Do you ENJOY these endless theism/atheism - faith/reason - creation/evolution debates?

by nicolaou 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious

Enjoy? Not really. Though I do feel they are necessary.

-Sab

• asilentone
    asilentone

nope, I never got involved in any debates like that on JWN.

• unshackled
    unshackled

I hope we're making the same poing Nicolaou. But to clarify...what I'm saying is not about WHY believers go to church. But rather why the church itself wants believers to keep coming. The motivation is to control people and make money off of them.

Specifically, the Watchtower gang in new york wants to grow their number of followers, and keep and control their followers because the more they have, the more money they make. Cha-ching with tax exemption!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

asilentone, why do you not get involved? Is that those topics often get fractious or are you simply not interested in the issues?

• startingover
    startingover

Absolutely, they are my favorite type of discussion on JWN. Sometime I wonder why. I think it might be because deep down it's hard to accept that my parents and all the people I grew up with believed and that possibly I am wrong in not believing. The more I read these discussion the more I become convinced I am on the right.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I don't enjoy them for the simple reason that no one gets anywhere with such debates.

No questions are answered; no issues are resolved; no minds are changed.

I'm not bothered by cognitive dissonance, Nic.

I've known about evolution for some time now - doesn't affect my faith in any manner.

Syl

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Questions are answered, Sylia. It's interesting to see the mental gymastics and pretzel knots of logic some people go through to confirm or deny parts of the Bible, their particular interpretation, history, evidence, lack of evidence, etc.

• littlebird
    littlebird

I agree with snowbird. It really gets nowhere. Although, I do appreciate understanding where another persons viewpoint stems from, debating it, is pointless.

• tec
    tec

Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't.

As littlebird said, I enjoy learning another person's viewpoint. I enjoy being able to state how I feel and letting people take or leave that as they want. If that helps someone, even if its just seeing another point of view... then the debate has been worth it - even if I never know whether something I said helped, or contributed to helping someone later down the road. Sometimes those debates turn into insults or questioning of the intelligence or morality of the 'other' side, and I don't like that - any more than I like saying 'other' side. It can be frustrating when people don't seem to 'hear' you... and I'm sure that could be said for everyone.

Tammy

• AGuest
    AGuest

As dear Sab (peace to you!) stated, I don't necessarily ENJOY it (although, sometimes... MOST times... I do), it is necessary for me:

"At that time those who revered [please feel free to look it up] JaHVeH spoke with one another, each one with his companion, and JaHVeH kept paying attention and listening. And a book of remembrance began to be written up before Him for those who revered JaHVeH and for those thinking upon His name."

It is what I have been sent to do... and how I can work out my own salvation and perhaps that of my entire household. So, here I is.

Peace to you all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit