Individual books of the Bible

by PSacramento 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Does anyone know where I can find all the books of the Bible but as individual books and not all in One Book ie: The bible?

Not commentaries, just the actual books and letters.

The translation kind of matters but I know that "beggars can't be choosers".

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I have never seen such a thing. Perhaps one of the custom binding places would bust up a Bible for you, but you're probably talking big money for 66 individual bound books.

The closest I've seen is Psalms, Proverbs, and the NT in a single book.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I have read about "study bibles" like the Ignatius Study books, they are individual books for the Gospels and such, but I am not sure of those are bible books or commentaries.

• Quando
    Quando

I don't know if this is of any help and last time I checked it wasn't completely translated.

http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

What I am looking for is each book/letter in the bible, both OT and NT, as an individual book.

• sir82
    sir82

Philemon & Jude would be pretty short books! As well as 2 John & 3 John.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Indeed, the series I mentioend above tends to book the shorter ones into the same book, like all of Johns's letters, Galatians and Ephesians oin one book, things like that.

But I am wary of getting a "study bible" because they tend to have theri own intepretaions on things, which is fine if that was what I was looking for.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Really, you're not going to do much better in finding a stand-alone treatment of indiviudal writings than:

http://earlyjewishwritings.com/

http://earlychristianwritings.com/

Other than that, I just have in my personal library the Jerusalem Bible, Charlesworth's OT Pseudepigrapha, Layton's Gnostic Scriptures (all published by Doubleday so they sit together well on the bookshelf), along with Martinez' and Wise/Abegg/Cook's DSS volumes, Wyatt's Ugaritic religious texts, Funk's Complete Gospels and New Gospel Parallels (2 vol.), Holmes' Apostolic Fathers, the three-volume Context of Scripture, the BHS, and various other criticial editions and commentaries; that satisfies most of my documentarian needs, other than what I have in my electronic library on my hard drive. I personally would prefer to see volumes of Levantine/Jewish literature organized without regard to canonicity but by historical era. So one volume may be pre-exilic writings where things like the Yahwist pentateuchal narrative, Psalm 29, Hosea, etc. would sit alongside parabiblical texts like the Book of Balaam son of Beor (8th century BC) and Aqihar (7th-6th century BC), and another volume would consist of exilic literature (such as Ezekiel, P, Deutero-Isaiah, etc.), another of Persian-era post-exilic literature, another of early Hellenistic era literature, another of Hasmonean-era literature, another of Second Temple Roman-era literature, etc. That would make it much easier for the casual reader to see the development of ideas and themes. The present artificial division between the OT and NT and the exclusion of Hellenistic literature on a bias of canonicity produces a gulf between the OT and NT that doesn't really exist.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Yeah, I hvae those site on my computer, but I must admit I just love books, old school I guess...

I was thinking of getting the Jeruslame bible, is there any difference between the Jeruslem bible and the New Jerusalem bible?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Which Bible?

The Protestant one which has 66 books after Luther pruned it?

Or the Catholic one, which has more, like Tobit, Wisdom, Sirach, and Maccabees?

Or the Ethiopian one, which all of these but in addition has Jubilees, and Enoch?

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit