Sarcasm versus irony

by Quillsky 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

For years I have tried to understand the difference between SARCASM and IRONY.

Sarcasm is "the lowest form of wit", some say. But irony is funny, or intellectual, somehow superior?

Recently I began to really understand sarcasm and why it is so very ugly. Sarcasm is simply stupidly stating the complete opposite of what you mean, and hoping that your recipient/listener/reader will understand that what you mean is 180 degrees from what you stated. And that the reason for speaking in that way is simply sneering a bit, and hoping your victim and all bystanders will "get" you.

Irony is more subtle. I love the intelligence of irony, but I find it difficult to explain.

So how is sarcasm different from irony? Do you have any good examples?

• pirata
    pirata

Sarcasm: Great Post! (but I mean it sucks)

Irony: Me saying "Great Post!" sarcastically when all MY posts suck.

Could one say that sarcasm is irony with the intention to put someone or something down? Whereas irony is where reality is somehow contradictory to the words?

PS. I don't really think your post sucks. It's good.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Sarcasm is the shield that an insecure person uses to prevent him from getting discovered

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

Irony is not a form of humor. Something can be funny because it is ironic, but not all things ironic are funny.

It can be debated that sarcasm is a type of irony. Sarcasm can actually be quite funny at times. This sign is both sarcastic and hilarious.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Thanks for the pic, TheClarinetist. I disagree though - this is neither sarcastic nor hilarious - perhaps it's indeed a good but basic example of visual irony?

There's no sneering, no 180 degrees directed at anyone, he's just being witty, saying what he doesn't mean, in an ironic way.

• Judge Dread
  • Quillsky
    Quillsky
    Irony is not a form of humor.

It can, however, be an outstanding demonstration of wit.

• agonus
    agonus

Sarcasm:"Troll 2 really wasn't THAT bad..."

Irony:Troll 2 really wasn't THAT bad!

Unintentional irony: Pretentious dipshit Agonus has never actually seen Troll 2.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"Some" people have personality disorders that keep them from appreciating sarcasm. Maybe those are the people who say "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"?

The rest of us think The Onion, Colbert, John Stewart, Mark Twain et al are hilarious.

*some others say "the pun is the lowest form of wit" but that depends on the cleverness - puns are pretty easy to come by; I suppose with sarcasm it usually depends on the cleverness and the intent.

• agonus
    agonus

I dunno water bear, I would say the comic goldmines you just mentioned are actually more ironic than sarcastic...

Puns are the lowest form of wit, for they are the FOUNDATION of all wit!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit