Facebook is a menace to the fading JW! (and society in general)

by slimboyfat 17 Replies latest jw friends

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

My brother, an elder, Ill call him jackass, viewed my FB page and noticed something posted anti JW. He told me parents. That started a whole huge ball of bs.All cuz FB private settings were messed up.....

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

My brother, an elder, Ill call him jackass, viewed my FB page and noticed something posted anti JW. He told me parents. That started a whole huge ball of bs.All cuz FB private settings were messed up.....

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    slimboyfat, to partly solve your immediate problem, though not the greater issues, you can "untag" yourself in your sister's post, in order not to draw attention to it on your own page.

I wish I knew about this a couple of days ago! Before I do it however, does my sister get an altert that I have done this? Or would she only notice if she looked at my wall. (It is almost off the first page anyway)

H2H with your sister maybe?

Maybe sometime. But why should I have to discuss religion with my sister?

Zuckerberg is right - applies to the 99.5% of the populace that haven't got high control group residue staining their persona...

I think there are pleny of people who have nothing to do with the Watchtower who have issues with facebook's single identity philosophy. As I said, it promotes a false sense of transparency since authentic interaction with others does not involve being the same to everyone. Check out this abstract for an essay in a forthcoming book on Facebook and Philosophy:

http://www.amazon.com/Facebook-Philosophy-Whats-Popular-Culture/dp/0812696751/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282727334&sr=1-1

This paper addresses whether interaction with others on Facebook promotes or impedes

the discovery of an authentic sense of self-identity. Perhaps more than other modes of

communication, online social networking encourages defining oneself in relationship to

(and before) others, and a variety of others at that. Most Facebook users have "friends"

that extend across social and geographic boundaries. For many adult users, these boundaries

may even be temporal, as people from one part of an individual’s past are allowed to

mix with people from another. In “real” time and “real” life, we interact with these constituencies

differently, playing different roles with different people. But on Facebook all

of this changes, since here these lines of compartmentalization are blurred. Traditional

(Enlightenment) conceptions and some postmodern conceptions of privacy and selfidentity

find fault with this fact. But we wonder otherwise. Does the opportunity for selfdisclosure

in Facebook put us more in touch with ourselves, as we struggle between a

representation of self that is something we ourselves can accept and that others will also

accept? Is it possible that the opportunity for constructing a public self-portrait in front of

multiple constituencies carries with it the necessity of accountability? And might authentic

self-identity be established in the interactivity between persons and less so in any finished

self-representation? To address these questions, we will react against the growing

literature that is concerned with questions of honesty, the destruction of privacy, and the

lack of accountability in computer-meditated relationships to argue that these analyses

really miss the boat, not because they are flat out false, but because they fail to understand

what is happening to us as individuals as a result of the interactivity of this new

media environment.

In the immortal words of that great modern day philosopher George Costanza: you've got to keep your worlds apart!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPG3YMcSvzo

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I first went on Facebook in college in about 2005 or 2006. Back then, it was simple, less commercialized, and the only people on it were college students, so there was no risk of saying something your mom would hear. Anyway, I got a few dozen friends that were mostly just my classmates, but then I lost interest and de-activated my account. Then about a year later I went back and stayed a year or two until it exploded and now everyone and their godmother is on it. So finally I figured out how to actually DELETE my account (not just deactivate; go here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=16929680703), and I haven't been back since. And no, I don't miss it.

The thing I hate about it is hearing so much crap from my friend's friends, and then being tempted into interacting with them on my friend's pages. Made me realize how many idiots my friend's have for friends. Then again, others were probably wondering the same thing about me.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Just like any form of communication, it is all about how you use it.

Telephones aren't bad in themselves - but telemarketers are not fun to deal with. Newspapers aren't bad in themselves, but bad editors make them one-sided. Letters are a fine method of communication - but there is junk mail too.

I use facebook. I check it daily. I have found and reconnected with several people across the country that I used to know. I have many xjw friends on my account - but not exclusively. Most Jw's will not like anything to do with freethinking people - and there are likely to be some of them on your FB account.

If all we want in mind-numbed, single minded, don't express anything that might upset anyone else friendships - well then FB is not the place to be. I know a place where you can get that......

Jeff

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

slimboy......

I wish I knew about this a couple of days ago! Before I do it however, does my sister get an altert that I have done this? Or would she only notice if she looked at my wall. (It is almost off the first page anyway)

No, your sister doesn't get an alert. The only way she would realize is if she were to try to re-tag you on her Facebook. Then the message would be something like "This user has un-tagged themselves so you can't re-tag them."

You can also delete it off your Wall. Hover over it on your Wall until the Remove thing appears on the right, and click to delete it from your Wall.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

AK - Jeff, I completely agree with you......

Just like any form of communication, it is all about how you use it.

I would go crazy trying to handle multiple accounts. You can however distribute your "friends" into different lists, and when you post something there is an option to choose which lists can see your post.

• Violia
    Violia

yes put your friends in different lists and /or on limited profile. The only problem I have noted with limited profile is, while they can see on your posts on your wall, they can see anyone's elses who posts on your wall. Or maybe I do not know how to adjust this feauture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit