WTS and the Corporate Model

by stuckinamovement 13 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

I came to the belated realization that the way the org is structured is simply based on the classic 1950's corporate model. Note the similarities. Can you think of more? They are just another failing business.

Board of Directors- Governing Body

Regional VP's- District Overseers

Middle Management- Circuit Overseers

Supervisors- Elders

Line Staff- Publishers

Annual Meetings- District Conventions

Annual reports- Yearbook

Personnel Manual- OM book

Terminations- Disfellowshipping

Dress Code- Dress Code

Performance Evals- Shepherding calls

Internal Training Program- TMS

Weekly Staff Meetings- Watchtower Study

Career Path Opportunities- Bethel, MTS, Gilead

Promotional Opportunities- Pio, Elder, Servant

Employees turn in time cards- Field Service report

Any other similarities?

SIAM

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Nice post! I haven't really thought of it in that much detail. I think Knorr was probably VERY instrumental in developing this kind of corporate structure (although much of it existed before him). The society always gushes over him about how he was such an organizational minded person...

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Schedule and Hours--field service

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

LIke God needs a compnay. Come on.

• Essan
    Essan

Great OP.

Think about it, JW's commonly speak of "The Society" and "The Organization". Isn't that terminology bizarre for a religion? It's creepy. Cultish. (We know they are a cult, but at least they could try to hide it a little better).

The Society was actually proud of this and didn't shy from using such language openly:

"'The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is the greatest corporation in the world, because from the time of its organization until now the Lord has used it as his channel through which to make known the glad tidings...'" The Watchtower, 1917, p 22.

You might also want to research the Society's use of the terminology of business and law, which was extensive and shows their true nature, and which has been glossed over a little these days.

Think about terms like Presiding Overseer, Circuit Overseer, District Overseer, and the old "Company Servants".

• sabastious
    sabastious

"You can't fire me... I QUIT!"

-Sab

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Interesting that they claim to be no part of this world, yet use a worldly business model to structure their organization.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

The thing that strikes me is how when you look at the operation from a strictly business standpoint (set aside the wrong teachings) it is being forced to change. The way of doing business that has worked in the past is no longer a viable solution. Most large corporations have had to retool operations and organizational structure in the past 20 years. WTS is well behind that curve. The last major organizational change was the elder arrangement in the 70's.

One thing that I see is just how the growth was exponential in the past 60 years and now is slowing, the future decline in publishers/hours/bs will also be dramatically exponential. The internet has shed some light on the WTS and allowed future/current/and past witnesses to see the truth about the truth. There are a number of elders and c/o's as well as bethelites that realize it is a sham as is evidenced on this board. There is cancer within and the WTS does not realize it.

Think about it. The more people that stop publishing, mean that there is a future convert production loss in that is not yet realized. This inevitable decline is going to be fun to watch.

SIAM

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

SIAM - The only point that I disagree with is that the WTS does not realize there is a cancer and that the future viability of the org is at stake. All the minor changes that have been made both procedurally (cutting Awake to once a month, having a study WT, consolidating the CBS with the TMS/SM, cutting the PT to 1/2 hour, etc) as well as doctrinally (2 changes in the last 3 years regarding what Jesus "evidently" meant when he said "this generation will not pass away, dropping the 1935 annointed cut-off, etc) show me that they realize there are issues. They somehow think that it's the world that is causing folks to begin to doubt, to step down or not reach out, to become inactive. They can't see that it's the way they act, the demands for endless service, the guilt they put on folks for not doing enough, and the harmful shunning that splits friends and families that is really causing the decline. They're cutting costs and changing doctrine when they have no other choice. They seem to be grasping at straws for an answer.

To me, the reason most businesses fail is not that they don't reconize there are problems but they either 1) incorrectly identify the source and/or 2) the actions they take to address the problems don't work (even if the correct source is identified).

I totally agree with you that in order to survive long term, the WTS will need to change their business model to give people what they want out of a religious community. If they took an honest look at themselves, reduced the controlling behavior by dropping the whole DF/DA structure or at least the shunning aspect of it, moved more to the mainstream in terms of things like blood (making it a matter of conscious) and make the meetings less like corporate sales meetings and more like religious services catering to the needs of their flock (like break out sessions for kids, moms, dads, singles, so on and so forth). Also, instead of promoting the door to door work that is basically one of the greatest wastes of time in a JW's life, they could instead promote charity work and community service to spread the Word.

Time and time again on this board, it's the lack of love and the lack of a feeling of community that really pushs people to doubt. Of course, the doctrinal issues are readily apparent when you look at them with an open mind. But, I really think its the behavior of others that allows members to take a hard look at what the WTS teaches.

I'll bet if they made it more user friendly, the doctrinal issues would be a lot less harmful to them.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Well I guess they can eliminate the regional vp's. This religous recession is a bitch.

Siam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit