Excuses, Excuses, Excuses.......................About Jehovah

by Crisis of Conscience 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

I've had some people in the congregation lately try to give me pep talks to encourage me not to give up.

When I mention (not to everyone of course) some of the things that bother me about the org, many times they can't come up with a legitimate answer so they make up an excuse.

For example, I mention the double standards that I saw at Bethel as well as the lack of love in certain brothers. I get a blank stare and then an, "Oh, that's because Jehovah allows imperfect in the org. But he'll clear things up when it's time."

Another example - why would Jehovah allow someone to perhaps be wrongfully disfellowshipped (a real conversation I've had)? The answer, "We don't know. But one thing is certain, Jehovah wants proven purity in the congregation. And he wouldn't let the person go through that if they couldn't handle it." Huh, really? So he prefers to let someone suffer and loose everything, IN A DECISION MADE IN ERROR, because he wants purity?

KNOCK IT OFF!! Stop with the friggin' excuses already! If Jehovah is so wonderful, powerful, and almighty, why do people constantly feel the need to try to justify why they THINK he did or allowed something?! Can they read his mind? NO, so stop it already!! I am really sick of hearing them. STOP making excuses as to why God does/did something. There is no absolute explanation which means it's speculation.

I'm not attacking anyone here, although I know it does happen. I just have been hearing it too much from people in the congregation I attend as well as other "friends".

CoC

• cult classic
    cult classic

CoC - I think most "religious" people are full of excuses for inconsistencies in their belief system. They always have to resort to what they think, feel, believe and "personally" experience. The reason for this is because there is no proof for most of what they teach and believe.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so prone to condemn those who call them on the carpet for what they preach.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

I agree cult classic . And I respectfully will listen to an opinion/explanation.

But when the response is, "Uh, umm, well, (quick! think of something!).............", it's just really bothersome.

And an excuse generally follows.

CoC

• cult classic
    cult classic

Yeah you're right. I just wish the witnesses would stop feeling the need to stand up for WT and its wacky teachings. They take too much of a personal stake in Watchtower's image. Of course because they've been told they are representing Jehovah, the stakes are so high for them giving the right answer. Sometimes the answer is simply "It's B.S. that's what's wrong with the teaching."

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Exactly! At times I've seen the headshakes just before they answer. The one that says, "I don't know but I wish I had an answer."

But what comes out........an excuse! What a surprise! But I strive not to disrespect anyone for that for I too thought that way once. It just makes me think that I sounded completely ridiculous in replying that way also.

CoC

• Essan
    Essan

They have a core belief and they are defending it by making excuses. They will continue to defend it and make endless excuses until that core belief is destroyed.

Usually the core belief is "This is God's Organization" (therefore every thing else is excused). This belief can be destroyed fairly easily because it has no foundation and rests on some claims which are easily disproven. But sometimes the core belief is simply "My choice was right and I'll never admit otherwise". In which case, there is nothing can be done until they pull their head out of their ***.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Of course if you are to apply that same rational to the RCC for example, they would say "That's different, WE are God true organization".

Typical thinking of people that like to point out the speck in another person's eye and don't see the beam in theirs.

• zoiks
    zoiks

A key mistake they make is in assuming that "Jehovah" is doing anything. They have equated their man-made organization and the people in it with "Jehovah", so anything that happens must be His will, no matter how little sense it makes.

It requires some amazing mental gymnastics.

• bez
    bez

crisis of concience...i am in a similar position to you at moment and recently, people have been trying to convince me its the 'truth'!

When simply making the point that the fundamental teaching Jesus said would mark true followers of him, that of having love amoungst themselves is completely flawed when you see brother bob taking a massive stance against brother brown for not being as spritually strong as him, the only answer i get is, its just the way it goes.... Jehovah will sort out these individuals eventually..... I wonder why it takes soooo long tho for certain things to come out...why is it left to go on and on and on before Jehovah steps in to sort it out?

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

JW answer to the question from bez I wonder why it takes soooo long tho for certain things to come out...why is it left to go on and on and on before Jehovah steps in to sort it out?

"Uh, umm, eh,.........................To prove Jehovah's sovereignty!!"

CoC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit