Being in a cult - what good did it do?

by Garrett 45 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    The best thing about being a member of this cult was leaving and not being a member anymore. I wouldn't wish this cult on my worst enemy. In the imortal words of MLK junior, "Free at last, free at last, thank god almighty I am free at last!"
  • NVR2L8
    NVR2L8
    I used to think I would've turned out bad if I didn't know the "truth"...but that's what I was lead to believe as part of the indoctrination. Now that I am out I am asking myself how much more successful I could have been if not for the cult. I would have been more educated and possibly a professional or business man like some of my classmates. (one being a world class chess player and another a news anchor for a national network). I still did well without a formal education but I'll never know how much better I could have done....
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I'll always wonder that too. I'm thinking, tho, that I would have still had kids, since I've been obsessed with babies all my life. Would have been nice to have been told to do my best in school tho, and that my parents supported me in my education. That doesn't matter so much when the world is ending, AND you are female and can't get anywhere in the org anyway. The very best you could ever hope for was to be a circuit overseers wife....oh goody!

one thing that did help me a bit, was all the bible page turning. I am faster in the bible than most people in my church. It was all of that going back and forth, back and forth, pulling scriptures from here and there to prove bizarre stuff.

• Garrett
    Garrett

Hey guys!

Just woke up and WOW! I did not expect so many responses. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and views :) it's been wonderful reading all of them.

Have a wonderful Sunday,

Garrett

• smiddy
    smiddy

Being in a cult has too many drawbacks and negatives resulting in a wasted life .However on a positive note the religious aspect , helped me overcome my teenage Alcohol dependency ,and my addiction to tobacco .

They are only the two positives I can think of .

No , their is one more .

Being in a cult and exiting it, eventually lead me to this site which opened my eyes to what a load of Codswollop ,all religion is.

I am convinced it was originally set up thousands of years ago to control the masses of people by the rulers of that time and has since got out of hand in this present day for anyone to control it.

smiddy

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    The actual leaving I feel had no real benefit. Having left my children have probably benefited more than me. Although one of my children recently discussed where financially they would have been had we as parents not been witnesses.I pointed out they may not have benefited from such a good christian upbringing had we not have been raised by Witnesses.
  • NVR2L8
    NVR2L8
    Ucantnome....this is exactly what I am talking about: who's to say your kids wouldn't have been better off not being raised as good Christians? Aren't there any good non believers? All religions and cults want you to believe life without them is worthless. Quoting the bible, isn't it Paul who says that people of the nations do what's good naturally? Today's root of social upheaval is religion, and although it may do good for some individuals it ruins collectivities.
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

NVR2L8

I used the word 'may' as we have no way of knowing what would have been or not been had we followed a different path however the I feel that our Christianity has influenced our lives not just in a negative way. An example maybe in being raised a Jehovah's Witness and seeking the kingdom first in life it meant that life was somewhat simpler. My father hardly ever worked overtime and gave up good jobs to attend meetings and be with the family (most times I wished he hadn't) taking less materially. Money was not something I was brought up to pursue. This in turn may have contributed to me having a similar viewpoint and being able to spend more time with the children and they benefitted from it. My decisions in some areas have cost me in financial terms whereas my children had the benefit of a good education and a stable home life when they were young with a good view of the importance or not of material things. They should end up better off financial than my parents and certainly better than me.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I never look at things the way the opening post asks.
    Example: The World Trade Center buildings came crashing down on Sept. 11, 2001, but a NYC firefighter/paramedic dragged a victim out and had to stay with the victim all the way to the emergency room. That same firefighter/paramedic met a nurse that day and they fell in love and married and have a ten and an eight year old child today.
    I don't see that as a reason to say "It wasn't all bad." I could also have put my example in the Nazi prison camps.

Any good that came of it was "IN SPITE OF IT," not credited to the cult. The price overall for any good was too high.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Comparing my life now to when we were cult members, we've gone from being made to feel like our own personal lives had no importance, to appreciating and enjoying our own existence. From having no self esteem or confidence in our own decision making capacity, to being ourselves without fear of other people's opinions. Mostly we've stopped being unknowing supporters of a cult organization that covers up child abuse and many kinds of crimes.

Marina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit