Believers, is this really the way it works?

by startingover 12 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

How is the dead lady going to forgive him? What makes you think she wants to? If I was in her shoes I surely wouldn't. I find it interesting that believers can take statements made in the bible and extrapolate them to the extreme to make them fit what they want to believe. Why don't you do this with the rapist's words? How do you know he didn't repent?

And it seems to be real easy to talk about forgiving someone when you are not the one that has been murdered. Of course statistics are impossible in this situation, but do you really think if it was possible to poll people who were murdered that any of them would forgive? I seriously doubt it.

I personally think this is a simple cartoon that emphasizes the ridiculousness of "accepting christ". An eye for an eye makes much more sense.

• tec
    tec

What makes you think she wants to?

Because I would want to. Just being in heaven would make me want to forgive anything from anyone, even now I would want to, in the hopes that they could repent and find the same peace and happiness that I have. Because that peace, that love, that happiness - it does not harm anyone, so neither could they continue to harm if they feel these things.

And it seems to be real easy to talk about forgiving someone when you are not the one that has been murdered. Of course statistics are impossible in this situation, but do you really think if it was possible to poll people who were murdered that any of them would forgive? I seriously doubt it.

People who have been raped, beaten, abused, molested, etc. have forgiven those who have harmed them. So I don't seriously doubt it - especially not if there is something (life in Christ) after death. The joy of that would necessitate mercy and forgiveness, I think.

An eye for an eye makes much more sense.

Isn't there a saying for that? An eye for an eye - and eventually the whole world is blind?

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I have seen what happens to those that don't forgive, how the hatred an danger eats away at them and I have seen what happens when people forgive, how the healing can start and how lives goes on.

Forgiveness is the hardest thing for us to do when someone wrongs us, but it's the thing we want when we wrong someone.

All of us have wronged someone in one way or another and one point in our lives and we really don't know ALL the ramifications of that, we don't know the scars that it left behind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit