Five Serious Questions for Lurking Jehovah's Witnesses

by Ebed_Abodah 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ebed_Abodah
    Ebed_Abodah

[quote="Ebed_Abodah"]As ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses we believe that there are numerous points taught by the “faithful and discreet slave” and its Governing Body that contradict the Bible, the very book that they are supposedly drawing all their beliefs from. If Jehovah God is actually using the Governing Body to disseminate “scriptural truths,” as they like to call it, then any seeming contradictions between what they teach and what the Bible teaches would be easily answered to a point that all would find satisfaction with.

With this in mind, I want to ask any active Jehovah’s Witnesses who may view this site some questions that have stuck out in my mind. These questions, with Bible verses to support my view, are coming from me honestly and without any trickery involved. I can guarantee you that if you can answer these questions satisfactorily with ample Biblical citations, I will seriously consider returning to the Organization. I post these with an open mind and look forward to any answers that you may give. Remember, my everlasting life depends upon you answering these questions as well as possible using the Bible as your one and only basis. No quoting Watchtower articles or any other publications, although you can use them for personal reference.

By doing this, you are following the advice of the Apostle James: “My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.” – James 5:19-20

[b][u]Questions[/b][/u]
    [b]1.[/b] The Society, pointing to Revelation 7:9-17, claims that the Great Crowd are those who will live on earth forever. Many people reject this notion, pointing to Revelation 7:15, where it says that the Great Crowd is standing before the throne and is serving God in his Temple day and night. The Watchtower Society counters this argument with Isaiah 66:1 where it says, “Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool.” The Great Crowd can be on earth but still serve God before the throne.

At a glance, this reasoning can be considered just as valid as any other reasoning that any “apostates” or non-Jehovah’s Witnesses can come up with. No one can argue with the interpretation set forth…except for one point. If you open your copy of the Society’s publication, “The Kingdom Interlinear of the Christian Greek Scriptures” and go to the Greek at Revelation 7:15, and look at the word for “temple” there, you will see that the English rendering of “temple” from Greek to English is not “temple” but is “divine habitation.” The original Greek word is [i]naos[/i] and the Watchtower Society has it perfectly right that this word is divine habitation, or divine dwelling. With the original Greek as a basis, which is a more powerful witness then any English translation of the Bible, we find that the Great Crowd is serving God in his “divine dwelling” and the only “divine dwelling” of God is heaven.

Please, if I am wrong, using the Bible, explain to me why with Scripture citations clearly identified and valid to the point.

[b]2.[/b] The Governing Body teaches that only the 144,000 make up modern day “spiritual Israel” while the Great Crowd pictures the gentiles who joined themselves to fleshly Israel. They also teach that only the 144,000 are Sons of God while the Great Crowd will not receive that title until later, after they have reached perfection after the Millennial Reign. Now, concerning those who are spiritual Jews the Bible says, “If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.” (Galatians 3:29) Also, concerning those who are Sons of God the Bible says, “Those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.” (Romans 8:14) If you reject the notion that you are a Son of God, you then you are not led by the Spirit of God. If you reject the notion that you make up “spiritual Israel”, you do not belong to Christ.

One further point can be found in the book of Revelation. There we read of the 144,000: “And I heard the number of those who were sealed, a hundred and forty-four thousand, sealed [b]out of every tribe of the sons of Israel.[/b]” (Revelation 7:4) Yes, the 144,000 are “sealed [i]out of every tribe of the sons of Israel.”[/i] If the 144,000 are sealed OUT of Israel, that means that they were part of Israel before they were sealed, before they were part of the 144,000. Jehovah took 12,000 from each tribe of Israel. That means that each tribe is larger than the number taken from them. If each tribe is larger than 12,000 people, who else makes up that tribe? Christendom? Natural Jews? The only reasonable answer is that other Christians, not part of the 144,000, are also part of Israel, right?

Please, if I am wrong, using the Bible, explain to me why with Scripture citations clearly identified and valid to the point.

[b]3.[/b] The “faithful and discreet slave” call themselves such using Matthew 24:45-47 as a basis. Although we are all familiar with it, quoting it will be beneficial. “Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? Happy is that slave if his master on arriving finds him doing so. Truly I say to you, He will appoint him over all his belongings.” That is all the Bible has in reference to the “faithful and discreet slave,” excluding, of course, the parallel account in the book of Luke found in chapter 21.

Now, the Society claims that Jesus inspected the “faithful and discreet slave,” in fulfillment of Malachi 3:1-4, in the year 1918 and called them “faithful and discreet” in the year 1919. Unfortunately, they never have scripture to back this claim up.

If we remember that Jesus’ speech regarding the last days does not end at the end of Matthew 24 but continues into Matthew 25, perhaps we can ascertain when Jesus chose (or will choose) who his faithful slave is.

"For it is just as when a man, about to travel abroad, summoned slaves of his and committed to them his belongings. And to one he gave five talents, to another two, to still another one, to each one according to his own ability, and he went abroad. Immediately the one that received the five talents went his way and did business with them and gained five more. In the same way the one that received the two gained two more. But the one that received just one went off, and dug in the ground and hid the silver money of his master. After a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. So the one that had received five talents came forward and brought five additional talents, saying, ‘Master, you committed five talents to me; see, I gained five talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘[b][i]Well done, good and faithful slave! You were faithful over a few things. I will appoint you over many things.[/b][/i] Enter into the joy of your master.’ Next the one that had received the two talents came forward and said, ‘Master, you committed to me two talents; see, I gained two talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘[i][b]Well done, good and faithful slave! You were faithful over a few things. I will appoint you over many things.[/i][/b] Enter into the joy of your master.’” – Matthew 25:14-23

According to this parable, when does Jesus Christ call his slave “good and faithful?” It is at the same time as this: “And throw the good-for-nothing slave out into the darkness outside. There is where his weeping and the gnashing of his teeth will be.” (Matthew 25:30) Does not Jesus call his slave “good and faithful” at the same time as he throws his other “good-for-nothing slave” into “the darkness outside”, or Gehenna? If Jesus pronounced his one slave “good and faithful” in 1919, where is the evidence that any “good-for-nothing” slaves were thrown into Gehenna? Mustn’t this still be future?

[b]4.[/b] The Bible calls the holy spirit “the spirit of truth” and says “when that one arrives…he will guide you into all the truth.” (John 16:13) Now, the Governing Body claims to be led by this “spirit of truth” and that lays a burden upon them: they must always be right when claiming that they were led to a certain point by the holy spirit. Take the Generation teaching for example. The Society has changed that teaching FIVE times, 1927, 1942, 1949, 1995, and 2008, with further information being added in 2010. In fact, the 2008 understanding is nearly identical with the understanding from 1927. So, what is the “spirit of truth” doing here, leading the Society in circles? How can the Society be wrong on this point and many others which they have changed if they are led by the spirit of truth? Shouldn’t they have gotten it right the first time?

Now, Proverbs 4:18 is used to make the point that teachings will change. “But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established.” Non-Witnesses counter that this is not talking about an entire group and its teachings, that they will change as Jehovah adds increased light, but that it is talking about “the righteous ONE”, singular. As this righteous one continues on his walk with God, he or she ALONE has increased understanding of truth. The path that he is walking on gets brighter and brighter – his understanding of the Bible grows. This point is further backed up in the [i]Watchtower[/i] of 9/1/1997, page 32.

[b]5.[/b] The Watchtower Society claims that only the 144,000 are involved in the New Covenant and that the Great Crowd are not [i]participants[/i] in it but are [i]beneficiaries[/i] of it. A question must be asked: what is the New Covenant? Well, Jesus said, “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf.” (Luke 22:20) Now, the New Covenant comes into effect by the blood of Christ. The blood of Christ was shed for all mankind. Therefore, all Christians would be saved by the blood, by the New Covenant.

The Bible further says, “Look! There are days coming,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “and I will conclude with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant… For this is the covenant that I shall conclude with the house of Israel after those days,” is the utterance of Jehovah. “I will put my law within them, and in their heart I shall write it. And I will become their God, and they themselves will become my people.” (Jeremiah 31:31, 33) This is the New Covenant. The Law, the Old Covenant, written in words is invalid. The New Covenant is valid and written on a Christian’s heart. There is nothing in these passages that suggests that one group of Christians are part of the New Covenant while another group is excluded, right? If you are saved by Jesus blood, you are part of the New Covenant.

Now, the Society will counter with Luke 22:29. “I make a covenant with you, just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom.” They say that this is the New Covenant and all anointed Christians are part of it. They claim that all present when the bread and the wine were passed around were the eleven faithful disciples. This proves that only faithful anointed Christians are part of the New Covenant, or the Covenant for a Kingdom. (Witnesses claim these two are the same while all other Christians hold these two to be separate.) There are only two problems.
    First, none of those who partook of the bread and wine were anointed yet. That wasn’t until fifty days later. Second, Judas Iscariot WAS in the room and partook of the bread and wine. “Also, he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: ‘This means my body which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.’ Also, the cup in the same way after they had the evening meal, he saying: ‘This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf. But, look! the hand of my betrayer is with me at the table.’” – Luke 22:19-21

Again, the Society claims in [i]Insight on the Scriptures[/i] that Luke did not write his book in chronological order, which is completely okay. This, though, contradicts what Luke himself wrote. “Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things accomplished among us…it seemed fitting for me as well, having investigated everything carefully from the beginning, to write it out for you in consecutive [consecutive: following, in succession, without interruption; Having some logical sequence, back to back, without gaps] order.” Yes, all evidence supports that all Christians are part of the New Covenant and, as a result, all Christians should partake of the emblems, just as Judas Iscariot did.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Marking.

Very good points, thank you.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Hey, you! :) Nice to see you.

• moshe
    moshe

an intro would be nice- just so we know you aren't a reincarnated Internet spirit who has been here before.

JWs have a 30 second attention span, so brevity is your friend.

Now, the Society claims that Jesus inspected the "faithful and discreet slave," in fulfillment of Malachi 3:1-4, in the year 1918 and called them "faithful and discreet" in the year 1919. Unfortunately, they never have scripture to back this claim up.

How do you help people who don't need any proof to back up the outlandish claims the WT has made in the past and keeps making today? You can't help them until they demand proof. Then when they finally see the light, they are too scared to do anything about it and turn into fader ex-JW doormats, so they can't get out of the KH, anyway. They just drive themselves mad lying about they believe about the WT religion.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    JWs have a 30 second attention span

Generous figure, my friend.

-Sab

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

Question one. From Genesis to Revelation the Bible speaks of the earth being inhabited indefinitely. Not everything in Revelation is symbolic but much of it is. The word in the original Masoretic Text can be rendered:

• Country
    • Land
    • Territory
    • Ground
    • Soil

There's a Hebrew word for earth, but it didn't exist when the Hebrew scriptures were sealed. The Hebrews that wrote the Bible didn't understand "the land" to be a planet.

• sabastious
    sabastious

^ How does that answer question one in the OP?

-Sab

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Alice:

From Genesis to Revelation the Bible speaks of the earth being inhabited indefinitely.
    There's a Hebrew word for earth, but it didn't exist when the Hebrew scriptures were sealed.

Point #1 was using scriptures in Revelation. Was Revelation written in Hebrew?

Why are you bringing up the Hebrew language with reference to Revelation?

• fieldgoal
    fieldgoal

Some good points indeed.

Speaking as a reincarnated Internet spirit who has been here before (Is that a problem?) I would like to contribute the following, which came to me with a careful reading of the surrounding scriptures .

Note this application of Jesus' coming:

It is obviously at Armageddon.

"***w973/1p.13AreYouReadyforJehovah?sDay?***

On this account you too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that you do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming." (Matthew 24:40-44;-----) Not knowing the exact time of Jesus coming to execute God's vengeance tends to keep us vigilant and gives us daily opportunity to prove that we serve Jehovah with unselfish motives.

Then the context of the illustration:

(Matthew 24:36-47) 36 "Concerning that day and hour (Jesus coming to execute God's vengeance)nobody knows, ------------------42 Keep on the watch, therefore, because YOU do not know on what day YOUR Lord is coming.(Jesus coming to execute God's vengeance)-----------------------44 On this account YOU too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming. (Jesus coming to execute God's vengeance) 45 "Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? 46 Happy is that slave if his master on arriving (the footnote says 'having come')finds him doing so. 47 Truly I say to YOU, He will appoint him over all his belongings.

(Matthew 24:50-51)

50 the master of that slave will

come on a day that he does not expect

and in an hour that he does not know, 51 and will punish him with the greatest severity. . .

Here is

the question

If verses 36, 42, 44, and 50 apply to the unexpected coming / arrival of Jesus at Armageddon, how can verse 46 (his 'having come') step out of the context & apply to 1919?

w878/1p.16Christ?sActiveLeadershipToday***

5 The modern history of God?s people shows that this time of

accounting came in 1918-19

They were collectively found to be the "slave

• fieldgoal
    fieldgoal

Sorry about the small letters in the previous post

the question

If verses 36, 42, 44, and 50 apply to the unexpected coming / arrival of Jesus at Armageddon, how can verse 46 (his 'having come') step out of the context & apply to 1919?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit