Freewill - a paradox

by gravedancer 38 Replies latest jw friends

• cellomould
    cellomould

I see you chose to change your 'motto', hungry4life...
    I like that one better!

In reference to the struggle of God vs. Satan (for which an excellent point was made):

How can they be vying for control over our minds? Where's the freewill there?

But if we each choose by our own freewill whether to 'serve God or Satan', it would be less a battle and more of a coin toss. God calls heads, Satan calls tails. If the coin is weighted or either participant tries in other ways to alter the result in their favor, the result would not be fair.

So my idea of God vs. Satan is simply this:

Natural forces in the universe which compete yet have no personal stake in the outcome (i.e. enthalpy vs. entropy )

cellomould

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• hungry4life
    hungry4life

interesting thought Cello. I have to be honest and say that I must look up enthalpy and entropy in the dictionary before I comment further. Thanks for introducing new words into my vocabulary. By the way that has been my motto for a long time and I don't remember having another one . but hey I have a terrible memory what was my old one?

• cellomould
    cellomould

Maybe I just read incorrectly...
    thought it said 'I believe in life after death'

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

OK

So since we all agree (yeah right!!!!!...lol) let’s start exploring the consequences of one of the assumptions being incorrect.

How about we start off and assume that God IS almighty and Adam did NOT have freewill.

Think about it and let’s postulate the consequences and issues associated with this.

I will chime in with my own as we go. Please try and keep to the subject if possible please. Would it be better to start a thread for each of the 3 possibilities and link back to this original thread? I am game but don't want to start new threads if we aren't going to have many possibilities.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

gravedancer ---

You're invitation is welcome, as this whole area of thought is something that I've pondered for at least half a century. I remember as a child (I'm 61 now) wondering how on earth Satan could think that he could get away with rebelling against an all powerful God. Was he suicidal?

I must be honest though in saying that my own thoughts run very similar to that of DakotaRed. I hope that you are like I am in that I don't wish to discuss this so much with those who agree with me as I do with those who don't. The reason is that when two (or more) earnest individuals disagree and then forget themselves in trying to find what the truth actually is, much can be learned. Those who disagree with me will pose the questions that I need to answer, and usually those answers will fall somewhere in the middle between our positions.

That said, I'd like to back up a bit and point out a something that figures very heavily upon the outcome of such a discussion as you propose. As you undoubtedly know, in mathematics if just one factor is left out, the answer will almost always be wrong, and sometimes so badly so that it will have no similarity at all to the real one.

This factor is well expressed in D Wiltshire's motto: "If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?"

I would suggest that what we don't know is a heck of a lot bigger than what we do know. If we don't factor that in, our results are going to be skewed. After all, we as humans are trying to figure out what both Jehovah's and Satan's thoughts and strategies are.

And please do not misconstrue my words as saying that it is wrong or futile for us to try, for I believe exactly the opposite.

Let me illustrate: Benjamin Franklin knew that 1+1=2. If we lived then and didn't agree with that, he would probably have called the little men in white suits and had stuck us in the cackle factory for a spell.

Since that time additional knowledge has become available. Let me quote from a post I made a few months ago:

What if we are dealing in the binary base where the only numbers used are “0” and “1”? Then it isn’t 2, it’s 10. At one time, such a concept would have been considered a silly mind game, but now that principle is the very heart of the computer world. They wouldn’t work without it. Who would have believed a century ago that the binary base would come to have such importance in the world now?

Or what if we are in the world of biology? There 1+1 can equal 2, or 200, or 2,000, or 2,000,000. It all depends upon how long the 1 has been with the other 1. Look at the rabbits in Australia and all of the environmental damage they’ve caused.
    A further quote from the same post illustrates our position as humans:

. . . picture two of the most intelligent men of their age, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson, trying to understand and fix one of today's computers when it was broken down.

When we look into the past and compare our knowledge now with what they had then, we appear to be light years ahead of them. That makes us feel good and flatters our egos. But in the process we tend to forget that there is far more yet to learn; many more “leaves” to discover on our “truths”.

We could say that we are like a sand flea on the beach in Alaska. Every evening at dusk they migrate down to the water line and every dawn go right back up to the vegetation line to sleep during the day. All we are is like the one who decided to go a little farther, climbed the 15 foot bank above the shore and looked out at the magnificent view that no other sand flea in history ever saw.

He would be quite proud of himself, wouldn't he? He may even wish to lord it over his fellows and claim to have all knowledge. But what he doesn't realize is that a few miles further inland, there is a mountain that goes up another 20,305 feet. That rather dwarfs his measly 15 feet, doesn't it? How are we any different?

(If you would like to read the rest of the post, here's the address): http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=16624&site=3

Notice the difference in the manner we will approach these things:

If we refuse to recognize anything unless its parameters fall within those things we know and understand, then we will tend to draw conclusions and pass judgements on them.

If we recognize the factor of the unknown, we tend to concentrate on gaining additional knowledge.

Now look at what this one additional factor does to the questions you pose. Instead of only two, there are now at least four. They are:

1. God is almighty (And Adam didn’t have freewill.)

2. God gave Adam freewill (But God is not almighty.)

3. Both 1 and 2 are true (But we have yet to understand the mechanics of how the two coexist.)

4. Both 1 and 2 are false (As our understanding of them is inadequate and/or mistaken.)

Occam’s razor has its points. It’s a fancy way of restating the common acronym K.I.S.S., “Keep it simple, stupid! After all, if the taillight goes out, don’t start rewiring the car. You may have to, yes, but it’s much more likely that the bulb’s burned out.

We must remember that it is simply a tool like any other tool. It can be used correctly or incorrectly. One does not use a screwdriver to drive nails, nor use a hammer to drive screws. (Though I’ve known a few nuts that did. )

Many times it is useful, but in some problems and most research it does more harm than good for it limits the imagination as well as hinders the recognition of the complexities involved.

This said, I’d like your input on something. I’ve done a considerable amount of research and pondering on this whole matter and have come up with a few answers for some of the questions contained on this thread. You will note that I did not say they were the answers. They are merely possible answers that are still incomplete and in desperate need of a great deal more work and input. I would deeply appreciate your input and that of any others who wish to contribute.

I’m posting it under the heading “The Problem of Evil” in three episodes: “The Dilemma”, “The Plot”, and “The Answer”. As a bare minimum I think it will give you something to think about.

Hope you like them.

LoneWolf

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Hi Lonewolf,

Yes, you have raised a different possibility - namely that our present understanding is just incapable of comprehending this issue to its fullest (even if we think it can).

That being said...where do we go?

I see the following possibilities:
    1. Throw our hands up and say "we just cant comprehend it" and give up
    2. Throw our hands up and say "we just cant comprehend it" and believe blindly in some flavor (because there are so many) of Christianity
    3. Introduce other variables to clarify the issue?

Most people opt for option 2. My comeback on that is: then why Christianity? Why not some other religion of mystic practice? Blind faith is definitely not something I am willing to invest time in. If we say something is a mystery (and that something is core to our doctrinal beliefs) that’s blind faith no matter which way you slice it.

As far as option 1, if God is so obtuse.....and if we cannot even figure out an issue such as freewill, because we simply don't know or comprehend enough, then how do we know enough or comprehend enough to worship him/her/it/?? acceptably? Isn't it just blind faith again??? So isn't option 1 a reasonable option?

As far as option 3, which factor can you think of that will remove the contradiction? My puny brain is not capable of doing so. Either i have not evolved far enough up the food chain or I am a mutated moron of God's creation.

While my post may seem brash or sarcastic - its really not intended as such. I am frustrated because I have the debate with someone in person for hours on end last night and they just simply could not see the contradiction.

• cellomould
    cellomould

Gravedancer,

Point out to people who will argue with you that 'freewill' is simply a crutch.

It itself is a phrase absent from the bible, or at least not present in the same context.

It has been used excessively by christians to cover up inconsistencies and logical errors.

So everytime someone goes to use that word, stop them! That is exactly when they are attempting to gloss over a major fallacy in their reasoning.

When you need to add concepts into the reading of the bible in order to explain it, something is wrong.

cellomould

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Hi, gravedancer,

I wholeheartedly agree with your analysis of options 1 and 2. Let me add a little to both:

1. While I have no doubt that Jehovah will give credit to those in the past like Moses and Job, that have served him to the best of their knowledge and ability, I get the feeling that the reason that their faithfulness was insufficent to answer the question that Satan posed, is that they didn't have sufficient understanding of the question itself, and especially the conditions under which it was posed. Therefore, the question has yet to be answered properly.

To me, it is totally unreasonable to think that Jehovah would judge us for not living up to a perfection that we cannot understand. In that regard, I feel that organized religion as a whole have only spread knowledge about God to the extent that God has forced them to, much like he did Balaam. However, on the whole, religion has been used by Satan to obfuscate knowledge far more than they have spread it.

Yes, I include the WTBTS in that catagory.

Therefore, the mind control that has been practiced almost universally over the eons was there for that purpose: obfuscation. Remove that control and inquiring minds WILL come to know, even as those passages in scripture concerning the light getting brighter and brighter would suggest.

2. Absolutely not. Blind faith is the same thing as gullibility. Again we get back to the obfuscation business. If the organized religions are hindering knowledge, (remember how Jesus condemned the religious leaders for refusing to enter the kingdom and hindering others from going in too?) then all we are doing is lying down and going to sleep after the Titanic hit the iceburg. We will go down without a struggle.

I feel that the first thing we need to do is to realize that nearly all of the things that religion has taught us about Jehovah and his purposes is suspect, and that the majority is not accurate and is meant to distract and mislead us from finding out what we need to know.

That is the first factor in removing our mental blocks. There's nothing wrong with your brain and you're definately "far enough up the food chain" and not some "mutated moron". (Had to chuckle at that.) We have simply all been brainwashed into feeling that that which we need to do is wrong. It takes a while to rid oneself of that programming.

I think we could say that all your brain needs is to be shown that there is another line of inquiry that hasn't been pursued.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I've been working on this question for over 50 years now. It wasn't until about ten years ago that I started making some progress. ("Keep knocking and it will be given?") However, I'll flat guarantee you that progress didn't come from a vision or revelation. I'm not special nor do I count myself so. I'm no smarter than you nor anyone else. It came from two sources: careful research and logic.

And I don't claim that my answers are the right ones. I think they may be closer than we've gotten before, but there is still a long ways to go. I'm hoping you will look them over and enjoy exploring into an area where few have gone as I do .

You've probably already read the first part, The Question of Evil --- The Dilemma. That's little more than a setting of the stage, so to speak. See what you can find in part 2, The Plot. That where the meat of it starts.

I do not read brashness nor sarcasm in your posts. I counted it as frustration even before you said it. Believe me, I understand that well!

LoneWolf

• ladonna
    ladonna

Grave,

Excellent post subject!

I am of the mind where the theory of Adam/God?eve...ect, is all a case of mythology.
    In presuming the bible to be a literal occurence I have to concede that Adam did not have free will.
    I have always questioned this point in the bible myself, and have bashed my head against a wall trying to come up with any satisfying answers.

The theory that God then went on to have an almighty battle with Satan leads me to question Gods "Love".
    What type of parent punishes all his children for the wrongs of only one???? Would it be loving of us as parents to do this???

While on the subject of Adam and Eve, whom did Cain marry??

Ana

Manners require time, and nothing is more vulgar than haste.
    —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit