Bible Contradictions

by brotherdan 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I will go out on a limb and say that this has probably been discussed alot. But for my own personal benefit I'd like to hear everyones "favorite" bible contradiction. I'd also like to hear any refutes that anyone has to any of these contradictions. Like I've said in other threads, I've yet to find one that is not clearly explainable.

But in the mindset of making sure of all things and examining all of my beliefs, I'd like to see if there are any that get me to think.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

How about this? 2 Peter is not original: it is simply Jude rewritten with some more scriptures added to it. Not a contradiction but a plagiarism.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

God is jealous, but God is love - which is it?

Sampson got mystical powers because, in part, he kept his hair long - Paul says long hair on men is against nature. How long should my hair be?

Lot was a good man - yet he had sex with his daughters, and offered his daughters out to (what is commonly explained as) a rapist crowd. Seems a little contradictory to me...?

There are little inconssitencies between the Gospel accounts - to me, so what, but you'd think an inspired Word would be completely error-free.

Then there's the little problem of that rodent mis-identified in the OT - probably not the kind of contradiction you're looking for, but from an infallible document it's a little perplexing.

Certainly "my favorites" are not of particular value - there's whol Websites devoted to this stuff. Google is your friend.

• whereami
    whereami

"clearly explainable"?

End of discussion.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Just make sure to use the word "evidently" often and add in whatever you need to add in and ignore what's there to avoid a contradiction and there won't be any.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Jealousy and love aren't mutually-exclusive personality traits.

Samson was under a special provision under the Mosaic law, and Paul was under the Christian way.

Incest wasn't a crime against god at that point. Offering his daughters instead of the materialized angels was a contradiction. It was more of a wow, that is some crazy adherance to principles right there!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Like I've said in other threads, I've yet to find one that is not clearly explainable.

Well, that's the thing. Just because something is technically harmonizable doesn't mean that said harmonization is the most likely account of the text.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Moses was punished for saying he brought water from a rock, instead of god but Jesus wasn't punished for saying he would raise the temple after three days. Assuming of course god and jesus are two different entities. My JW is still working on this one.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

NT God was loving and emotional. Kind of an Emo-Diety.

OT God was known for killing everything in sight and carrying a wallet that said "Bad Mother F***er" on it. Kind of like an immortal Samuel L. Jackson.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Speaking of Moses....he saw god face to face, yet later no man had seen god's face and yet lived.

Oh, the very day you eat of the tree you shall die, yet they lived 900+ years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit