'Do not forsake the gathering of yourselves together...'

by bez 22 Replies latest jw friends

• bez
    bez

Just wondering what some of your opinions are on this scripture??? Its one that has been thrown at me time and time again when i talk of my decision to leave the 'organization of God'. As i would not be gathering together with his people and therefore forsaking the gathering of myself together..... (if ya get me!).. Many have stated its one of the fundamental reasons its Gods organization as we gather together to insturct, build up etc...

My answer was that firstly when i go to a meeting and do not feel encouraged by many of the hypocrites there, what is the good in that... and i have also said i believe that this verse is almost llike a proverb... and therefore like a principle... dont be a recluse cus its is bad for your mental health..... ???

Any other thoughts????

• bez
    bez

??? obviously not?

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

The race that we run is in the opposite direction to the worlds. We must support and encourage one another through mutual witness (quote not mine)!

Surely, whatever the Christian faith you attach yourself to; you have to take this to mean that you need to spend time with like minded people, those on the same spiritual journey. The New Jerusalem bible renders the verse “do not stay away from the meetings”.

Some would say that being on this forum is in fact gathering together!

• cult classic
    cult classic

Hey Bez. yeah that scripture is played out. To forsake means to give up entirely. So my reasoning has been that as long as you get with other christians at some point you're not forsaking. Also, Jesus said "where two or more are gathered in my name, there my spirit is." So no need for a big group of people to gather for worship in the first place.

The scripture goes on to say "all the more so as you behold the day drawing near." Opens up another issue about when this scripture is to be applied. Ask your mom if that scripture is to be taken literally, why has WT cancelled the bookstudy? Shouldn't they be adding meetings?

Of course it's only important if you believe the bible is inspired, which I don't.

edited: I don't know where I got the info that you were needing a response to your mother...LOL disregard that part of my comment.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

This was Paul's way of telling people that, even though life can get busy and complicated and even, in their case, persecuted, that they shoudl try to gather together as much as they could to "strengthen" themselves in their faith.

Of course this was aimed at the home churchs/assemblies that Paul had set up or that were already in existence when he got there.

Whether it was 10 people or 20 or 5 or 2, as Jesus said, wherever two or more gather, I am there ( this is of course NOT to say that he is NOT there when we are alone, just to show that the number of people in a group was irrelevant).

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Funny, the Governing Body completely cracked down on the "gathering of yourselves together" in the form of congregation picnics, parties, etc in the early 1980's. Somehow, this scripture pertains to Kingdom Hall MEETINGS, ONLY!!!

It's simple really, the WTBTS makes the scriptures say whatever they WANT them to say at the time. For instance, Jesus said there was only ONE mediator between mankind and God, Him (Jesus). However, the Governing Body claim Jesus was speaking about only the 144,000 annointed, and that THEY the Governing Body are the Mediator between mankind and Jesus!!!! Now that's some crazy shit right there. Jesus' words are easy to understand, but the Governing Body claims only THEY can interpret the Bible correctly, which translates to however in the hell they feel like it at the time.

- Wing Commander

• wasblind
    wasblind

When a person who is not in good standing with the cong, continues to attend the meetings they are in harmony with the scripture Hebrews 10:25 "not forsaking the gathering of ourselves"

When the congregation avoid and treats this person as an outcast, they are not in harmony with Hebrews 10: 24, " And let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works."

The person not in good standing is not considered or shown love, they are completely ignored, they have already been judged not by God, but by men.

By their works this is truly not God's Organization,

• cult classic
    cult classic

Good point wasblind.

• donuthole
    donuthole

If I could add to some of the thoughts already expressed --

It isn't just the Watchtower that uses that set of verses in such a manner. It is a favorite of pastors used to tell people of the need to regularly "go to church".

There is a specific purpose for gathering together and the writer of Hebrews tells us it is to "spur one another to love and fine works" (v24) and to provide mutal encouragement. (v25)

Unfortunately the atmosphere at the local Kingdom Hall is typically not marked by the love that Jesus displayed and requires of those who claim to follow him. The Witnesses boast that they show "Christian love" by not going across the ocean to war and killing their brothers. How tragic that they invalidate such a stand by not showing love to the person across the isle, even harboring hatred! The elderly among them readily will testify of the chronic lack of love that permeates the Organization and grows colder day to day.

Further those verses do not say when and how often and in what manner ones should gather together. For many years there were meetings at the Kingdom Hall on three seperate days. If a person only attended two of those days - it would be said that they weren't following this counsel. What now? Today, there are only meetings on two days, and that same person in now in full compliance! Early Christian meetings were real interchanges marked by love and mutual encouragement. It wasn't sitting in a chair or on a pew and staring at the back of someone's head for an hour or two before rushing out to the nearest lunch buffet. Some Christians find much more love and encouragement meeting together with two or three for coffee than "going to church" or the Kingdom Hall.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Hi Bez, i agree. Due to the hypoctitical state of every congo, surely it has to be a proverb, the fact we all need association of some sort to prevent us going crazy...... Hmmm. maybe its a fullfilment of prophecy based upon the next generation of yong ones who will grow up not knowing how to interact one on one due to social website networks! Cheers, Mattieu (not 1 on1.....)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit