purplesofa

The children are hungry,

it's a horrible situation there.

Please help if you can.

Have a great day,

purps

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

• Hillary Clinton announced Wednesday that Americans could text the word "SWAT" to the number 50555 to donate $10 per SMS message to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees to provide tents, clothing, food, clean water and medicine to Pakistan.
    • American Red Cross seeks to raise $100,000 to aid its Pakistan equivalent — Pakistan Red Crescent — with teams on the ground providing food, other relief items and medical care. To donate, go to their website.
    • UNICEF is providing help with water, sanitation, health and nutrition for displaced children and families. To donate, please click here.
    • Stamford, Conn.-based AmeriCares is sending medical and other aid to the hardest-hit areas of the flood. Readers can donate through the AmeriCares website.
    • CARE needs donations for its health teams, mobile clinics and distribution of food, which will help 100,000 flood victims. To donate, go to their website .
    • Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres is providing water, sanitation help, hygiene kits, cooking utensils and other items to Pakistanis. Doctors Without Borders has also prepared itself to care for patients in case of cholera outbreaks. To donate to Doctors Without Borders, give to its emergency fund.
    • The International Medical Corps (IMC) has sent mobile medical teams of doctors and paramedics to assist victims in the hardest hit areas of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province in the northwest. To make a donation to the Santa Monica, Calif. based organization, founded by a UCLA doctor, go to the IMC website. The organization is also seeking doctors, nurses and trained professionals from a wide variety of fields. For more information and to volunteer, visit the Corps' website.
    • Westport, Conn.-based Save the Children, dedicated to helping children worldwide, is already providing medical care, food and shelter kits. To donate to its Pakistan efforts, click here.
    • Mercy Corps' Pakistan Emergency Fund supports Mercy Corps workers with their efforts in helping displaced families in the hard-hit Swat Valley. Visit the Mercy Corps website to donate to the Pakistan Emergency Fund.
    • The World Food Programme, the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger, is supplying food to the tens of thousands affected by the floods. To donate, visit the WFP website.
    • Islamic Relief Worldwide, a relief organization based in Birmingham, England, has launched a £2 million (or $3.2 million USD) appeal to deliver clean water, food and health care. You can donate here.
    • BRAC has temporarily halted its normal operations in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa to provide relief work. Due to the acute food shortage, BRAC Pakisan has begun to deliver food packets containing such items at rice, lentils, flour and water purification tables. In the immediate future, the team will also be distributing Oral Rehydration Salts (ORS) and sending out a medical team to begin assessing health needs. To donate, click here.
  • designs
    designs

purplesofa-

Post some Charities that have good access to the region.

The situation may flip the power structure in Pakistan to the military who are seen as the more responsive. The world would have a better feeling about Islam if the Islamic countries would stand ten deep and lead the relief efforts. These are the events that shape a Movements heritage just like the US taking on the role of the world's Caretaker after WWII.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Actually, I have been trying to find other charities.

I got one last night when watching something on TV and I copied the numbers down wrong, and I can't even remember what I was watching!!!!

I want to do something,

I always think if I were in a bad situation and needed help.

purps

• designs
    designs

Doctors Without Borders is excellent, I have been a corporate sponsor for years.

If a person gives to their local Food Bank goods and cash will be forwarded to the International branches.

Thanks for posting all of the Charities.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Here is a way to pledge only $5

purps

The White House Blog

Secretary Clinton: Text Your Disaster Relief Donation for Pakistan

Posted by Jesse Lee on May 19, 2009 at 01:11 PM EDT At her press briefing this morning, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton addressed a worsening humanitarian crisis in Pakistan, announcing a pledge of more than $100 million in humanitarian support. She explained that "Providing this assistance is not only the right thing to do, but we believe it is essential to global security and the security of the United States, and we are prepared to do more as the situation demands."

She also invited the American people to join in the world-wide effort to bring stability to Pakistan:

Now, Americans can use technology to help, as well. Using your cell phones, Americans can text the word "swat" -- to the number 20222 and make a $5 contribution that will help the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees provide tents, clothing, food, and medicine to hundreds of thousands of affected people. And before I came over here, we did that in the State Department. So we are making some of the first donations to this fund.
  • Dark Side
    Dark Side

Please help if you can

It seems that I already did, and I didn't even consent to it...

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=60533

U.S. Delivers More Than 1 Million Pounds in Pakistan Flood Relief

From a U.S. Central Command News Release

MACDILL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla., Aug. 20, 2010 – U.S. military aircraft supporting Pakistan’s flood relief efforts achieved a significant milestone today, exceeding 1 million pounds of relief supplies delivered since Aug. 5, when U.S. military relief flight operations in Pakistan began.

To date, U.S. military helicopters and C-130 aircraft have transported 1,164,470 pounds of relief supplies in partnership with the Pakistani military throughout flood-affected areas, delivering much-needed aid and providing transport to people who urgently need emergency assistance.

"We’re honored to partner together, side by side with the Pakistan military and government, helping Pakistanis in their time of need," said Navy Vice Adm. Michael A. LeFever, U.S. defense representative to Pakistan. "The courage and discipline displayed by the Pakistani military during this crisis has been truly impressive."

Within hours of receiving the Pakistani government's urgent request, U.S. military helicopters began conducting relief flights Aug. 5 and have since transported 849,170 pounds of aid and rescued 5,372 people. Meanwhile, U.S. military C-130 cargo aircraft based in Afghanistan began providing airlift support to Pakistan on Aug. 16 and have since delivered 315,300 pounds of relief supplies to multiple locations throughout the country.

In addition to airlift support, within 36 hours of the initial flooding on July 29, the U.S. military began delivering thousands of packaged meals that conform with Islamic law to Pakistan from U.S. stocks in Afghanistan and elsewhere in the region. In all, 436,944 meals were provided to civilian and military officials in Pakistan for distribution to Pakistanis in need.

"The ability of the U.S. government to respond so quickly to this disaster at the request of the government of Pakistan is a testament to the unique capabilities of the U.S. military and the U.S. commitment to helping the Pakistani people," LeFever said. "Pakistanis are our friends and partners, and we will continue to support them during this challenging time."

Flood relief support to Pakistan from the United States is being provided through a whole-of-U.S. government, interagency response. Relief efforts are being coordinated through the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, in full consultation with the Pakistan government, including Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority and other agencies.

The latest information on U.S. government support to Pakistan’s flood relief is available on the U.S. Embassy Islamabad website.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Thank-you Dark Side for your contribution!!!

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

Cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan has claimed that local and foreign donors are not providing adequate aid for victims of the country's worst floods because of the lack of credibility of the Pakistani government, which he branded as "corrupt". "It is an issue of credibility. The Pakistan People's Party-led government is corrupt and no one trusts it," he said.

Speaking at an iftaar dinner for donors of the Shaukat Khanum Hospital last evening, the Tehrik-e-Insaaf party Chairman said expatriates and foreigners had approached him and asked him to receive funds from them for the flood victims.

"They told me they have fears that if they deposit money in the government's relief fund, the amount will not reach the deserving," he said.

Giving for this fund (in the UK) is well below the funds raised for other disasters in recent years.

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

Thank-you Dark Side for your contribution!!!

I never gave it a second thought

Or a first one

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit