't consider Jehovah's Witnesses to even BE "Christian"...

And the mis-communications and conflicts between mainstream Christianity and the Watchtower Society makes me giggle...

As long as they're sniping at and fighting with each other, they aren't as efficient at getting together legislation to outlaw other beliefs... Buddhism, Shintoism, Islam, Wicca, NeoPolyTheism, etc...

Zid

• Eiben Scrood
    Eiben Scrood

Carla, most people with even a modicum of education know the term "Jehovah" and who it stands for. Only the woefully ignorant and STUPID don't. The name appears in Hollywood movies such as the Indiana Jones series and is frequently in non-JW literature as well.

Believe me, I have major issues with the religion but have no time for stupidity or those who willfully and/or ignorantly use the term incorrectly.

• teel
    teel
    To outsiders saying 'jehovahs witnesses' is no different than saying the Lutherans, Catholics, Baptists, etc...

Saying "he's a jehovah" is like saying "he's a Luther", "he's a kath'holou" (needed wikipedia help for this one); or "he's a baptism"...

People know the full name is Jehovah's Witnesses, so even if they know absolutely nothing about who Jehovah is, it's obvious it's not them.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Yep...always hated that question. Like Teel said, asking a Witness if he's a Jehovah is like asking a Lutheran if he's a Luther.

That question reminded me of when I called on a Russian lady once. When she opend the door she asked in a heavy Soviet accent.... " Are you Yakov Vitness ?? my friend sheepishly said " kind of " and then the woman slammed the door.

A kid on our block called my sister a Jehovah's S--tness once. My brother and I thought it was hilarious but my Mom marched over there and read his Mom the riot act.

• ziddina
    ziddina

"Jehovah's Sh*tness" - that's a good one!!! I'll have to remember that!!! At least the grammar is correct!!

• four candles
    four candles

I've been a Hovis witness before now........................bread from heaven eh??

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm a "No way Yah Way" myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit