Ebonics anyone?

by openminded 17 Replies latest jw friends

• openminded
    openminded

I find myself interested in linguistics and especially Ebonics and have discovered that despite the fact that I am a "whiteboy" I can "Ebonicize" about anything(Poem,Song,letter,whatever). So if you want/need anything translated into Ebonics please give me the opportunity to do it for you.

I find myself interested in linguistics an' especially Ebonics an' gots discovered dat despite da fact dat I be uh "whiteboy" I can "Ebonicize" about anything(Poem,Song,letter,whatever). So if ya want/need anythin' translated into Ebonics please give me da opportunity ta do it fo' ya. you know das right!

• Amazing
    Amazing

Ebonics: Fee, Fi, Fo ... Fee, Fee, Fo, Fi --- translated: 354-3345.

• Francois
    Francois

Ebonics? Please.

• TR
    TR

find mah'self interested in lin'uistics and especially Ebonics and gots discovered dat despite da damn fact dat ah' am some "honkyboy" ah' can "Ebonicize" about nuthin(Poem,Beat,letter,whutever). So's if ya' wants'/need nuthin translated into Ebonics please gimme de oppo'tunity t'do it fo' ya'.

TR

"YK is his name, false prophecy is his game"

• proplog2
    proplog2

A couple remembrances of time witnessing in the ghetto (african american ghetto)

Swimps = those little crustacia we all luv.

Seen on a door to a garage bay: PLEASE HONK HONE TO OPEN DOOR

• LDH
    LDH

The "HONE" thing was funny, but to be fair--anyone that's spent any time at all down south knows that's how they say it. I wouldn't call that Ebonics, I'd call that phonetics.

"Let our missels speak for our dead." --Seen on the back of white trash pickup truck after 9-11.

Lisa

• radiolady
    radiolady

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, however I find this very offensive. I am Afrian American and we do not all speak EBONICS. As far as I'm concerned that is not even a word. It's a slap in the face to all African Americans. What makes you think that speaking this way has anything to do with the word Ebony. Which means Black, which means "All Black People must speak this way". I'm guessing you must be very young. I'm not trying to start a flame, however please re-think about what you posted.
    Radiolady

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

lol @ missels.

Our missels speaks elokwantly what we ah-selve kin not sez. Boom.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Radiolady: Ebonics is "NOT" a slap in the face to African Americans. African American educators and school administrators in the Oakland and/or Berkley, California school districts seriously proposed classes in Ebonics in their jurisdictions. I think the proposal was shot down. Were these African Americans offended, they would not have made such a serious proposal. Ebonics, as I understand it, has gained some recognition on the West Coast, and not the Southern USA. In some cases it is not as much about African Americans as it is about localized street language spoken by Anglo and other Americans. The educators were trying to find a way to be able to utilize Ebonics to improve their educational system to make classes more adaptable to students who more often relate to Ebonics. It was finally shot down because it was considered the wrong way to educate. Personally, I have no opinion about it.

The little joke I told above was from a radio program I heard in Oregon where Ebonics was being discussed for Portland area schools, based on what they saw proposed in California. There was no intent to offend African Americans, and I did not even think of Ebonics as an African American style ... but only with street language commonly used in major metropolitan areas on the West Coast.

• bigboi
    bigboi

Dis, dat und dah udder wun! This is a phrase that can be mistaken for 'ebonics', but actualky comes from the broken English spoken by German immigrants who settled the area known as the 9th ward here in N'awlins.

I don't like this Ebonics thing. It kinda gives ppl the impression that broken English is the sole possession of Black ppl. That simply ain't true. All ethnic ppls that came here speak their own version of the English language more or less. It's a rarity today to find someone who uses perfect English in their everyday lives without incorporating some type of slang or 'broken' English. Languages are like that. They are constantly changing as ppl form new patterns of thought and different ways of expressing themselves.

ONE.....

bigboi

http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0MgAAAPURfsQjUeW35qgsEdTcrIDcB7KLNVUZ4CQN1rMRVHcApt*jBSnJbXDHoSWcbg0FbNly42Xy5shuBCmMcg/jwdsig.jpg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit