"Hell is the Invention of the Church"

by leavingwt 62 Replies latest jw friends

• whereami
    whereami

Wait a minute. A preist talking the truth? I just witnessed a miracle!!!!

• designs
    designs

Dogpatch-

It actually says 'man' they were more advanced than is generally known, especially in western Christian circles, who think they know Judaism from the Pauline writings

You know in the 20 years I have been inviting 'Evangelicals' to go to a Synagogue or just become friends with a Rabbi to talk over things I can't think of one who has accepted. The lads at evangelicals-and-jws almost gaged on the notion vis a vie Luther and Calvin. No wonder their views of Jews and Jewish progressive philosophy are so skewed.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Randy:

Too simplistic. Spong is way too sloppy with the Bible and history.

Please be more specific. Is Spong correct, when he says that Hell (as believed by the Pharisees) does not exist?

• bigboy911
    bigboy911

Church invents lots of things out of thin air like the drag queen dresses and robes they wear for "easy access".

• leavingwt
  • I quit!
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Based on his philosophy of humans "growing up" I wonder if he watched "Babylon 5"...

One of the best series, ever.

The notion of Hell is one that existed before Christians and it "progressed" in the Hebrew theology from just a "state" of Death to a "place" where the body "awaits" the ressurection, to a palce of "eventual" punishment to, in some christian denominations, a place of immediate punishment upon death.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

We need to remember that it is NOt about what WE think hell to be or not be, but what those that wrote the NT thought it was at the time of writing.

• tec
    tec

I can't watch the video yet, so I won't comment on it until later.

But a place of burning, eternal place of individual torment does not serve any purpose, nor does it mesh with a loving God.

I'll get back here later when I can watch.

Tammy

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Tammy -- God sets the rules. If he says that burning forever is 'just' and 'loving', then it is. Right? Deputy? Anyone?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit