PZ Myers mocks Latest Awake

by cofty 22 Replies latest jw friends

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Damn and I thought I was thru with proselytizing!

• Growingup
    Growingup

I found it exceptionally deceptive that they quoted m ichael dentons book from the 80's (that has never been revised) saying the theroy of evolution is a myth. In the tradition of 'new-light', denton wrote a book over ten years later admiting he did believe in the 'law of evolution'... so much for the watchtower using updated source material.

Further, there is kind of a deceptive way they talk about Anthony Flew - saying he ditched the idea of athiesm, they hint that he converted to religion but anyone who knows anything knows he and Paul Davies (Who has been rejected by the scientific community for his unscientific science.) are deists, not christians. This artical should had been named "Fringe physicist and biologists who wrote books in the 80's reject christianity and observable science for a more vauge concept"

It continues to argue that houses just don't pop into existance. I also enjoyed the little box about how god feels about human sacrifice. Jehovah was obviously pissed because all of those children were being burned up for another god, not him. After all, Jehovah doesn't mind human sacrifice, as long as it's to him. See the lovely story : Jephthah burns his daughter to make god happy. Judges 11:29-40. It's a great bed-time story.

I'm sure glad we get our morals from the bible.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Haha this story is now on the front page of Digg!

No Apologies

• cofty
    cofty

One of the comments caught my attention, it never occurred to me that house-to-house calling was so bad-mannered.

I pointed out that they were playing the common missionary of trick coming to my house without invitation and presuming on my politeness in a social Catch-22. That is, by not getting advanced permission they set it up that I had either endure their bullshit or risk "being rude" to them in order to get them, the unwelcome guest, to leave.

So, instead of "being polite" or making some BS excuse, I turned the tables on them and told them that they were being "quite rude" by presuming up on me without asking my permission to come over and clearly without regard to my personal space and time. Especially at that hour of the day which is dinner/family time.

Then I shut the door in their faces. Just left them there.

Interesting perspctive

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Link to the specific post on the blog. . .

The Jehovah's Witnesses Redefine Irony

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/09/the_jehovahs_witnesses_redefin.php

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Oh that's great!

God I wish we could turn the New Atheists loose on the Watchtower. The carnage would be fantastic!

BTS

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

A different version of the mags picture from my web site

Hope this image shows up OK...

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

Guess not. I had an image on my web site I tried to post here, but I forgot that it's set to block links. So I did it to myself. Oops.

• seawolf
    seawolf

very funny reading. I'm laughing my butt off at the comments.

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

OK, now it's working...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit