a mosque at ground zero

by Adrianoblue 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Adrianoblue
    Adrianoblue

it has been probably discused here. well, anyway. what is your opinion about the moslems opening a mosque right next to the former twin towers?

• asilentone
    asilentone

I would not be surprised if some fanatics will take the mosque down right after it is built.

• beksbks
    beksbks

There are many threads here actually.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Actually, there actually here, actually.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Excellent post Burn, one of your best.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Hooray! I'm back on the forum after weeks away and BTS and Beks are still slugging it out. It brings tears of happiness to my eyes. ~sniff~

• beksbks
    beksbks

Welcome back toots!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah/LSELayout&cid=1209357781526

Mosques In Non-Muslim Countries

But the situation in Europe and America is different. Traditionally, they are Christian countries. Their culture, their outlook and their way of life are all built upon values that are influenced by their religion. Secularism is a new concept which did not go so deep in the conscience of the society that it could uproot the basic Christian values. Moreover, they consider their way of life far superior to others', and their expectation is that those who accept their hospitality should be absorbed in their culture.

We, Muslims, used to look to them as more advanced in civilization than we are. This is a fact of the situation that we should not ignore. To counter all these influences; to preserve our Islamic identity; to give to the community in which we live; to show that Muslims are there to enrich the host community - through the introduction of the new dimension in their life, the dimension of Islam - we have to be rationally and intellectually capable of presenting our case in the context that is appreciated by the people among whom we live.

The practical example is the most tangible, understandable demonstration. This should be more clearly shown in the institutions we evolve in the West. The most important of these institutions is the mosque. It is the symbol of Islam and Muslims. The mosque should be the focus of attention in presenting our religious experience.

To put it in practical terms, let's first focus on the requirements mentioned in the recommendations of the first Conference for the message of the mosque in relation to the design of the mosque, particularly the facilities for young people, women, and children. Many of the terraced houses used as mosques do not have facilities for women. Even some purpose-built mosques do not have such facilities. The orientation of Muslim institutions in the West is almost a male orientation. Young Muslim girls and Muslim women are to a large degree excluded from Islamic activities. This gives the impression that the Islamic religion is a male religion.

This is a serious challenge we must face. Our daughters and sisters are exposed to many cultural influences in the West. Unless and until we provide for them within the Islamic institutions real, meaningful Islamic alternatives, they will be absorbed in the other social institutions that cater for their youthful energy and cultural fulfillment.

Second, as to the role of the imam, most Muslim communities seem to be satisfied to receive the conventional services the imam in their native countries used to give them despite the limited prospective that was satisfying their limited needs there.

The imam in the West is a reflection of the Muslim community. He is their link with the people around. If he is able to communicate, to express his convictions, and to answer questions, then he is an asset to them. Schools, hospitals, and local authorities call upon the imam, as they are used to calling upon the priest. An imam who cannot speak English or the local language of the country he resides in is a hindrance to the function of the mosque and a disservice to the Islamic cause.

The Muslim community must face up to the challenge of the new environment in terms of improving their institutions, the functionaries in these institutions, and the facilities they provide for their members. Above all, they have to improve their image culturally, religiously, and educationally through the improvement of the image of the mosque as the pilot of the light of Islam.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I luvs me this legal eagle redhead. Welcome back sister.

BTS

• Lost-In-Translation
    Lost-In-Translation

The Muslim community in New York City do have the right to build their Mosque/Islamic Community Center two blocks away from Ground Zero. Legally, they can build whatever they want on private property. However, does it make sense to do so?

I believe the private owners of the property should be sensitive to the memory of the nearly 3,000 people who were murdered on September 11, 2001. It is true that not all Muslims should be blamed for the acts of a few radical Islamic terrorits. Nevertheless, it is still truly difficult to forget the images of Muslims in various countries cheering, dancing, and praising the terrorist attacks the day after. The suicide attackers were from different countries - but what united them in cause and purpose was their faith - Islam. A close friend of mine comes from an Muslim househould. He now is an atheist. He mentioned to me that his father, who lives in Europe, thought the attacks might be an answer from Allah to the "unholy zionist nation" of the United States. My friend's father is not a radical Islamist, but an ordinary man who owns his own business and is fully intergated in Western life.

Another line of reasoning is the following - what will they teach at the Mosque/Islamic Community Center that is just a mere 2 blocks away? Will it teach tolerance, true love of neighbor, acceptance of women's rights, respect for the American way of life? The thought that such values might not be taught there - a place so near the final resting place of thousands of people - truly upsets most US citizens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit