Do People in Cults Really Want Freedom?

by Dogpatch 16 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

DOGPATCH- Good thread Randy. I agree that until the time comes when a cult member, or witness experiences injustices or oppression from authority figures or others on the inside - a person generally will be satisfied with the status quo of the WT society or leaders doing their thinking for them , and they won't be thinking about freedom until injustices happen to them.

That being said as Steve Hassan mentioned in his books - deep within the human spirit wants and desires to be free. I feel the authentic non-cult personality feels that way but is buried or hidden, masked as it were behind the cult personality - which wants to be dominated and told what to do or how to live. When after some time that cult personality gets jolted by life's traumatic events, deaths, injuries, accidents, injustices, hardships- many times THOSE events can serve as a catalyst for a person being primed for a change. As you advised - I do stay attentive to my JW relatives still on the inside who may be open to change if they experience life's adversities. Like you state - we just have to be alert to assisting them in those times

• moshe
    moshe

I believe we have a hard-wired need to belong to a tribe and some of us really need the perceived safety of a group. Belonging to a KH satisfies that need for those who have the greatest need of a tribal experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belongingness

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Freedom? That would mean they had to face the real root of why they found the cult attractive.

• ziddina
    ziddina

What Moshe said...

That's why group disapproval is so powerful a tool, useful for controlling people...

For hundreds of thousands of years, expulsion from the 'tribe' meant death...

And also as Moshe said, that is probably hard-wired into our psyche...

Zid

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Excellent points here. I was just talking about this to a friend this evening who is now out of the org.

I think too, cults appeal to people who are already outsiders in their daily life, ones who may not fit into mainstream. Even though, I was raised a Witness, I never was popular in school or anywhere and always felt like a misfit. But, at the hall and in other congregation I managed to make friends. And felt I really belonged to something. So, it's also hard to leave that security and start over and feel like a misfit again in the big,bad, world.

Plus, it's easier to take the path of least resistance. When I woke up about the "truth", it's hard to make waves and just leave. Something I need to come to terms with and work on.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

They only want their freedom...........10 mins before the KOOLAID is passed out

• moshe
    moshe

I know how to empty out 50% of the seats in the KH- how? Just tell the brothers and sisters they have to start tithing. I have a feeling the KH is populated with a lot of faders who just need an good excuse to leave and they aren't into paying $$$ to be pretend JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit