New Testament polluted by Greek philosophy? The "Word"=LOGOS

by Terry 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah, that actually is pretty much my point re the lack of equivalency between the English term "God" and Greek theos (and even more, within Johannine theology, which is not the same as what we have in modern Christianity). My discussion was oriented not to the referents but to the semantics of qualitative nouns (which both English and Greek have, among many other languages), and "I am woman" is a pretty good example of a qualitative noun in English that puts the emphasis on the nature of the referent in an analogous way to what we have in Greek. What it means to be woman, or to be God, is an altogether different question.

• Terry
    Terry

My whole point in bringing up the history of Greek thought and its eventual influence was to contrast the idea that whatever you read in the New Testament was pristinely handed down from God's mind to man's hand.

If you think about scripture that way you have to wonder why there is so much of the same ideas, thinking, wording and such on the part of pagans as christians.

The coincidence is hard to swallow.

The entire debate on the Trinity among the Pro vs Con constituency is rife with Greek philsophical ideas, positions, thinking and ethos.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit