Let's Just Be AWARE

by Flowerpetal 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Hello friends!

I've been a member here for quite a while even though I haven't posted much the past few years. I faded from JWs starting in 2005 and it was the best decision I ever made.

I feel like I have grown spiritually because I'm no longer locked into a certain way of thinking as the society would have us do, being fearful of listening to other religious beliefs because they are a part of christendom and worst of all, because if one did while in the org. they would be labeled as a apostate. Now that I'm out, I feel so much more free to explore what other faiths teach and believe. And I have learned a lot, saw different perspectives on basic Bible teachings, and realize the truth is something which one should be constantly seeking....it could be a lifelong journey for some of us. It certainly is in my case. I'm also on a quest for secular knowledge.

I just want to encourage all, in whatever path they are on or seeking, to just be aware and alert of what is going on around us--people seem to be walking around in a fog these days and I think it's up to us who come here and are willing to discuss things that might be fun, serious and/or uncomfortable, to continue to discuss. Be discerning to what so many Christian beliefs teach. Some may true; some may be false. My opinion is there are some things that we won't know for sure until they are upon us--for EXAMPLE: who/what is the "antichrist." Will it be a person, or an organization? When will he/she/it appear? Either way, we need to be able to recognize when it happens.

I find a few Christian pastors talk a lot about the books of Daniel and Revelation. Other pastors say the flock shouldn't try to understand them. They probably say that because they don't understand them themselves. But, I truly believe these two books of the Bible are most important to try to understand what is happening now.

Secularly, besides several books I have read, The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle blew me away. WOW! I had to pause after reading a few sentences throughout the entire book, and it's a small book but so profound; you have to let everything soak in. Many of you might say it's a "new age" book; maybe it is but I don't care. I'm after knowledge that resonates with me.

Other books which are on my list that I'm finding out are e-books are: It's Not About the Bike by Lance Armstrong and Business at the Speed of Thought by Bill Gates.

I don't mean to sound like I'm giving a book report (LOL) but just want to encourage you all to "keep on keeping on"; watch, look, listen, digest and decide what you want to be a part of who you are, and discard the rest.

• cult classic
    cult classic

flowerpeta

Thank you for such a positive and upbeat letter. It's good to read something so encouraging first thing in the morning. Gonna check out your recommended books when I get a chance.

Cult Classic

• jgnat
    jgnat

There's the realm of ideas and then there's life. I have a rich internal life, engaging enough that at times I prefer the company of my ideas over the company of people. I've learned, though, that retreat from life makes me less. What has balanced me is art, painting from life and absorbing myself in what is right in front of me. I get a similar feeling when I am practicing sign language. A fluent ASL speaker's hands fly as fast as thought. Watch, be alert, or you miss it.

It's amazing how much we miss when we don't look.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i would rather be AWARE than AWAKE!!!

chickpea of the "living this one sure life" class

• chickpea

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit