The meaning of Jesus' death, without Paul

by Doug Mason 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I suggest that the idea of Christ’s death being substitutionary is overwhelmingly Paul’s idea.

At 1 Peter 1:18-22, we see that Peter wrote:
    ---------
    “For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.

“He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.
    Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

“Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.”
    ---------

I believe that we are seeing a chasm between Paul and Peter.

In these verses, Peter says that the precious blood of Christ redeemed the people from their inherited empty way of life. Peter is not saying that the blood redeemed them from sin.

In view of this, Peter writes that the people were purified through obedience, and that this is what results in a loving heart towards their brothers.

Peter is works-oriented, a Jewish Christian; Paul is philosophical, a Gentile Christian.

Am I reading this correctly?

Doug

• freydo
    freydo

I believe Peter is speaking of being obedient to Messiah's Scriptural fulfilment and teaching rather than mangled wtbt$$-like traditions.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Peter and Paul had there arguments, that is a given.

Peter wasn't that inclinded to give the gentiles the same Gospel, for which Paul reamed him AND Jesus sent him a vision to make him understand his erros.

But as for the meaning of Jesus's death, they were both on the same page: Salvation for all that Believe Jesus to be the Christ and salavtion in Jesus's name.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

PS,

Then where have I misunderstood the words at 1 Peter 1:18-22 ? (Top of this page, post 1016)

Doug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit