The way to justify a JW

by BQE 5 Replies latest jw friends

• BQE
    BQE

Hi all

I had gotten a few minutes to myself this morning and I was looking through some old photo albums of my family and such. I couldnt help but think to myself "what a waste." I have family members and friends who are so talented and so gifted in many ways that I am not, yet they choose to remain Witnesses.

Even the small handfull that know its all a lie, still choose to remain that way. I have contact, despite being DFd over 20 years now, with the more open-minded family members, or so to speak. I ask them often why is it that they remain. I know for a fact that they lurk, sometimes even post messages in forums such as this one or H20, and often times they don't defend the WT on many issues. Yet they will never leave the Watchtower, not for a million $$$.

I remebered this morning while I was looking at some pictures that in fact, being a JW is an easy way to live. While I was a JW I could easily refuse certain types of responsibilities at school or at work because "its against my religion." I could cop out of having to buy christmas gifts or birthday stuff for that same reason. I could basically go thru life avoiding everyone and everything, if I chose to. I didn't have to be ambitious, goal-oriented or personable. Especially back in the heydays of 1975 I could almost drop out of mainstream society, like some of the folks who moved into the KH in my area circa 1973. I wouldn't have had to work, go to school, nada, just walk around town and pretend to be in field service.

I just hope that my friends and relatives, who I know are probably going to read this, wake up and smell the coffee. Yes it's easy alright to have someone think for you, but having experienced the glorious freedom of thinking and doing for yourself, I am so glad I am not in their shoes.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Hey man,

I just made another thread about this. It's out on main if you want to look at it.

I think perhaps it's just the love of tradition, the old "it was good enough for my parents, and grandparents, so it's good enough for me and my children." I think people don't want to lose a chunk of family history, or be ashamed of silliness in it's past.

My father would never leave because he's been there so long. He wants to reap something from his 'investment', although I don't really know what he expects.

I agree with you, though.

ashi

• BQE
    BQE

tee hee hee.... aparently we were thinking the same thoughts today.....must be something in the water.

I also posted for the benefit of some family members of mine that I know lurk here....I hope sometime soon they will come "out" if we all prod them enough. That is why I like this forum; very often someone will come and post a really great topic refuting some of the most fundamental beliefs that the JWs have, sometimes with their own literature. I love it when those type of things just fly in their face!!

BTW Im a girly girl

• razorMind
    razorMind

BQE,

I know what you mean. Almost all my dad's siblings (12 in all) and a lot of the grandkids are gifted in painting/drawing. Yet, even the ones who're not presently JWs grew up as JWs, and never pursued their talents. Actually nobody in the family, including my sisters and myself, ever did.

Some of Dad's siblings feel guilty about not being in the org, and still feel they need to "get their lives together" and return. Even though they probably never will, they still feel that guilt.

I think people don't want to lose a chunk of family history
    I agree here. Especially since my dad's folks were some of the first JWs in the area where he grew up (his grandfather was one of the "anointed").

I too, think sometimes, "What a waste....."

• LB
    LB

Lots of witnesses give up much more than they realize. My son was an extremly good cyclist. We have saved many of his championship jerseys and medals. He doesn't want them now. When he turned 19 he also turned pro and was offered an extremely good contract with a top team.

He turned it down. He had just been baptized. He was encouraged to not play any sports. After all how can you serve Jehovah racing bikes all over Europe.

He's 25 now, married with a child. He's not as happy as he thought he would be. This is my greatest regret. But, he will be fine.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• SYN
    SYN

Thank God I got out before I finished High School! Otherwise I have this dreadful feeling that my mind would be wasting away in Bethel right now.

"I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone." -- Charles Darwin, The Origin Of Species, 1869.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit