How it happened....

by AK - Jeff 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I was reflecting today on just how it happened. How did I, a man who believed himself to be a clean worshiper of the Most Holy God, have a Crisis of Faith that resulted in my current state of affairs? How did I get here, when I was not sure even which way the wind was about to blow me?

The process has been more complex than I can fairly convey in a few words. But it all began with 'doubt', which lead to 'doubt' about more and even larger matters of faith, which lead to even larger matters. As far as I can tell, in the whirlwind that has whisked me to this point over seven years, it happened like this:

Doubt : That Jehovah's Witnesses were displaying the love that Jesus stated would be a Hallmark of his followers. Embracing the reality of that doubt, lead to Doubt: That the prohibition demanding that I dare not examine my religion, as it was above reproach was acceptable if the persons claiming exclusive access to God, through his son Jesus, were not showing an exemplary level of that love. That lead to examination, in the following order of:

• Churches of Christianity
    • Then Christianity itself
    • Then the basis of Christianity, the Bible
    • Then Religion in General
    • Then the basis of those religious systems and their Holy Writs
    • Then philosophy
    • Then scientific methods, the fossil records, Darwin's theories
    • Then the ideology of the God-Divine idea itself
    • Then atheism, agnosticism, humanism

In the end, though of course in seven years one could not overturn every rock or pebble in such examination, one can overturn sufficient evidence that one may accept a conclusion, if not an absolute one.

Along the way, epiphanies of sorts have crossed my pathway, touchstones that have shaped my end view. Like an onion, one finds himself peeling layer after layer, finding each layer still rotten, until one gets to the heart of the onion, and finds that every view, every opinion that was ever held, was held in blind, unblinking credulous sanctity that it did not deserve. He then casts the entire rotten onion away and begins to shape opinion based on reality instead of credulity, on fact instead of fantasy, on rock instead of sand.

There is no certainty in this life. The atheist and the believer in god walk the tenuous pathway of life, never able to absolutely 'prove' what he believes, or in the case of the atheist, what he doesn't believe. For me, that is both acceptable and fair. There is not enough time in a hundred lifetimes to ever 'prove' whether god created man or man created god. But for a certainty, there is ample time in this one lifetime to see clearly that at least of the gods I have observed, they are all man-made. Whether there is divine, I cannot know. And so why should I try and know what no man has ever known?

Much as did Thomas Jefferson, I would like to see mankind remove the supernatural aspects of life from both his Holy Writ and his nightmares. I cannot affect such as that of course, but can certainly do so within myself. For the morals, positive outlook, dignity presented within the words, not the works as attributed to Jesus, have great value. For that matter, so do the writings and words of many men and women who have graced this earth. For why would one reject the wisdom of Camus or Gandhi or Breslov or La Rochefoucauld while accepting the words of Jesus?

To be sure, this journey is not one of ease. Some who read these words have undertaken a similar journey. Others have met a different fork in the road and chosen that. Some perhaps are just beginning a journey, a new life, new understanding, building new perspective. Perhaps some, like myself, are standing at a crossroads, almost as if in a fog, wondering where this will all lead them. Maybe one or two readers of this thread are just this very day feeling the earliest pangs of doubt clawing at the cockles of their minds.

Seven years ago, had anyone told me I would stand where I am today, embracing a pathway that began with doubts about my choice of religion and now bringing me to places I could never have envisioned - I would have suggested that they had gone mad.

A quote that will perhaps forever shape my thinking was this:

"It is always easier to believe than to deny. Our minds are naturally affirmative." John Burroughs

He was correct. It was far easier to just waddle through life believing in god, waiting on god, expecting god to arrive or deal with the serious problems that plague mankind or ourselves individually. But god has become the Great Absentee Father to me. And I am quite grateful that his followers cannot muster any significant evidence in support of him. For that inability to rationally prove that god made man, rather than the opposite, has been the single most compelling wind in my sails away from him.

My mind is now free for whatever years it will be allowed to function, to roam reality instead of superstitious hallways of fantasy. Then one day my molecules will return to the earth. And as it was before me, so it will be after me, billions of years will pass and this speck upon a speck will have been forgotten entirely.

One thing is certain: Previous to my doubts I missed life. I watched it pass me by, waiting on god to act, when I should have been acting.

I will not take for granted a moment of the glorious experiences called life.

Peace to all this night.

Jeff

• onemore
    onemore

Profound words my friend,

I will not take for granted a moment of the glorious experiences called life .

I second that motion.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Interesting comment AK. I like how you seem to have some order to your journey. For me, mine is a bit disjointed at present. It seems like new concepts are comming at me fast and furious. Things I knew/sensed since childhood, but had squeched for the sake of others feelings and my own cowardice.

I don't know if I believe the Bible is God's word or if there is a God. I've come to the conclusion that I've wasted too much of my life agonizing over what he wants or doesn't want from us. This was all going on centuries before I ever arrived on the scene and I'm not responsible for having to have all the answers.

I don't like how Christians think they can claim that when people are good, they are being "Christian". There are plenty of good people in the world who are that way without even knowing a thing about Jesus. I don't like how Christians are willing to punish those who don't believe what they do.

I'm glad to have cast off the burdens placed on me by an orginization and organization members, since childhood, and at this late stage in my life, start finding out what it is to live...today....and enjoy it without the feeling of universal significance being attached to everything I do. I am noticing in myself, a growing sense that the best is yet to come.

Hope it's that way for you too.

• Hadit
    Hadit

Thanks for sharing that Jeff. Great writing skills. I enjoyed reading about your journey. We sure have been letting life pass us by while in the org. You're right - life should not be taken for granted. So much to learn and see and do and share.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I don't like how Christians think they can claim that when people are good, they are being "Christian". There are plenty of good people in the world who are that way without even knowing a thing about Jesus

I am going to read this book, on that subject soon, just haven't gotten it yet:

You may like it too.

Jeff

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Richard Dawkins posed the question: if there is a god would god want us to just blindly believe, or would god want us to search for the answers? Since god would know if we were faking our belief it would be pointless to pretend to believe. Too many of us were told that belief was the most important thing.

• Emma
    Emma

Thanks, Jeff. I feel about the same as you though my journey has been a bit bumpier. Thanks, too, for the book recomendation; I'll request it at our library.

Emma

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Jeff,

Very interesting comments, although I don't think involving oneself in something and learning from it is a waste of time. Not having been raised a JW my perspective is different from most. I have always wondered about lifes meaning, about god, human history etc. It takes years to accumulate enough experiences to assess any situation you find yourself in and it takes courage & sacrifice to say "well that wasn't it" and move on.

One thing I feel I have finally learned is none of the religions of the world are the answer. I did my jw time I came in voluntarilly and hopefully and I left with "it's not here" now I pursue whatever I please again not sure where it will lead. I don't know what the answer is but I'll try out most any thought once at least.

searching is good its never a waste of time.

• Ding
    Ding

Just because a con man once convinced us that he had sold us the Brooklyn Bridge, that doesn't necessarily mean that there is no Brooklyn Bridge.

If you want to embrace atheism or agnosticism, of course you're free to do so.

However, if you still have an open mind about God despite the Watchtower's deceptions, I would recommend three books by Lee Strobel, a former atheist who once thought belief in God was lunacy:

The Case for Christ

The Case for Faith

The Case for a Creator

I'd recommend them in that order, but if you don't want to read all that, please pick whichever one sounds most interesting to you and give it a read.

As "Nancy Drew" said in the post above, "Searching is good; it's never a waste of time."

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    However, if you still have an open mind about God despite the Watchtower's deceptions,

Currently my mind is not receptive to such thinking - at this point I assume it never will be again. I am not a closed minded type - but in our limited years, one can only retrace one's steps so often before running out of gas. The scenery is not all that pleasant when running in a circle. Still - thank you for the recs.

Of course as stated, it was not just the seller of the Brooklyn Bridge that I have cursed - it is the seller of all the various forms of man made godliness I have rejected. If God is all about 'faith' - empty acceptance of things we cannot see, feel, touch, smell or hear - then I must quickly sidestep such fantasy in order to focus on reality. Now, if you or anyone else can point to how my senses can actually hone in on the stimuli that convinces me that such things are real in fact - well, OK. But so far, no one has. I would also accept the tooth fairly, Santa and his elves if they actually stimulated my senses to prove their existence. God owes us that much [and it would be so simple with his omniscience and omnipotence to do so]with all the pain he has given out so freely, don't you think? Currently not in much of a mood to go looking for Absentee Father though.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit