Is this workplace harassment?

by babygirl30 12 Replies latest jw friends

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

I work in PA at a Fortune 500 Co. The manager I currently have is lazy, has no backbone, and is completely incompetent! This is not just MY personal opinion either - it is a running 'joke' amongst the entire dept of this man's managerial skills (or lack thereof). So much so that even the other managers will make comments about my manager inability to properly perform his job...so this is what I'm dealing with.

Being a very straightforward person, I find that being upfront about issues/situations seems to make things easier. This manager has a habit of being WAY too familiar with me...and I have told him numerous times that I'm 'not the one' to even GO othere with. Nothing sexual or anything, just very touchy and makes remarks trying to be funny...when they're not. Anyhow, since that conversation, I feel he has singled me out (from the team) as a target: very critical of my sales presentations (even though I hit my daily goal), he repeatedly ignores the fact that I stay late everyday and do NOT count the extra time - yet he will question my dedication, he 'inadvertently' misfiled my short term disability paperwork months ago when I was out for surgery - causing my pay to be miscalculated and forcing me to PAYBACK large amounts out of my checks to correct HIS error, he misrepresented the commission scale upon my return - which led to my NOT getting the appropriate credit for my sales, and despite my requesting a vac day (over 5 days in advance - co policy), he will give me a hard time about and try to persuade me NOT to take it or else he will deny it...yet others he will give that same day off to.

Recently, I was sick and informed my manager (through email) I would not be in. He called me back to confirm my notice, and proceeding to ask me: what was wrong with me...what pain I had...did I have pain or swelling...was I taking pain meds...did I go to the dr? I told him I felt THAT was personal, and that I was going back to rest, then hung up. The next day I still was sick, so I called my mgr to tell him I would not be in one more day. He then prodded me about whether or not I could come in for at least 1/2 day to 'help out the team'? I told him I would consider, but not likely. That afternoon (12:24 according to my cell) I get a phone call - but I was half alseep, so I ignored it. About 5 mins later (12:29) I get another call - I ignored that one too. Now 10 mins after that (12:39) my phone goes off AGAIN - and it's my manager!! So I get up and answer, and he says to me: "The prof world is small, and rumor has it that you have another job/ I have 2 reliable sources who told me that you do. Is that true?" To which I responded NO. He continues, "Well, I need to know because I want to have a strong dedicated sales team with me - knowing everyone is 100% on board! If you don' thave a job, are you actively searching for one?" By now I was offended and told him that this was inappropriate and VERY unprofessional on his part - besides, I was off work and SICK! If he wanted to speak to me, he could wait until I returned to the office...otherwise, he had no right interrogating me this way at this time!! Mind you, all calls are recorded AND he placed all 4 calls from a company phone. I told him I was going, and hung up. This man called BACK a 4th time (12:55) and this time, my boyfriend answered and basically told my mgr that this was officially 'harassment and against ANY company Code of Conduct'. After calming down, I filed a formal complaint with HR and so they are scheduling an investgation/mtg today at 4:30i.

What should I expect? Should I get my phone records? Do I need any documentation from my boyfriend as a 'witness' (even though that call was taped)? I want to make sure I'm NOT making a mountain out of a molehill here...am I?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would tell them that his repeated calling is probably going to make you sick even longer, which it could well do. And you could well be out another week, on account of these persistent calls--and, the longer the harassment continues, the longer you will be out sick. Then, if you can reach the big boss, repeat the same message--you are sick, called in, and this dingbat "manager(??)" is trying to call you back in every 5 minutes, making you even sicker.

I don't know why they even hire such idiots in the first place.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Has he ever heard of the HIPPA act? He is way out of line and for someone who is a reliable and hard worker he needs to back down.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I don't knwo the labour laws in the US, but here it is wuite simple, if an employee calls in sick, they are sick and the most a boss can do is ask if there is anything the company can do for the employee.

It the employee is sick for more than one day or is sick on a regualr basis, the boss is allowed to ask for a "sick note" from the person's doctor.

Beyond that the boss MUSt have some hard evidence of "wrongness".

• snowbird
    snowbird

It is harassment.

Kudos to you for taking it to the next level.

Syl

• cult classic
    cult classic

definitely harrassment.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Me personally as a man, I'd check him. Every now and then you have to put the fear of God into somebody who's way out of pocket. Few things are as hilarious as the look on a coworkers or supervisor's face after discreetly threatning to dump their body where nobody can smell it. The proffesional side of me however is thinking, that if I were in your shoes, being that you're working for a Fortune 500 company, I'd go to HR. Never underestimate the power of HR, especially at major companies that don't like bad publicity. Plus going to HR, they'll put him on notice that they're watching the happenings between the two of you. Supervisors are under enough scrutiny and pressure dealing with whomever they have to answer to. Adding the HR element to things will make him reconsider how he's dealing with you.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

As a black woman...I DARE anyone to 'single' ME out the WRONG way! LOL!!! Shoot.

Now if I'm not doing my job, taking off all the time, not performing up to company standards, and/or am flat out disrespectful - then FINE! But I refuse to have anyone come at me like THAT...as if he's my daddy or something. HELL no. My only concern is that he will retaliate - mess up my commission, write me up for something menial, etc. THAT is something I have to think about, I'm sure. Guessing that this manager's job is on the LINE as there have been numerous complaints about him (on record) and he is acting very DESPERATE these days...

• nelly136
    nelly136

if they are doing an investigation make sure they have it on record about him messing up your paperwork that cost you money while you were off sick and that your commission paperwork etc has been messed up. theres a pattern there and if hes managed to get everyone elses right apart from yours it would give an indication somethings not quite the tcket.

if hes messing other peoples up as well he is obviously inept at the least.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Yes, this is harrassment. Keep your records. Can't wait to hear the outcome of the investigation. I have a feeling that he's going to be fired.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit