The Sleeping Spirit Doctrine...Can "You" Survive?

by Cold Steel 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well, if the soul is only sleeping and if that sleep state last untill Judgment day then, in certain point of view, the soul is immortal, immortal untill it is destroyed ( if it is destryoed).

The soul then is either dead and nothing, like the body or it is immortal in the sense of NOT dead ( not mortal = immortal).

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    In JW theology, the spirit of man is a myth. When you die, you cease to exist! Then, an indeterminate time later, God recreates you. But is it you or a copy? Certainly it has all the parts right and not a hair on your head will be missing, we're told. But is it you or Memorex?

Yeah. I raised this question when I was 8 or 9 years old at the weekly book study. I never got an answer that satisfied me.

This is the page that provoked my question "How is it really me?":

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Wow Leo, that is an horrific example.

Why would God need to do that if all God had to do was make it so that what a person WAS, survived the physical death.

You know, something liek the person's spirit...

Yeah, I know, crazy talk !!!

• elderelite
    elderelite

here is the most recent food at the proper time on this:

w063/15p.4TheOnlyRemedy!

After a person dies, what is resurrected? It cannot be the body, which decays and returns to the dust of the ground. What is resurrected is not the same body but the same person who died. Thus, resurrection involves the restoration of the life pattern of the individual—his personality traits, his personal history, and all the details of his identity.

Jehovah God, who is perfect in memory, has no problem remembering the life patterns of those who have died. (Isaiah 40:26) Since he is the Originator of life, Jehovah can readily bring back to life the same person in a newly formed body.

Clearly we are all memorex

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well, I recall a passage in an OT book, can't remember which one, that describes the ressurection of the bodies of the dead.

The bones re-forming, muscle and skin re-attaching...it was one of the prophetic ones....

Ezekiel I think....

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Yeah, Ezekiel 37:

The Valley of Dry Bones

37 The hand of the Lord came upon me, and he brought me out by the spirit of the Lord and set me down in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. 2 He led me all around them; there were very many lying in the valley, and they were very dry. 3 He said to me, “Mortal, can these bones live?” I answered, “O Lord God , you know.” 4 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones, and say to them: O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord . 5 Thus says the Lord God to these bones: I will cause breath a to enter you, and you shall live. 6 I will lay sinews on you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath b in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord .”

7 So I prophesied as I had been commanded; and as I prophesied, suddenly there was a noise, a rattling, and the bones came together, bone to its bone. 8 I looked, and there were sinews on them, and flesh had come upon them, and skin had covered them; but there was no breath in them. 9 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, mortal, and say to the breath: c Thus says the Lord God : Come from the four winds, O breath, d and breathe upon these slain, that they may live.” 10 I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood on their feet, a vast multitude.

11 Then he said to me, “Mortal, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They say, ‘Our bones are dried up, and our hope is lost; we are cut off completely.’ 12 Therefore prophesy, and say to them, Thus says the Lord God : I am going to open your graves, and bring you up from your graves, O my people; and I will bring you back to the land of Israel. 13 And you shall know that I am the Lord , when I open your graves, and bring you up from your graves, O my people. 14 I will put my spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you on your own soil; then you shall know that I, the Lord , have spoken and will act, says the Lord .‘

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit