Computer game borrows Watchtower propaganda imagery

by daniel-p 12 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
  • daniel-p
    daniel-p

What do you think?

• blondie
    blondie

I've never seen an WT Armageddon picture with a nuclear bomb in the background. There are a few oblique references years ago.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Sigh… Blondie, doesn’t the general gist of the picture remind you of those lovely pictures of God’s people being the only ones saved during Armegeddon?

Yes, daniel-p, I can see what you mean.

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

yup looks like JW art

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

^^^ BLONDIE:

I remember either a WatchTower (probably) or an Awake! (possibly) from the very early 1980's that had a huge nuclear bomb mushroom cloud as it's cover. I'm going to say pre-1985. The issue's title was something about The End, Nuclear War, Armaggedon, etc, etc. Actually, I'm thinking the exact title was, "Armaggedon, When?" And I'm narrowing it in more on the year 1984. I have nearly a photographic memory, and this is what I recall.

I was born in 1979, and the imagery of the early 1980's WT's and Awake! magazines are forever BURNED into my psyche. Between the pink Paradise Lost, yellow Bible Stores Book, Revelation: It's Grand Climax at Hand, and the brutal and sadistic images in the magazines, it's amazing more people my age who grew up in Da Truth aren't de-sensitized psycho killers. Seriously, they wouldn't let me watch the Smurfs, Star Wars, E.T., or MJ's Thriller, but I was subjected to this apocolyptic imagery from the cradle to age 19 or so. I think was the worst in the 80's, though I can't speak for today's crap, it's probably just more subtle.

I mean, who can forget the classic images of the plane flying near the WTC Towers (erry now), the Pope with a snarl, the whore of babylon riding upon the Wild Beast, images of soldiers wearing gas masks, emaciated children from etheopia, drug users and whores in allleyways, bombs, stonings, blood, etc, etc, etc. And that's beside the whole talking about masturbation in the green "Family" book. Uggggh!!!!!!

- Wing Commander

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Fun game. I can see the similarities, but when I played it I always saw it as an absurdly over idealized 50's america to contrast with the post nuclear dystopia your character is placed in.

• sacolton
    sacolton

It mimics the look of art from the 40s.

• blondie
    blondie

WC, I do believe that was a general magazine about the nuclear race in the world. I was commenting on nuclear bombs going off during Armageddon. So did that cover show a line of people trying to escape a nuclear bomb during Armageddon?

• peacedog
    peacedog

definitely reminds me of WT propagada art... nice!

Wing Commander:

Seriously, they wouldn't let me watch the Smurfs, Star Wars, E.T., or MJ's Thriller, but I was subjected to this apocolyptic imagery from the cradle to age 19 or so. I think was the worst in the 80's, though I can't speak for today's crap, it's probably just more subtle.

Man, soooo true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit