Do Jewish people still consider themselves to be "the chosen people"?

by Quillsky 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

The Old Testament makes it clear that Jewish people were considered (by themselves) to be "God's chosen people". Then that sweet Jewish boy Jesus came along and said "It's nonsense, we're all the same, welcome goyim."

So does modern Judaism still hold the view that Jewish people are preferred by God, with some special destiny?

If I walk past a Jewish person in the street does he consider himself "chosen by God" while I'm not? If I work with a Jewish person does she consider herself "chosen by God" and hence superior to goyim like me? What is the reality of 21st century Judaism?

• moshe
    moshe

The answer you get will depend on which Jewish person you ask. The guys in black hats will likely say, 'yes', but the Jews in a Reform temple will probably just laugh at that one.

added- some Jews wear jewelry with the letters, MOT, member of the tribe. The Jewish people, their language and history go back further than any other modern day ethnic group that I am aware of. Are the Jews a chosen people?- or just an especially stubborn people? By inference, if the Jews were never a God chosen people, then Christianity is a fraudulent religion, too. Too much thinking about these matters makes a lot of people uncomfortable.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Here's an interesting take on the Jews....

...from http://www.kryon.com/k_chaneltoronto06.html

The Jews

The Jews are not a race. Anthropologists will look at the Jewish civilization and say it has every attribute of a race, but it can't be defined as such since it does not qualify scientifically. However, even the anthropologists and sociologists know that it has a different attribute than any civilization that's ever existed. Intuitively, they're picking up on the Akash. Here are the astral rules: There must be a core, karmic group that lies on the Crystalline Grid of the planet and never changes. It cannot change, for it is the hub. That means it is the staple of humanity. This is not in your science or your mythology, but it is very real and the proof is in the history.

In this particular case, the Jews are the hub. They have come into the earth for this purpose and they were called "God's Chosen People." And before you lift your head and say, "Why them, and not others? Why do they get to be chosen instead of some of the other deserving kinds?," let me finish the sentence. They are "God's Chosen People" to suffer the hub energy. . . to be moved around the planet and be chased and hated. Wherever they go, others will be after them to wipe them out or enslave them. That's their purpose because they hold the hub of the Human Akash, a powerful position of astral importance.

All your history will show this. There is no other group who has consistently been pursued for annihilation through more than 4,000 years. Intuitively, the dictators, the masters, the Caesars all knew it. Intuitively, if they could eliminate the Jews, they themselves would take on the power of the Akash, or so they felt. They would become the core! That's how it continues even this day. Some will say, "Well, that's an interesting story, Kryon. Do you have any proof of that?" I say to you, just look at your history and tell me what other people have been pursued in this fashion all the way through their history? From enslavement by the Egyptians to elimination by the Romans, it goes on to the present day. From the recent events of the Nazis to current verbiage of Iran in the Middle East, they all wanted this "race" gone or enslaved. Oh, they all had their 3D reasons, but it's more than a coincidence that Jews are chased wherever they go. This is what they were chosen for. Are you beginning to understand? Now let me tell you the other side of that.

In return for this Earth service as a Jew, they have a pure karmic attribute that each time they return in a new life, they get to be Jewish again. How do you like this plan? It sounds unfair, does it not? But it must be this way. When Jews move into a non-Jewish lifetime, they never come back within the "race" of Judaism. It also has another attribute you can clearly see on the planet. Instead of passing around the torch of experience, as some of you have done through civilization, they've always been Jewish. Once a Jew, always a Jew, until they step out of that circle and then they cannot go back. The karmic attribute is a pure one. Now, perhaps in today's energy it's not politically correct to say it, but as you look around the earth, can you not see that Jews run things? They are in important places and seem to remain there. They're the masters of the shops and the corporate captains of industry. They understand how Human nature works because they've been there and they've done that for eons and eons. They have an edge on the rest of you, since their "experience jars" are filled with riding the same bicycle over and over and never having to learn on another one. But they pay for it. That's who the Jews are.

• moshe
    moshe

Jews are at the top of the Nobel prize winners, too. Interesting article P-S, thanks for sharing.

• StAnn
    StAnn

The Jews ARE God's chosen people. The Gentiles are grafted in. A covenant is much deeper than a contract; it can't be broken. God still has a covenant with the Jews. The New Covenant is for everybody but is initiated by faith in Jesus Christ. The Old Covenant was initiated by circumcision and obedience to the Mosaic Law.

St. Paul tells us in Romans and Galatians, no human being is capable of fully obeying the law. The Old Covenant is a foreshadowing of what God wanted to give to human kind, which is Jesus. God wants the Jews to come to faith in Christ just like he wants all people to come to faith in Christ.

It is not in the Father's will that any shall perish.

• designs
    designs

............................ ok everybody, get thee to a Synagogue

Ask the good Rabbi about Attah Bechartanu, and the 'Two Views', the 'yoke of woven Roses', and to end the lesson ask about the real meaning of the Isaiah passage on the 'Servant, the Man of Sorrows' that christians love to extract and get so backwards.

'We hold that all peoples ___________________ ' After your lessons you should be able to finish the sentence.

• Voices
    Voices

I strong believe that it's individualized as far as 'chosen' or not. And whoever the Father calls out...is chosen.

"As you may presently be well aware of, my grammer sucks " ~ family guy

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

I knew you'd weigh in here, moshe, thanks!

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

ProdigalSon, that article is the biggest load of shit I've read this year. And I've read a lot of stinky stuff.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Jewish people are HUGELY successful all over the world. Nobel prizes and Hollywood status and banks are just a small part of the success of the Jewish diaspora.

I propose that it's an awesome community spirit rather than any kind of "chosen" status that creates success.

Does the Jewish faith teach that god is watching over Jewish individuals today because they are of "the chosen people"? Or what?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit