Is Alcohol Bad For You?

by sabastious 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

It's been around forever so.....

it can't be that bad!!!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

If you're an alcoholic...then yes. wine makes me sleepy...i guess that's probably true for a lot of people. but you know what's better than alcohol?!?!?!?!??! ...a pickle vlassic! (not classic!)

i'm trying to promote PICKLES people! ...ironically...we don't give attention much to this delicate deliciousness of savory taste. mmm pickles...you know...one pickle a day can infact ...uh...make you like ME! ...and WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE LIKE ME?!

Oh you're kidding me! Wouldn't you rather BE pickled than eat pickles?

• viva
    viva

"All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous." - Paracelsus

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Sorry, Six, I didn't read it on line but in a book. Trying to remember the name of it, (it wasn't my book). Something about aging and brain health written by Doctor. I'll try to see if I can find a reference to it on line.

• marriedtojw
    marriedtojw

Drinking yourself into a stupor to extinguish pain is part of a self-destructive downward spiral.

That was me yesterday... been many years since I did that... and I'm pretty ashamed of how I acted... maybe its age but a beer or two now adays is good..any more than that I act like a fool and waste a lot of money... those days are long gone for me...

• TonyT
  • cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I found a good link to a plethoria of medical studies. The trend does seem to say that moderate drinking not only reduces blood pressure but coronary artery disease, stroke and cognitive decline in both men and women.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/272/12/929

So I must retract my former statements. It just goes to show that is not a good idea to take one isolated study and draw conclusions from that, especially if it is just saying what we want it to say. Actually, my first reference was not a study but a quote from a doctor slogging a book on PBS, so one must always consider the bias and motivation in possibly flawed advice.

However, the beneficial limits were very exact and firm, 1 drink for women and 2 for men per day. More than that, and the reverse was true, and risk was increased for all of the health problems above. It was also interesting that the UK government changed the limits to 2 drinks per day for women despite the fact that there was no medical evidence to support this change and as a result drinking increased.

http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/29/1/57

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Bad news!

I found a meta-analysis of hundreds of studies that show a co-relation between even moderate drinking and the increase of almost every kind of cancer. The more you drink, the higher the correlation becomes.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh25-4/263-270.htm

So choose your method of death, heart disease or cancer. Somethings gonna kill you. I guarantee it!

• freydo
    freydo

As it was expressed once in a movie, "there's more old drunks than there are old doctors."

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Is Alcohol Bad For You?

Only if you don't drink enough of it. Heh, heh. I saw a hilarious bumper sticker the other day:

"Beer: helping to teach white men to dance since 1837!"

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit