The Devil is in the Details...

by rhodesboy 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rhodesboy
    rhodesboy

I have some thoughts regarding the King of the North which I will share in another post but their interpretation is interesting. According to the GB the destruction of the vatican will 'furnish concrete proof' that the Great Tribulation has begun. Catholicism is the oldest strain of christendom for which all other denominations arose therefore is it not logical to assume that they would be viewed by the GB as the primary representative for the 'man of lawlessness'?

The general sequence for the Great Tribulation to my understanding involves

1. Destroying the harlot (Babylon)

2. Interval - yes remember the merchants and kings of the earth mourn her loss!

I) 9 “And the kings of the earth who committed fornication with her and lived in shameless luxury will weep and beat themselves in grief over her, when they look at the smoke from the burning of her, 10 while they stand at a distance because of their fear of her torment and say, ‘Too bad, too bad, you great city, Babylon you strong city, because in one hour your judgment has arrived!’

II) 15 “The traveling merchants of these things, who became rich from her, will stand at a distance because of [their] fear of her torment and will weep and mourn, 16 saying, ‘Too bad, too bad—the great city, clothed with fine linen and purple and scarlet, and richly adorned with gold ornament and precious stone and pearl, 17 because in one hour such great riches have been devastated!’ (rev. 18:15-17)

Possibly this happens simultaneously with babylon's destruction but thats not what I recall being taught! Lets face it, religions are more about human beings then temples and if you want to destroy a religion, you need to kill the people who believe in it.

The GB insinuate that many people will die during the demise of Babylon the Great possibly millions or more:

" 22 In fact, unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short." (Mat. 24:22)

In other words mankind is culled and the social and economic consequences (economic collapse?)will cause politicians and global business to 'weep'!

3. Armaggedon - whats left of mankind, politically and economically is destroyed.

Thoughts anyone?

• mamalove
    mamalove

I concur with what you have laid out there. That is also how I recall it being taught. My thoughts are that it is an incredibly pious stance, and to single out with confidence is very arrogant. It seems overkill, no pun intended. I do wonder why the Bible writes wrote what they did.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

As cult classic said, it’s not a new thought. But then, they seem to talk less about Revelation’s prophecies compared to the 70s and 80s (when I was in).

Welcome to the board!

• sir82
    sir82

I seem to recall that teaching from many decades ago - that "Christendom" would be the first to go when "Babylon the Great" is destroyed.

Considering that nothing even remotely resembling anything they have predicted will ever come true, it's moot at best.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit